Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro 2024 Qualifiers

Two queries on Italy v England tomorrow:

1) Is it the first time the finalists from the previous Euros are both in the same group?

2) Did England want to play their most difficult group game as their first fixture in the group?

Nations have no input on their fixtures any more, it's all centrally scheduled.

Comment

I didn't realise that Ireland were home to Latvia in a friendly tonight. I presume the visitors see it as a suitable warm-up for playing Wales.

There is a strange sound on the coverage, like reverb or the noise from building work. I wondered if it might be some kind of echo off empty seats but the commentator has just lauded the size of the crowd.

Comment

Just had to turn it off as the audio was genuinely making me feel ill. It's like something from a CIA psyop.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-03-2023, 20:26.

Comment

The sound is fixed and Latvia have come back from 2-0 with two long range strikes that the Irish keeper looked pretty ropey on.

Comment

Typical recent Irish performance. Start well and look impressive, then concede a goal from nothing, and heads and shape disappear. We'll probably nick a late winner, although France on Monday is not one I'm looking forward to.

Comment

Genius substitutions by Kenny, Johnson hits the post with his first piece of play, then Ogbene puts away the rebound ,both within a minute of coming on.
              Last edited by elguapo4; 22-03-2023, 21:33.

Comment

I'd need a Football Cliches Adjudication Panel verdict on it it was Johnston's "first touch" when he ran about twenty yards with the ball prior to shooting. I think we would have had an own goal from the Latvian defender who prodded the rebound goalward for some reason had Ogbene not finished it off.

McLean looks like he's spent his time at Wigan sampling the town's most famous product, he was out of breath running on the pitch as sub.

Comment

I thought Latvia were worryingly competent there.

Comment

One to watch for the England game: I am told Mateo Retegui is in with a chance of starting up front for Italy. He's an Argentine who's been scoring plenty of goals for Tigre on loan from Boca for the last year and a bit. At the start of this year (the new season) he opted to stay on loan at Tigre rather than return to Boca because while he's definitely the best centre forward currently contracted to Boca, he knew he'd probably just end up sitting on the bench all the time there because their manager's a dick. He's seemingly got a few big European clubs sniffing around, and accepted his Italy callup a couple of weeks ago because he's fully aware he'd be approximately fifteenth choice centre forward for Argentina. If he does get on the pitch at all it will be at once fully deserved for him, and a bit of an indictment of Italy's strength in attack. I sort of want him to score against England just to embarrass Boca a bit more.

Comment

I don’t want to overhype him but Evan Ferguson has incredible potential. Whereas Scotland’s striker options make me want to burst into tears.

Comment

La Gazzetta thinks that Retegui is going to start against England, but not all Italian sources agree.

Mancini said yesterday that Retegui reminds him of Batistuta when he arrived in Italy, so no pressure on the kid.

Comment

Italy will have a tribute to Gianluca Vialli on the inside collar of their lush new Adidas shirts tonight, as well as the European Champions badge ;

https://twitter.com/azzurri_en/status/1638955058724503552?s=46&t=YPTuyXx_pzpV4Wjm6pdF-Q

Comment

Well there's a turnip.

Comment

Not so smug now, are you, twat?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-flag-29536045

Comment

Allegedly it's the guy behind the 'White Lives Matter' banner at Burnley, who is a supporter of Tommy Robinson.

There's something of a manhunt being conducted on Italian football Twitter to track him down in Naples.

Comment

Italy are as poor as expected, sadly. Dreadfully dozy defending for the goal.

Comment

Was about to say the same.

What a mess.

Comment

Oh, goodie. VAR...

Comment

This may be the worst Italian team of my lifetime

Comment

Have switched to Denmark v Finland, the Italy game is just miserable viewing.

Comment

Decent half from England. Pity we have to hear that anthem.

Comment

Luxembourg have forced Martin Dubravka into two good saves in the first-half in Trnava. Slovakia are awful. 0-0 at HT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                                Decent half from England. Pity we have to hear that anthem.
                                                Why don't they just learn the fields of athenry and sing that song over and over and over and....... over and over and over....... and over?

Comment

By the way, what the fuck was jack grealish doing with that chance?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X