Gary Megson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary Megson

Out of interest does anybody have something good to say about him? Although Bolton's predicament is not solely down to him, I’ve been pondering all weekend again how he managed to land the job in the first place.

Gary Megson

We kicked it about a bit on the old board when he was appointed, and I can't recall anyone having a single good word for him.

Comment

Gary Megson

If Bolton can't save themselves, I think they'll struggle to bounce quickly back. There will be so much competition locally for their star names in the summer, what with Man City, Wigan, Blackburn and maybe even Stoke in the Premiership, that I don't think they'll keep many of those who still fancy themselves as "top-flight" players, parachute payment or not.

Comment

Gary Megson

Honestly we hardly have anyone worth having at the moment. Don't think a player exodus will be major issue. What has begun to worry me is having Megson in charge of rebuilding. The local rag is reporting that his job is safe if we go down.

There's also rumours of new ownership and a return of Alladyce which would not be ideal but probably better than what we've got.

Comment

Gary Megson

While listening to the Radio on Saturday afternoon, Iwan Roberts (Norwich and Wales fame) went onto barrage against Megson and his Reserve Side in the UEFA Cup, and stated he would love them to get relegated. Just as well Megson can't understand a word he said really, because he was bloody right.

Comment

Gary Megson

I can only think well of Megson in so far as he pulled up everybody's bootstraps when he came to West Brom and invested some much needed discipline, direction and objective into the playing side, getting rid of deadwood and bringing in players who would work as a unit and not as if they just larked about on the pitch aimlessly and poorly.

The style of football was wretched, but, on the results-based side of it, he worked wonders, bearing in mind we couldn't put two wins together previously before he came. Purpose was the quality he both possesed and brought in, and I'm thankful for that alone.

Pity his methods don't seem to bear fruit now, in lower league or the highest.

Comment

Gary Megson

Bolton played really well for an hour on Saturday, helped by Arsenal's extreme limpness. If they performed like that in their remaining games they would stay up. But they won't.

Comment

Gary Megson

Aldo Simoncini wrote:
                While listening to the Radio on Saturday afternoon, Iwan Roberts (Norwich and Wales fame) went onto barrage against Megson and his Reserve Side in the UEFA Cup, and stated he would love them to get relegated. Just as well Megson can't understand a word he said really, because he was bloody right.
                To be fair to Megson on this one. It wasn't his sole decision to play the team he did. The board will have had input into this as well. In terms of installing discipline, there seems to be an awful lot of indiscipline from the players at the moment and one senses all is not well in their relationship with the manager. Mind you they managed to speed up the departure of Sammy Lee by doing the exact same thing.

Comment

Gary Megson

I'll always have several good words to say about Gary Megson, given that he took a club that had underachieved criminally for decades (West Brom)and took us to the Premiership. Yes, it was only for one season but it was the boost that we needed and our canny old chairman has built on that first success pretty well since. So now we are a yo-yo club and sad as it may be, I'll take that over what we had pre-Megson.

I know all Forest fans will disagree with me, but I think if they'd stuck with Megson, they'd be out of that division by now.

As for the Bolton, it was the most staggering appointment since John Barnes at Celtic, given his appalling record in his 1 and a half seasons in the Premiership with West Brom.

Comment

Gary Megson

The Ginger Whinger is one of my pet hate figures, he ticks all the wrong boxes for me. Wednesday born and bred for starters, shit stirring re. Battle of Bramall Lane as well. The fact that he seems close to Robson in terms of Managerial effectiveness is a bonus to me. One of the few bright spots in an otherwise poor season has been the fact that I have witnessed us turning both Leicester and Bolton over on their patches whilst he was in charge. Both teams bore all the hallmarks of his "style". One paced, defensive set ups at home and completely feckless performances. Why the hell he chose 5 at the back against us at Leicester in particular remains a mystery. We had not won away in 11 months and had Robson in charge for Christ sake. The only credible reason I can think of was that the Bolton deal was all settled and he was trying to get the sack in order to get a decent pay off from Manderic.

Comment

Gary Megson

I know all Forest fans will disagree with me, but I think if they'd stuck with Megson, they'd be out of that division by now.
                      What, relegated again? I really thought he did a terrible job at Forest - and that the way they started winning all the time the instant he left kind of didn't help to dispel that impression. I reckon if they'd got rid a few weeks earlier, they could have been promoted that season.

Comment

Gary Megson

For some reason he decided to replace Nicolas Anelka with Gregorz Raziak. My polish flatmates tell me that Raziak is known as "wooden-legs" in his home country because.... He plays like his legs are made of wood.

Comment

Gary Megson

I want to defend Rasiak cos he did score a fair few goals for Saints. In a lumbering around slowly for a bit but able to hit the target if the ball comes close enough kind of way.

Plus, flashy green boots. I like the flashy green boots.

Comment

Gary Megson

I bet nearly every single one of them was a header?

Comment

Gary Megson

I deliberately didn't mention that bit.

Comment

Gary Megson

Raziak is known as "wooden-legs" in his home country because.... He plays like his legs are made of wood

This didn't seem to be a problem for WC 74 winner Bernd Holzenbein.

I liked Megson as a player. He's no worse than most of the other whining managers? Daftest at the moment must be Hodgson, he described Derby as a good team on Saturday.

Comment

Gary Megson

His name has got some pretty good anagrams:

http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=garymegson&t=1000

Comment

Gary Megson

Gamy goners.

Well, gamy for the first hour at least.

Comment

Working...
                                    X