Every Day Is Non-League Day For Some, Matchgoing March 24th - 30th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every Day Is Non-League Day For Some, Matchgoing March 24th - 30th

NLD has moved from its old position of during the October international window to March (this actually may have happened last season, I can't recall).

https://twitter.com/nonleaguedayuk/status/1637175160607219714?s=61&t=AGYaHxwtRU_HNs0TqPMaJg

I wasn't actually going to a football game this Saturday as there was nothing attractive close by (I'd planned to see Surbiton v Wimbledon in hockey or The Varsity Match at Twickenham) but have just seen that Pitshanger Dynamo are hosting Clapton CFC in the Middlesex County Premier at Brentham Park, Ealing. The visitors alone should ensure a good crowd.

Tuesday night is Cymru v Latvia in Cardiff in the Euro 2024 Qualifiers as the start (at home, at least) of a daunting new era for the national side. It's my first Wales game post World Cup as family and work commitments meant I couldn't make it to Croatia for Saturday's match.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-03-2023, 16:11.

I was going to call this thread almost exactly the same thing...

Comment

Oh, and check the start time of the Pitshanger game. According to Non-League Matters, it's half-two, but if the buggers are owt like Cricklewood, it'll actually kick-off at two...

Comment

Thank you, I will do just that.

Comment

There's a local derby in the Cymru North on Friday night between Llandudno and Conwy Borough that I quite fancy... unfortunately its being played at the much less local Bangor, which will probably rule me out. But then my weekend will likely bring back-to-back four figure crowds for Welsh domestic league games which can't have happened to too many people before, so I shouldn't be greedy.

On Saturday its the Cymru North top of the table clash; Colwyn Bay (currently on 25 consecutive league wins) host Holywell Town (on 22 consecutive league wins); something's got to give.

On Sunday it's Wrexham vs Connah's Quay in the Adran North at the Racecourse. The Rob & Ryan Effect (TM) means they've sold over 5,000 tickets for it, which means its being touted as the biggest ever domestic league attendance (men's or women's) in Wales.

No Wales matches for me – too skint – so be nice to whoever is in my seat, Ray. Or, actually, don't, otherwise they might want it again.

Comment

I’m going to spend my Saturday getting beaten up by my four year old nephew and most likely my one year old nephew, too, who now staggers around like a drunken old man.

If I was going anywhere I may have chosen Buckhurst Hill v Saffron Walden Town in the Essex Senior League. The Essex Senior League offers the possibility over the next sixteen days of filling thirteen of those days with Essex Senior League Football, starting with Redbridge v Stansted this evening. Spending your disposable income and leisure time in salubrious places like Newham Leisure Centre, Sirona Medical Arena and Ashton Playing Fields is exactly how the Bible says to spend the final weeks of Lent and who could argue with the book?

Comment

My under 12s play their first ever 11 a side game on Saturday morning in a friendly against Droitwich Spa Dynamos.

I'm actually quite nervous about it.

Comment

Tomorrow night I'm going to Goodison Park to watch the Merseyside Derby in the WSL. I then have the excitement of watching Southport (last two games - 0-0, 0-0) three times in five days. First up is Saturday's trip to Scarborough, which will re-complete the National League North for me. Monday and Wednesday see us involved in two county cup semi finals - Monday is a trip to Marine in the Liverpool Senior Cup (winners play Runcorn Linnets) then on Wednesday we go to Leyland to play Ashton Athletic in the Lancashire Trophy (winners play Atherton Collieries).

Comment

Wrexham away on Saturday. Anything better than a 4-0 defeat and getting away relatively unmolested by the local ruffians will probably constitute a successful day out. The groundhopping app reminded me the other day that my last visit to the Racecourse was 20 years ago this week. Those few previous visits generally saw crowds around the 4,000 mark with never more than a couple of hundred away fans. Saturday is a 10k sell-out with over 900 tickets sold for the away end. I'd like to say that's the effect of Non-League Day, but it probably isn't, is it…

Then on Tuesday Scunny come to the Legodome for what feels like the 8-millionth rearranged midweek match of the season.

Comment

Anyone in the environs of West Yorkshire on Saturday could do no worse than make their way to Thackley, where you could more than likely see North Ferriby get the single point they require to be crowned champions of the North East Counties League Premier Division. It's a bag of cans, pocket meat and real ale micropub trip for a few of us, and I reckon there's going to be a healthy away following.

Comment

Barry Town v Pontardawe Town on Saturday.

If Llanelli and Briton Ferry draw on Friday night, Barry will go into the game knowing that a win will mean they are Cymru South champions.

I'm doing my patriotic duty on Tuesday and staying home because Wales always seem to lose when I go and watch them.

Comment

Herne Bay v Enfield in the Isthmian Premier on Saturday. Miss TMT is coming along for a day at the seaside, after initially getting confused and thinking I was taking her to Margate. Any excuse for a paddle in the sea.

Comment

It seems quite perverse of me on Non-League Day to be doing Stevenage v Salford. It's not about wanting to see Steve Evans in action but a new tick on my way back to the Midlands.

I'm making up for it during the rest of the week. On Tuesday, it's Sheffield v Worksop Town. The visitors have just been crowned champions of the NPL East and when I saw them earlier this season they were very impressive.

Then for me a rare visit to the 11th tier for a red hot local derby between Stapleford Town and Sandiacre Town in the Notts Senior League.

