No announcement yet.

Best Ever British Striker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I wasn't crying to see him go either, I can't stand eejits who seem to think professionals are anything but mercenary. No one owes any club anything. This Means More is meaningless. I was really embarrassed by mates that took Sterling making the right decision and going to Man City as some kind of insult.

and also, I was pathetically excited about the raw potential of Cisse and the jinky loveliness of Baros. That both were Ngog level pish.... wasn't to be known then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I mean, I get Bull and perhaps the dartsist, but...
      I know - weird, isn't it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        and also, I was pathetically excited about the raw potential of Cisse and the jinky loveliness of Baros. That both were Ngog level pish.... wasn't to be known then.
        Bit unfair to Cisse. He broke his leg twice and was badly mishandled by Benitez. I mean he was no Fernando Torres but he's have done much better in a team set up for him and in which he got regular starts. He played 40-odd times for France in an era with amongst others, Dugarry, Henry, Trezeguet, Anelka, Govou and Wiltord up front. His crime was to have been signed by Houllier right as he left and was therefore not a Benitez player.
        Last edited by hobbes; 29-03-2023, 13:05.

Comment

France had terrible coaches as well though. I get the leg break thing (this also applies to Baros), but the biggest flaws were terrible decision making, no composure, and a game based on just being really really fast.

Comment

So terrible they won in '98 and came runner-up in 2006?

Comment

Yeah, from 2004-2010 (the timeframe we are talking about), they had a showpony fanny of a coach.

Comment

I saw Hirst at Barnsley in 86-87? He certainly had the look of someone who could’ve gone all the way to the top. WasntFergie torn between Hirst or Cantona? Or have I imagined that?

Comment

Greaves for me. My dad and all his mates had Greaves and Edwards down as Englands best ever. Charles, Best, Dalglish for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                    I saw Hirst at Barnsley in 86-87? He certainly had the look of someone who could’ve gone all the way to the top. WasntFergie torn between Hirst or Cantona? Or have I imagined that?
                    Ferguson (apparently) made a number of big money bids for Hirst. I've heard numbers like 4.5 million and 3 million plus Mark Hughes. (back when that was real money). But I have no idea how true the stories are (I think Trevor Francis's autobiography is one of the sources)

Comment

You’d expect me to say Mark Carter or Liam Robinson. But was it not Brian Clough? His record at Boro and Sunderland was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                        Not even. I think Ferguson mentions in his autobiography, in 91-92 they made a few attempts to sign Hirst. After a shaky start to the 92-93 season, with United desperate for goals they were finally prepared to meet Wednesday's asking price, only for Hirst to get an untimely injury. They then rang up Leeds instead, asking if they'd consider a £1 million offer for Lee Chapman. After being left waiting on the phone for a few minutes, they were told "No, but you can have Cantona instead if you want."

Comment

I've heard that the other way round: that Leeds rang up to inquire about (I think) Denis Irwin, and that Martin Edwards (who took the call) was in the room with Fergie at the time, and Fergie told him to tell them Irwin wasn't for sale but to ask how much they wanted for Cantona. I think they were unaware at the time that Cantona had handed in a transfer request a day or two earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                            You’d expect me to say Mark Carter or Liam Robinson. But was it not Brian Clough? His record at Boro and Sunderland was incredible.
                            251 League goals though 250 were scored in Second Division.

Comment

I was too young to see the best of Denis Law, although looking at old clips, what a great finisher. Dalglish was different class as an overall forward and definitely the best ever Scottish forward , although Law was the better goalscorer. It a pity that in the last 30 years of so that Scotland haven’t had a great pure goalscorer, especially with the huge amount of qualifying games and the amount of minnows in the groups (team even more “minnowish” than Scotland).

Law and Dalglish are still Scotland’s top goalscorers with 30. Law did it in 54 games; Dalglish in 102.

John McGinn has scored an astonishing 16 goals for Scotland and is now 7th in the all time top scorers for Scotland. Although he plays further forward for Scotland than he does for Villa, it’s still midfield, so an incredible feat and hopefully lots more goals to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                Rooney for me. The most complete player there, ridiculous finishing ability inside and outside the box, athletic, gutsy - the kid had the lot.
                                I'm gonna throw Peter Crouch into the conversation as well. A player who looked even better for England than he did in the Premier League.

Comment

graham_chapman_stop_that_silly.jpg

Comment

There was a fantastic moment when Timoty Atouba, then the Spurs left back sold Crouchy, then with either saints or villa three step over dummies in his own penalty area before calmly gliding beyond him. I think that was about 2005.

Comment

One of the best I've seen live, and who's been unworthy of a mention so far, is Frank Worthington. Top scorer in the top division, in his only full season with Bolton. The grace and skill he showed in a league full of cloggers and heavy pitches, was something to behold.

Comment

I've come on here to put forward the name of someone who played for my club - just like everyone else has done. Unfortunately we've never had anyone who is more than 6 out of 10 at best.

If this is done for midfielders though then the correct answer is Ronnie Glavin.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                                          I've come on here to put forward the name of someone who played for my club - just like everyone else has done. Unfortunately we've never had anyone who is more than 6 out of 10 at best.
                                          That's not true. I named one for you.

Comment

If this is done for midfielders though then the correct answer is Ronnie Glavin.
                                            Steve Bull never played for Shrewsbury.

Comment

I’ll probably go with Dalglish as the complete player, but Greaves is probably the best goal scorer.

If Shearer never did his knee, he’d be right at the top.

I’m a little surprised at how difficult this is. There isn’t an obvious candidate and I thought there would be.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Greaves and Lineker were also successful abroad, though Greaves was unable to settle culturally.
                                                I’m surprised you didn’t mention Rush here, who wasn’t as bad as people think. Top scored for Juventus, and only five players got double digits in Serie A that season. He scored 20% of their league goals, which is hardly terrible.

He probably could have stuck it out another year, or certainly found another Italian club, but he also was unable to settle culturally. Also, the style of that time was very hard on strikers. Bergkamp talked about it in his book, and while Rush wouldn’t have dropped back as much as Bergkamp did I suspect he had similar “man alone on island” vibes.

Comment

Tommy Taylor, maybe?

Comment

My failure to mention Rush is likely grounded in a real difference between how he is remembered in Italy and how Greaves is remembered, along with my deep seated anti-Juve bias. I don't know if the expectations were higher, or if the cultural disconnect triggered some defensiveness, but he is considered a flop, whereas Greaves is seen as a missed opportunity.

Aldridge is also respected in Spain, as is Toshack, who I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X