No announcement yet.

Oi! There is other football...match thread 25th November-1st December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30/42 for the season at Hamilton Accies 4-0 East Kilbride: Scottish Cup, 26/11/22

A bright start from EK, three divisions below the hosts, but they didn't take any of their early chances and were unfortunate to be behind at the break. Accies then steamrolled them in the second half. Fitness and general technique won out in the end and Andy Ryan got the second hattrick of my 42 season (Dale Carrick of Stirling Albion got the first against Peterhead). Ryan's third goal was a lovely chip from the edge of the box.

Accies is quite a grim place to watch a game really. The place seems very apathetic, the stadium is not an atmospheric one, and the Young Team's drum is too loud. 'Up there' with Livingston as the worst I've been to so far in Scotland.
    Attached Files

Comment

Clyde 1-3 Dumbarton: Scottish Cup, 26/11/22

Since I was already in Hamilton, I decided to stick around and see Clyde v Dumbarton in New Douglas Park's second game of the day.

Clyde are ground-sharing with the Accies at the moment, so with both teams being drawn at home, their game was moved to an evening kick-off.

This is a really worrying result for the Bully Wee, who had shown signs of life under new coach (returning old coach) Jim Duffy in the last couple of games. In this one, they took an absolute pasting from Dumbarton, chasing promotion from the league below Clyde. Does not augur well for Clyde's likely end-of-season promotion/relegation play-offs with League Two sides.

Attached Files

Comment

Did you have to buy two separate tickets? Did you have to leave the ground after the Hamilton game and re-enter for the Clyde game?

Comment

Yeah. It’s a dreadful place to watch football. I only visit it if it’s a team I’ve not seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
            Did you have to buy two separate tickets? Did you have to leave the ground after the Hamilton game and re-enter for the Clyde game?
            Yeah, two separate tickets and got booted out. A big gap between, to be fair. Accies game was 2.30 and Clyde 7.45. Nipped up to the Accies Vaults pub nearby in between.

Comment

Ebbsfleet United 0 Fleetwood 1
              FA Cup 2nd Round
              Att: 2960

A narrow win for Fleetwood and a decent crowd for a 12.30 kick off in a televised match.

Fleetwood hit the post early on but Ebbsfleet created the better clearer chances, the best of which Dominic Poleon put into the side netting from a narrow angle after rounding the keeper. A nicely taken goal by Ged Garner proved to be the winner but only thanks to a fantastic last minute clearance which prevented what would have been a deserved equaliser.

I like the old school aspects of three sides of Stonebridge Road (now renamed the 'Kuflink Stadium'). The photo shows two of them rather than the horrible newly-built main stand that you'll have seen if you watched the match on TV.

Comment

Chátearaux v Le Mans

There is a full on New Orleans jazz brass band playing all the way through the game. They are fantastic, the football is shit.

Comment

Not what I would immediately associate with Saudi royal family ownership

Comment

It's not the actual royal family though, it's the Prince bloke who owned Sheffield United. All he's done at Chatearaux is get them relegated to division 3.

Comment

altenmittlau1.jpg
                      View from the referee's changing room at SV Altenmittlau, post-game. I was not offered a wurst and a Glühwein, having turned down the home team's late penalty appeal. A small price to pay in order to preserve the integrity of the Kreisoberliga Gelnhausen.
                      Attached Files

Comment

AFC were 2-1 down at Longridge going into stoppage time tonight. They win 3-2. Absolutely incredible. I scared the cat half to death when the commentary described the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                          . I scared the cat half to death
                          Just 8 and a half lives left then?

Comment

Folkestone Invicta 4 Bowers & Pitsea 1
                            Isthmian League Premier
                            Att: 430

The respective league positions of these two did not suggest a classic and my expectations turned out to be correct. The first 30 minutes were probably the worst I've seen at any level this season. Then at last, a talking point. The referee awarded the home team a dubious penalty, one that even the VAR official from the Argentina v Poland game would have struggled to give. It was duly despatched by Ade Yusuff only for B&P to equalise shortly afterwards.

I missed the start of the second half as I was in the bar watching Poland hang on but as I emerged, the B&P keeper made a hash of a clearance for Scott Heard to score. Things didn't improve for the keeper as he got nowhere near an inswinging corner for Folkestone's third and then spilled a shot for another tap in.

Bowers & Pitsea stay just outside the relegation zone and Folkestone have risen up the table after three wins in the last four but I wouldn't think the prospects of either team are particularly bright for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                              altenmittlau1.jpg
                              View from the referee's changing room at SV Altenmittlau, post-game. I was not offered a wurst and a Glühwein, having turned down the home team's late penalty appeal. A small price to pay in order to preserve the integrity of the Kreisoberliga Gelnhausen.
                              Did they ever let you out of the cage?
                              Free the Altenmittlau one!

Comment

They didn't lock me in, fortunately. I've developed a cat burglar's capacity for sneaking through the middle of a crowd of players and officials in the most inconspicuous fashion, head down like a casual passer-through who has no business here, and who definitely did not just referee a 90-minute football game a few yards away...

Comment

That shows that they are shouting at the office, not the man.

Comment

Sunday
                                    FC Győr 0-3 Diósgyőri VTK
                                    (Hungarian second tier)

For most people, being in the Czech Republic when the country’s entire football calendar is on its winter break would be a significant barrier to watching a match. Not the mate I was there visiting, who duly sorted an impromptu trip to Hungary.

But whilst we made a three hour train trip to Győr, most of the local population couldn’t be arsed to amble to the city’s edge. ETO Park is an odd ground; two impressively hulking all-seater sideline stands and not much else. Behind one goal the away end – a fenced off low terrace in front of a hotel, which looked empty, but was probably a buzz with people phoning reception to complain about the noise of a couple of hundred burly Hungarian ultras beneath their window. At the other end, what looked like a tile depot. And all of the above was largely empty.

Visitors DVTK (in a red kit that carried at least seven sponsors, including ‘HELL’ on the front) are top of the Hungarian second tier and showed why, controlling the game throughout. Their first was walked round the keeper off the back of a brilliant slide-rule pass from midfield; the second squeezed under the keeper from close range. The third came after the break from a cut-back. The home side’s best player was a diminutive midfielder wearing 68 who pulled the strings; unfortunately for him all that was on the end of those strings was his own inept team-mates. He gave up trying to pass to them late on and hit a couple of fine shots from distance, one of which had to be brilliantly clawed out the top corner.

At full-time the home ultras came down from the upper level to the lower tier to make their feelings heard; I don’t speak any Hungarian, but I’d be willing to guess they weren’t saying ‘Unlucky lads, we go again’.

Only other thing to note was that walking to the ground we saw a number of home fans carrying cushions – normal enough for these parts – but then one bloke stood waiting outside the ground with a single dining chair, hinting at a glorious miscommunication about him needing to bring something to sit on in the cold. Sadly we couldn’t hang about for the potential punchline.

Comment

Working...
                                    X