And I've just noticed that on Thursday there's a rearranged fixture between Selston and Anstey Nomads in the UCL Premier though that may be one match too many for me. If I do go, it should guarantee me the final post on this thread.

Lots of S's in this week's schedule - 6 out of 8.

Comment

Baguley Athletic v Horwich RMI in the Manchester League tomorrow.

As for Tuesday nothing stands out. Altrincham v Notts County is the only game within reach with anything riding on it but forking out £20 for no other reason than I'd like to see the visitors lose isn't really something I can justify. I might go to watch West in a mid-table affair at Prestwich Heys or I might just stay at home.

Comment

No game for the Bohs mens senior team, but the women are playing Peamount United tomorrow at 3pm. On Sunday it's off to Croke Park for Dublin v Louth in Gaelic Football. Dublin only need a draw for promotion, but if Louth win, they go up on head to head results.

Comment

Hammm, my Saturday afternoon match has already been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch given the rain & hail storms over London today.

The understandable propensity for games to fall by the wayside is a slight problem with NLD. Must assess my other options.

Comment

AFC have switched the next five home games to Seel Park in Mossley, so I’ll be there today for the game versus Kendal. I’d love to have gone by train and done a few pubs in the foothills of the Pennines but there’s engineering works, so I’m on the free coach laid on by the club.

Comment

Top of the table clash in League Two. Dumbarton visiting new leaders Stirling Albion at Forthbank.

We're either going to see a reaction to last week's drubbing at the hands of Albion Rovers or we're going to get absolutely horsed.

Comment

I've got to say, it's amazing. They've luckily managed to schedule the annual "GO AND PATRONISE YOUR LOCAL SEMI-PRO / AMATEUR FOOTBALL CLUB 'CAUSE YOU'VE GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO AND YOU LIKE A BIT OF THE FOOTY DON;T YOU? DON'T YOU? NUDGE NUDGE, WINK, WINK. (But not in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland because there be Dragons) DAY" for an international weekend AGAIN.

Bangor 1876 V Saltney Town for me, No Programmes, £4 for adults, Cloudy with 10% chance of rain according to the Met Office, and they're never wrong
                                      Last edited by Kowalski; 25-03-2023, 09:02.

Comment

East Fife 2-0 Elgin City (Scottish League 2)

Knowing we'd be on holiday in Fife this weekend I'd checked out the fixtures months ago and targeted Dundee v Raith, only for Rovers to reach the diddy cup final and scupper that. Plan B was Montrose v Dunfermline, but then family meet-ups ruled Saturday afternoon out. What to do? Fortunately, East Fife had moved their game to Friday night to avoid clashing with the Scotland game and so it was that I headed to New Bayview for my first taste of Scottish domestic football.

With it being an 8pm ko, the ground failed to live up to its name as the only thing visible across the bay was the lights of an oil rig. Never mind, the bar was welcoming and busy, and the crowd much larger than I'd expected - not found a published attendance figure yet but it felt higher than the usual 5-600 with loads of younger fans gathered in Block A and providing vocal encouragement to the home team.

The match was littered with fouls, and despite several players showing good technique and a nice touch, this somehow didn't translate into very many flowing team moves. Elgin were fast on the break but conceded after 35 minutes when Fife centre back Steele headed powerfully home from a corner. Right on HT Elgin had their best chance to equalise when a fine cross was met with a stooping header that the keeper clawed out as he fell backwards, but with him helpless on his back the rebound was somehow only forced onto the post and then hacked away.

Elgin had another decent chance soon after the break but East Fife had most of the possession and chances, and their pressure eventually told when striker Shepherd nipped in front of an Elgin defender just as he swung his foot to clear the ball in the box. Needless to say he upended Shepherd and Trouten duly dispatched the penalty to give Fife a good win that moves them up to 3rd place in League 2. Thoroughly enjoyed my night out, I hope to do more of this sort of thing when finances allow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                          I've got to say, it's amazing. They've luckily managed to schedule the annual "GO AND PATRONISE YOUR LOCAL SEMI-PRO / AMATEUR FOOTBALL CLUB 'CAUSE YOU'VE GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO AND YOU LIKE A BIT OF THE FOOTY DON;T YOU? DON'T YOU? NUDGE NUDGE, WINK, WINK. (But not in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland because there be Dragons) DAY" for an international weekend AGAIN.

Bangor 1876 V Saltney Town for me, No Programmes, £4 for adults, Cloudy with 10% chance of rain according to the Met Office, and they're never wrong
                                          I'm struggling to understand if you have an actual objection and, if so, what it's to?

NLD is very deliberately always in an international window and Wales. Scotland & NI have their own football pyramids.

Wouldn't it be a bit patronising to treat them as if they were part of the English system and unilaterally declare them as part of the event?
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-03-2023, 10:51.

Comment

is everyone here aware of the planned removal of sick pay for National league footballers?

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                              . (But not in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland because there be Dragons)
                                              Um, but we do have dragons

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                Barry Town v Pontardawe Town on Saturday.

If Llanelli and Briton Ferry draw on Friday night, Barry will go into the game knowing that a win will mean they are Cymru South champions.
                                                I think most Barry fans were watching the results last night. It was a draw down in Llanelli.

Feeling a bit excited now.

Comment

Arrived in time for a two o'clock kick-off at Vale Farm. Cricklewood Wanderers are playing Camden United at half-two...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X