Alex Fletcher of Bath City, serious head injury at Twerton Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Fletcher of Bath City, serious head injury at Twerton Park

Boring thread title but a worrying story on Bath City's Alex Fletcher. He suffered a serious head injury as a result of crashing into an advertising hoarding at Twerton Park last night in Bath's game v Dulwich. He is in stable but critical condition.

I got a couple of messages from mates at the game that started out as the game was being delayed whilst they were waiting for an ambulance following his injury and they got progressively worse with respect to the severity. I think the ambulance took an hour or so to arrive but I can't say with certainty but regardless, its symoblic of where the NHS is under the Tories.

Politics pushed to one side, I love Twerton and make an annual trip there. Its traditional charm is wonderful but clearly a problem. The injury was so severe as the hoardings fixed on solid wall / breeze block constuction and are close to the pitch. Alex effectviely went full pelt into a wall. I do wonder now if it will be closed given no one would want a repeat of last night to happen and you clearly can't guarantee that, Bath council messed them around a couple of years ago by not giving them a licence to play at it and I am struggling to see them not revoking or pausing it, until they can install safer hoardings. Which would cost a lot of money and take significant time.

All pales into comparisson with Alex's health and you hope he will recover. He's done well at Bath and was once a proper exicting Argyle prospect till Luke Jepcott (now at Swindon) came along.

Bath City and his family press release: https://www.bathcityfc.com/update-on-alex-fletcher/
    Last edited by super furry dice; 09-11-2022, 20:14.

I saw this earlier. Dreadful, the poor sod. As you say, just hope he recovers well.

Comment

Facebook post from West Ham.

Comment

I saw this last night as well and it reminded me of our player Will Ferry being pushed into the wall (and it is a wall) behind our goal by a Bolton player a few weeks back. That's not to lay any blame on the Bolton player as such, it seems to be something players are doing more regularly when battling for the ball on the edge of the pitch. Ferry hasn't played since due to a bad back injury, which the club has said was unrelated to that incident, but I do think it's something that needs to be cracked down on - pushing a player as they're heading out of play should be at least a booking. As someone said on the Cheltenham forum, it's amazing there haven't been more of these incidents.

As others have said though, I really hope Alex Fletcher pulls through and is ok going forward.

Comment

Yes, hope he's going to be OK.

Comment

Yes
            hopefully he'll recover

Comment

I appreciate the post and starting the thread, super furry, but there are a couple of assumptions that you’ve made that I want to clear up given the seriousness of the situation.

The required run off behind the goal is 1.83m. Ours is 4.7m. Local safety officials attended this week and declared no issues. Yes, it seems weird to have concrete behind the hoardings but they are like that crowd safety. Nothing could foresee a freak accident like this.

I am not going to say anything about Alex’s situation not least as I know nothing more than what’s official (see update below) and also to respect the family’s privacy. There has been a lot of speculation(including me on the night) and they aren’t helpful.

the ambulance took two hours to get there and, like you, I was fuming at the situation but I have since heard that it may have been because they needed an ambulance with special head injury equipment. Again, that isn’t gospel

Comment

Attached Files
                Last edited by Bored Of Education; 13-11-2022, 21:56.

Comment

Thanks Bordeaux Education.

Comment

Still in hospital and showing small signs of improvement, this is a lot worse than I thought.

Comment

Yes, the implications aren’t good. Selfishly, I am glad that I was at the other end of the game and missed the incident. We all thought he’d slid into the hoarding feetfirst and, as time went on, thought he’d broken his leg - which would’ve been bad enough obviously. We got an inkling it was a head injury just before the postponement

Comment

Some good news.

Comment

Thanks for posting, Mark. Just to update a bit more. From the manager's interview after he visited him, it appears that not only is he conscious and talking but he has been doing a bit of walking as well. Great news.

Comment

Oh that's even better.

Glad to hear how he's progressing.

Comment

Wonderful news. A few years back a player in the Argentine regional divisions died after a similar incident, so it's nice to read of a (so far) more encouraging outcome.

Comment

Alex now out of hospital which is encouraging

Comment

It is. Its promising news.

Comment

Alex is going to appear on the pitch on Boxing Day and then watch the match. It’ll be emotional, I expect

Comment

That’s great. Glad he’s doing so well.

Comment

As everyone on here has been kind enough to show an interest, I just thought I would show this video of Alex on the pitch before kick off yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPT7pECDRU . As you will see, he has a long way to go but what improvement he has made is great after a month and a half

Comment

Good to see him there, here’s hoping his rehabilitation can continue at this rate.

Comment

He's been cleared to play again, and given a new contract by Bath.

Comment

Brilliant news. In case its of interest, Alex did an interview on an Argyle podcast a few weeks ago. Link: https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/argyle-p...-alex-fletcher

Comment

Thanks for updating in my absence. In what is quite astonishing developments, Alex has come on as substitute in the last two games. I assumed that, if anything, he would be back after Christmas at the earliest. Just watched the highlights from Saturday and, of course, he's off the pace but he looks fit enough.

Comment

Fantastic news.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X