Another Home Again Or - Matchgoing 9th-15th December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Home Again Or - Matchgoing 9th-15th December

Going back to Rotherham for the first time since I lost my connections with the town. We're at home to Bristol City. If the pitch doesn't freeze...

Not sure I'll get a game in before the New Year now, so I shall live vicariously through all your match reports!

Comment

Shrewsbury v Bolton, pitch, as GO notes, permitting.

Plus, the next instalment of mum's tech soap opera. This week: talking to the man from Onestream who's calling with a counter-offer since mum cancelled her broadband contract to go with Sky.

Comment

Barry are playing up at Taff's Well on Sunday, if the weather gods show restraint. The pitch has a fiendish slope and could well freeze. As a friend said, it's bloody cold there in Summer.

The rest of the weekend will be spent Christmasifying la maison.

Comment

If Marine's artificial surface is playable, I'll be watching them play Guiseley. Can't see many grass pitch lower division or non league games being on around here, our lawn was bone hard this morning and hasn't thawed at all through the day.

Comment

Should be Winsford away with a Crewe Alex-supporting mate who was more than willing to ditch their home game with Leyton Orient. Fully expecting a postponement though, ideally before I shell out for a train ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
              Shrewsbury v Bolton, pitch, as GO notes, permitting.

Plus, the next instalment of mum's tech soap opera. This week: talking to the man from Onestream who's calling with a counter-offer since mum cancelled her broadband contract to go with Sky.
              I'll be there too if it's on. My first visit to the 'new' ground and my first to this fixture since the late 80s. Lots of conflicting info on how long the walk is from the town centre to the ground but it sounds like quite a schlep.

Comment

You've plenty of folk on here who'll guide you on who to get there.

Comment

It's at least a six hour walk and there are no roads or any other transportation options.

Comment

Needed to find an early Saturday kick-off (to allow me to see the 3pm WC quarter-final that afternoon) and Walton & Hersham have obliged for their home Isthmian South Central fixture against Guernsey.

To be honest, I think the timing is more to accommodate the visitors' travel plans than avoid any clash but it suits me especially as I am yet to see The Swans this season and there's a chance my mate's son will be in the squad.

I doubt I'll get to a midweek game as the semi-finals are on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      It's at least a six hour walk and there are no roads or any other transportation options.
                      Dangerous as well - Shrewsbury is apparently big cat infested. Though the club don’t seem sure whether it is lions or leopards that plague them.
                      Last edited by Janik; 09-12-2022, 07:35.

Comment

First choice would be Winterton Rangers v Maltby Main but that relies on both the pitch not being frozen and Transpennine Express bothering to run a train service. Might take myself to West Yorkshire where there are options on artificial pitches, even if that means having to go to rubbishy Ilkley Town again. In reality I suspect I might end up having a day out ticking a few pubs and not seeing any football, live or otherwise. Good job I binned off the idea of going to see Wednesday at Exeter.

Comment

The weather is without doubt going to affect my plans too. I'm hoping that the inevitable postponement of West Didsbury and Chorlton Zebras' early ko at Mersey Valley tomorrow happens today rather than first thing in the morning as the disappointment on the boy's face would be worse than if he gets up on Christmas morning to find that Santa has forgotten to drop by.

My options tomorrow are limited also by needing to be home before 5. Egerton of the Cheshire League Premier Division play on a 3 or 4G so their game against Daten is the likeliest candidate.

Comment

Reading vs Coventry 2PM, giving us time for the England match in the evening.

I cannot wait.

Comment

Why am I excited about such a mundane fixture as Hucknall Town v Blackstones in the UCL Division 1? Well, it's the first match in Hucknall's brand new ground just across the road from the old rather dilapidated one. And it will give me my first ever Futbology 'opening match' badge. Hope it's not a victim of the weather.

Notts County have just edged ahead of Wrexham at the top of the National League and they play Gateshead on Tuesday. It's a rather trivial landmark for me in that Gateshead are the only National League side I've never seen play live.

Comment

Boro v Luton should be OK in respect of the weather. TPE is involved but they have generally been not too bad on the York-Middlesbrough route so here's hoping that continues. I'll probably be seeing people I've not seen since the last home game over a month ago which will mean telling them I've not been watching the World Cup. I'll also need to find a pub without a telly on the journey back. I have a couple in mind but you never know.

Comment

Seems an age since I saw City at home, but going to the Bank to see former club legend Gareth Ainsworth's Wycombe shithouse their way to inevitable victory. Can't think if i've seen Ainsworth manage at Sincil Bank. This might be the first home game i've seen him since he played. Last time we beat Wycombe was in March 2009, so i'm not optimistic. We have a terrible record against them and they had a very good result last week against Pompey.

Comment

Carlisle P-P Barrow. Several consecutive overnight lows of -5/-6 were too much for our pitch covers to hold off.

Slight relief actually as the plan was to stay out afterwards for the England match and with it being an early kick off that was going to be a long and potentially damaging stretch in the pub.

At least they had the good sense to inspect today and call it off, rather than have 1,000+ Barrow fans milling around in town tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                      If Marine's artificial surface is playable, I'll be watching them play Guiseley. Can't see many grass pitch lower division or non league games being on around here, our lawn was bone hard this morning and hasn't thawed at all through the day.
                                      As it turns out, the pitch never got tested as it's been called off because of illness in the Guiseley camp. Sick bastards.

Comment

I'll brave the lions/leopards and the icy conditions for the 20 mile hike to see Salop v Bolton.

I wonder if Salop can fill the bench.

Will there be enough Sherpas for piggy-backs, as a few are carrying out industrial action on the account of the amount of fat bastards that follow Town.

It's all going on in the Shire.

Comment

Winsford have said there'll be an inspection at 10am tomorrow. Got to admire their chutzpah.

Comment

This is apparently the situation at Shrewsbury this afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

I'll be there too if it's on. My first visit to the 'new' ground and my first to this fixture since the late 80s. Lots of conflicting info on how long the walk is from the town centre to the ground but it sounds like quite a schlep.
                                              I hardly feel able to add to the comprehensive, detailed advice offered by PT, Janik and Nick, but yes, it is a 40-45 min walk I’d say, even without encountering aggressive fauna.

You can catch the Park and Ride bus from the centre then follow the trail of fans down the hill and around the back of Sainsbury’s.

Alternatively, there's a bus to a place called Bayston Hill that stops on the A5112 just outside the retail park. Again, follow the fans. https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/find-a-s...o-bayston-hill

This may help - https://www.shrewsburytown.com/siteassets/documents/2223/travelplan2022.23.pdf You can park at the P&R too.

If you're in town beforehand and there's group of you, you might find it easier to book a taxi.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                                Winsford have said there'll be an inspection at 10am tomorrow. Got to admire their chutzpah.
                                                Sensibly, it’s been called off today.

Comment

It's not as cold as expected.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X