Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teams (national or otherwise) to be despised: a cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teams (national or otherwise) to be despised: a cup?

ad hoc "I really fucking dislike both teams, yet I am still about to watch Manchester City versus Grassball-Sport Leipzig."

How many teams do you really loathe for reasons beyond robust rivalry and personal vendettas? I was thinking of having some kind of cup in which the most hated team is the "winner", based on votes cast. All nominations welcome, with reasons preferred. Past and present alike.

The MK Franchise will just win this easily won't they?

Comment

The European Super League mob, for obvious reasons. The English element of that still rankle me, all the protestation of wanting owners out dissipated when they won a trophy or signed a “prize asset”.

Salford - all a bit false, isn’t it? Lim gets an easy ride despite his ownership of Valencia and the way in which the United lot act despite Neville then contradicting his actions when spouting his usual nonsense on Sky makes me chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Botswana Meat Commission View Post
        Lim gets an easy ride despite his ownership of Valencia
        No easy ride here.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          The MK Franchise will just win this easily won't they?
          Cups are for upsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

No easy ride here.
            Though less so compared to say five years ago, they’re still very much the Class of 92’s baby and seen upon reasonably positively, while Lim does what he’s doing at Valencia, which doesn’t get much coverage here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              ad hoc "I really fucking dislike both teams, yet I am still about to watch Manchester City versus Grassball-Sport Leipzig."

How many teams do you really loathe for reasons beyond robust rivalry and personal vendettas? I was thinking of having some kind of cup in which the most hated team is the "winner", based on votes cast. All nominations welcome, with reasons preferred. Past and present alike.
              A minor point - ad hoc didn't say that, it was imp.

Comment

In terms of international teams, Ireland would hardly "despise" Denmark, but they have certainly been our bêtes noirs when it comes to accruing even draws against them. Aside from MK Dons, a number of the "new" Football League clubs leave me emotionally cold, but Fleetwood have a special place in my enmity for their plundering of the LoI and relationship with Waterford.

Comment

They're not the fucking Dons.

Comment

In roughly descending order (I've tried to keep it to teams where my dislike is systematic, rather than teams where a change in ownership or manager would radically change the position, like Newcastle)

Juventus
                    Real Madrid
                    Lazio
                    MK Franchise
                    Beitar Jerusalem
                    PSG
                    Zenit St Petersburg
                    Chelsea
                    Rangers
                    Celtic
                    Milan
                    Manchester Utd
                    Barcelona
                    Bayern

Comment

Rangers.

Comment

Verona; There's a lot of right wing arseholes involved in Italian football, but few revel in it like them.

Barcelona; More than a Club, pretentious wank from a big business, constantly propped up by local taxes.

Comment

MK, Juventus and PSG as mentioned.
                          Bursaspor are pretty high on the shitlist right now after the appalling assaults on the Kurdish team the other week.
                          Livingston and Airdrie United should be in there (franchisings).
                          Boreham Wood seem pretty grim.
                          Eastern European fashy teams - Ferencvaros, Steaua, Partizan and Red Star? Wasn't there a club who were affiliated with Arkan?

Comment

Arkan was a Red Star ultra, but later took over Obilic

Comment

Aren’t The New Saints universally disliked? (I’m sure one of the Welsh League fans will be able to fill in the blanks).

Comment

You did say this was timebound to an extent, because I loved 1980s/1990s Chelsea when they played in a used car lot and I find it hard to really dislike current Rashford United, especially after last week.

But the 2008 Champions League Final was the match no-one anywhere wanted either side to win.
                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 15-03-2023, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Botswana Meat Commission View Post
                                  Aren’t The New Saints universally disliked? (I’m sure one of the Welsh League fans will be able to fill in the blanks).
                                  Yes they aren't popular but they also aren't that well known. I'd probably put them on my list when I get round to making a list.

Part of the problem would be there are some teams who I really disliked at a given time or for a certain reason. Like Preston North End under John Beck in 1993-94. But generally I don't think Preston are a team to despise and I don't wish them any ill now.
                                  Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 15-03-2023, 14:37.

Comment

Back in the day when I cared, Rangers, Man Utd and Bayern were top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

A minor point - ad hoc didn't say that, it was imp.
                                      It's not that minor. I mean I agree with the sentiment (more or less - I didn't watch the game), but it feels a bit odd to have been assigned the words

Comment

I don't usually care for Bayern but I'm up for seeing them break Dynamo Berlin's all-German record for consecutive titles this year.

Occasionally I ponder whether I'm irony poisoned and nihilistic enough to start supporting all Red Bull teams, for a laugh, but it hasn't quite happened yet, not even with a fixture like last night

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Yes they aren't popular but they also aren't that well known. I'd probably put them on my list when I get round to making a list.

Part of the problem would be there are some teams who I really disliked at a given time or for a certain reason. Like Preston North End under John Beck in 1993-94. But generally I don't think Preston are a team to despise and I don't wish them any ill now.
                                          Well, yeah, they’re not widely known but those who know more about them than me (they played Liverpool and win everything, they’re sometimes on S4C is about my knowledge of them) are that they’re the most disliked club in Wales (though, they’re not Welsh, I think).

Comment

Rangers, definitely.

Real Madrid are probably the most entitled club on the planet (with Barcelona not that far behind). The Franchise tried to destroy a club in order to exist, Real would destroy your club just because it feels like it on that particular day. And that's before we get to a team featuring Pepe, Ramos, Ronaldo and Mourinho.

Comment

Both the Old Firm, really. I’ve never lived in Scotland and I’ve never spent more than about 12 hours in Glasgow at one time but they’re both so insufferable and annoying.

Comment

I’d like to discuss at length why I really hate Sheffield United……but I’ve absolutely no idea why I do.

Whenever they come up against anyone I hope they get massacred.

Comment

West Ham with their odious owners and whole London Stadium fiasco. In the bin.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X