Best Ever British Striker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Ever British Striker

With Kane recently breaking the international goalscoring record, I thought we'd do this
    Rush
    11.59%
    Shearer
    5.80%
    Greaves
    23.19%
    Kane
    1.45%
    Law
    5.80%
    Lineker
    7.25%
    Keegan
    8.70%
    Rooney
    8.70%
    John Charles
    7.25%
    Someone Else
    20.29%

Kane broke the English international goalscoring record.

Comment

You're probably right not to include Geoff Hurst, but it reinforces how "show us your international medals" is a pretty flawed measure. I voted for Greaves, who never got near one.

Comment

Where's Julie Fleeting, the only UK striker with over 100 international goals?

Comment

Arthur Scargill and Red Robbo should be in that poll surely?

Comment

George Best, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
              Where's Julie Fleeting, the only UK striker with over 100 international goals?
              Do you think she was a better player than any of those listed?

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                George Best, perhaps?
                If we are going forward line rather than pure striker then Dalglish should be on there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

If we are going forward line rather than pure striker then Dalglish should be on there too.
                  I voted Keegan in a massive brain fart, thinking it was Dalglish.

No idea. Not that Keggy Keegle was a bad striker, mind.

Comment

Obviously it's all just pointless reckons, but I'd say at international level Dalglish was an under-achiever. If it's club football, then King Kenny is in, like Best.

Comment

Rooney for me. The most complete player there, ridiculous finishing ability inside and outside the box, athletic, gutsy - the kid had the lot.

Comment

Greaves. But it's a matter of time and place. My Dad would have said 'Dixie' Dean, and given Dean's goal scoring record it'd be hard to argue with.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                          George Best, perhaps?
                          Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Bale too.

Comment

Disappointed to see Ivan Toney not on there.

I went for Greaves, even though I never saw him play, obviously.

Comment

Voting with my heart and not my head, I went for Rush.

Comment

Can we not legally compel all those who chose Someone Else to say who in a post?

Paul S
                                Capybara
                                ad hoc
                                Fussbudget
                                Big Oggy
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-03-2023, 06:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  Kane broke the English international goalscoring record.
                                  Not that it’s a thing but Kane is the British record holder too. The rest are 30-41.

Comment

Can we not legally compel all those who chose Someone Else to say who in a post?
                                    Oh, another "High Court Judge" moment for me! I didn't even know our votes weren't in a secret ballot. Must remember that next time we do "how do you feel about Sting" or any other issue where only the bravest will stand apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Botswana Meat Commission View Post

Not that it’s a thing but Kane is the British record holder too. The rest are 30-41.
                                      There is no British international team, so no record.

Comment

There is no British international team, so no record.
                                        The “not that it’s a thing” was the giveaway there. Either way, he’s scored more goals at international level than any other British player.

Comment

Well, we talk about European record holders in athletics, though there's no European team.

Comment

I can only imagine the lack of votes for Keegan is due to people not being old enough to remember him. He was superb week in week out at Liverpool - almost unplayable at times.

Comment

Paul S
                                              Capybara
                                              ad hoc
                                              Fussbudget
                                              Big Oggy
                                              I had no individual in mind but the survey is limited to players within the living memory of at least some on here. Had there been no Someone Else option I'd have probably also plumped for Jimmy Greaves but I'm sure that there are strikers from the past who were, at least, better than one or more on the list. The names of Bloomer, Gallacher, Clough, Dean, Camsell, Dooley and Bambrick spring to mind and I'm sure there are others.

Comment

Brian Little, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                                  I had no individual in mind but the survey is limited to players within the living memory of at least some on here. Had there been no Someone Else option I'd have probably also plumped for Jimmy Greaves but I'm sure that there are strikers from the past who were, at least, better than one or more on the list. The names of Bloomer, Gallacher, Clough, Dean, Camsell, Dooley and Bambrick spring to mind and I'm sure there are others.
                                                  I, on the other hand, did have a striker in mind. I can't really comment on Greaves, Law, or Charles as they were before my time, but of the pure strikers I have seen play, the best was David Hirst. Now I am fully prepared to believe that if I saw, say, Lineker or Rooney or Rush or Shearer in the flesh on more than a couple of occasions each I might see it differently, as live football is really where you see how good a player really is. In other words, I suspect my choice is partially influenced by exposure (but I don't believe it is parochialism). Hirst was strong and fast and could run at people and had a cracking shot and above all scored loads of goals. So, he would be my vote.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X