No announcement yet.

Attendance figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lad on the Lost Ground Page over on Facebook who posts results from that day. What's noticeable whenever he puts up the scores from the early to mid 80s, apart from the boring and tedious comments about the lack of crowds at Leeds, Chelsea and Wolves, is how rare attendances drop under the 1000 mark.

I seem to recall that the deal for the Bristol City game was a crowd of 24,888. It's worth noting that the declared attendance that sfd mentions was also capacity of Home Park at the time.

Comment

When I worked at GM Place in Vancouver one of my occasional jobs was to work out the attendance figures. This was done by weighing the torn off ticket stubs and converting the weight into the attendance. The Grizzlies attendances were always too low (unless the Bulls or Sonics were in town) for the powers that be so there was pressure to bump them up a bit.
      At one game I called in the actual ticket number of something like 11,000. I was told that the crowd looked to be bigger than that (it didn't at all) and I must have missed some tickets. I called back about fifteen minutes later and gave him a made up amount off the top of my head of a few thousand more...

That was the official attendance that went in the newspapers the next day.

Comment

What Donald Trump would have done for a few more like you...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          I've been present at a couple of games this year when someone has literally gone round counting.

Can't really do that at a Premier League stadium tbf
          I've done it at an English tier 2 match. If it wasn't for the Indonesian or Phillopean hackers, I'd show you the evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            FWIW, Fotmob (my new favourite score app) puts attendance figures (where available) on the main page for each match (aka the Facts tab)
            Why do you especially like Fotmob, UA?

Comment

To offer something of a defence of clubs with all-seater stadium reporting tickets sold rather than actual numbers in the ground, if the ticket is for a seat, it is sold and hasn’t been returned, the club can’t actually re-sell it. Indeed they won’t know until well into the match that the ticket holder has thought better of it and isn’t just running late. Tickets sold therefore accurately reflects how many, or how few, extra places were potentially available to buy.

Its also easier for the home club to track as the number of tickets sold is already known.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Why do you especially like Fotmob, UA?
                It covers a lot of leagues (including women's leagues).which is important to me because I have eclectic tastes

It allows one a great deal of control over the order in which leagues are presented, which is (for me) a major failing of the otherwise excellent kicker Matchkalendar)

It presents match information in a way that makes sense to me (including, for instance, adding links to highlights when available and the attendance data noted above)

Comment

I was a season ticket holder throughout those mid 80s and it still seems incredible how low crowds became then and what a basket case the English game was. Only 10 clubs of the 92 that averaged over 20,000 and then a big drop to Forest in 11th, who's average would now be lower than several L1 and L2 sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                    To offer something of a defence of clubs with all-seater stadium reporting tickets sold rather than actual numbers in the ground, if the ticket is for a seat, it is sold and hasn’t been returned, the club can’t actually re-sell it. Indeed they won’t know until well into the match that the ticket holder has thought better of it and isn’t just running late. Tickets sold therefore accurately reflects how many, or how few, extra places were potentially available to buy.

Its also easier for the home club to track as the number of tickets sold is already known.
                    I agree with this, but given the use of barcoding rather than cash entry in many (most?) grounds, they must have a virtually real time idea of how many people are in the stadium at any one time. Especially for safety reasons, let alone accruing the data in to analyse in terms of people flows to maximise bar/food income and minimise crowded concourses.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                      The most egregious fiddled-down crowds I can remember being in include the famous Burnley-Orient game in 87 (Turf Moor's capacity at the time was over 20,000 but the attendance was given as 15,781 - there was loads more than that in.
                      Aye, the Board couldn't bloody resist, even on that day. Or alternatively we can take them at their word, in which case, shame on Orient for not selling out their allocation of (calculates) 6,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post

Also to do with VAT commitments being tracked.

Apparently.

Comment

That does make sense - if the commodity is sold, the vendor owes the VAT on it even if the purchaser subsequently decides not to make use of their purchase. And if the figure sent to media outlets differs from what the taxman is being told one might understand the taxman being suspicious. Or the auditors, if the taxman has apparently been paid too much (who has pocketed that money, then?).

Comment

Guess that's a lot easier to monitor now, with computerised ticketing, electronic turnstiles etc.

Well, at EPL and Championship level, at least.

Comment

Working...
                            X