Support by association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support by association

Which teams do you have a little bit of time for because friends support them?

Most of my friends are Spurs fans, or maybe I just like to think that.

However, I kind of cheer for Bolton as my best mate supports them, and Man Utd as a few close friends follow them (and they're not Arsenal or Chelsea). I have a Ipswich supporting friend, which means my attitude to the tractor boys on here goading anti-Spurs Phoebe Disco feels a bit odd.

I know a few West Ham fans but tend to enjoy seeing them lose.

I have a few gooner friends, and one part of my family is avid gooner, but sorry folks, I want them to explode.

Support by association

I guess this is AFC Wimbledon for me. Mainly, though, I hate everyone. I thrive on hate. It's the hate that keeps me warm.

Comment

Support by association

Arsenal, a little bit.

Comment

Support by association

Bloody hell JtS, its bad enough supporting Spurs to have to worry about anyone else.

Comment

Support by association

My best mate is an Exeter fan, and I've got friends/acquaintances who support pretty much every professional, and some non-pro, side in the country (I mean, each friend only supports one team, not one friend who supports everyone - that would be just silly). However, like EIM, I can't find it in my heart to feel anything but loathing for these teams. How dare they not be Oxford United?

Nope, football teams (other than one's own) are for hating. That's their raison d'etre (that, and to play football matches, I suppose).

Comment

Support by association

Sadly enough, I've found my deep disgust at Manchester United softening in recent years.

At school it was different; being at school in Salford when we were busy fucking up and not winning anything, and Man United were busy not fucking up and winning things made for a traumatic adolescence.

Since then I've realised I'm not particularly partisan about football at all. So, I sometimes end up watching them down the pub with friends; and whilst other teams have caught up in terms of the distasteful aspects of modern football, I'd rather watch Man United (as a sort of neutral, but actually a negative still.) I mean, they can still fuck off, like.

And since their victory in the Johnstone's Paint Windshield Crossword Competition, I must admit I've developed a soft spot for MK Dons...

Comment

Support by association

I've got too many friends who support too many teams to be able to really dislike any team. Most of my friends round here now are Preston or Blackburn fans, so I'm always on the lookout for their results, and I even know some Manchester United fans who I wouldn't feed feet-first into a tree-chipper, like my Dad, and my mate Sean. And Alzheimer's Eddie, a lovely old bloke who drinks in my local and can witter on all afternoon about Kendall, Harvey and Ball, redeems in my eyes all the other Everton fans and their witty "we welcome all Reds to Liverpool, we hope you enjoy your visit" banners.

Comment

Support by association

I keep an eye out for Wolves (used to live across the road from Molineux) and St. Etienne (ex-girlfriend's brother was a fan and took me along)

Comment

Support by association

Being Irish I now look out for Sunderland, apparently.
                  Although it is nice to see Murphy do well.

Comment

Support by association

I find that friends supporting other clubs motivaes me to hate these clubs even more.

Exception being Spurs, whom I rather like despite several friends supporting them.

Comment

Support by association

AFCW - two friends were huge Wimbledon fans going way back.

Hull & Port Vale - friends' teams.

Altrincham & Margate - I used to live in / near both.

Derby - my parents live there. My mother absolutely loves listening to the commentary on BBC Radio Derby.

Comment

Support by association

My mate is an avid supporter and even board member of Llangefni Town. Even though the club have ideas above their station of hatred towards Bangor City, i've found myself cheering them on somewhat, and was even shown on television 2 weeks ago cheering when they scored. Kowlalski will be disgusted no doubt.

Apart from that, and the odd occasional visit to watch Man City when my other mate has a spare seat, my friends are all Man Utd or Liverpool fans, so can go to hell.

Comment

Support by association

Well I live in the same house as a Forest fan and so have been to see them quite a lot and developed a proper affection for them.

I also usually want Liverpool to win because one of my best friends is a fan.

AFCW for the same reasons as everyone else.

I think that's it really. Like EIM, I feel it's often more fun to hate.

Comment

Support by association

It's nothing to do with fun, Lyra. It's our duty, as football supporters, to hate all other clubs. It's what the game's all about. It's why other games will fail to overtake football as the country's number one spectator sport. It's all about the hatred.

Clubs featuring former players - I hate them. Clubs who play in red - they're loathsome. Clubs who neither feature former players nor who play in red - they're utter cunts. I'm sure you'll agree that there's an undeniable logic to all this.

Comment

Support by association

This was the deciding factor in not being able to take more than a passing interest in Lewes, Eastbourne Borough or Worthing when we moved down here - no matter what I do, I can't bring myself to have anything to do with clubs that red shirts.

Comment

Support by association

most of my friends are liverpool fans. I always keep an eye out for their results, particularly when I'm feeling down.

Comment

Support by association

twohundredpercent wrote:
                                  This was the deciding factor in not being able to take more than a passing interest in Lewes, Eastbourne Borough or Worthing when we moved down here - no matter what I do, I can't bring myself to have anything to do with clubs that red shirts.
                                  *cough*

Comment

Support by association

Bury and Rochdale.

Comment

Support by association

boris, see I think you're wasting some of your hate. I try to put 99% of mine toward Arsenal (1% reserved for Barnet).

Comment

Support by association

Clubs featuring former players - I hate them. Clubs who play in red - they're loathsome.
                                        Players who leave Saints ALWAYS seem to go somewhere else that also has red and white stripes. The cunts.

Comment

Support by association

EIM: If FCUM ever come down south, I will probably go and see them. Fingers crossed their in their change kit.

Comment

Support by association

Fisher Athletic from my days of watching them, even though I've not seen them for a couple of years now.

Frickley for being the northern equivalent these days.

I've slowly developed a mellowing of the hatred of Barnsley, mainly due to a lot of my mates being Barnsley fans. And I keep an occasional eye out for Watford.

Although presumably come the end of the season I'll be free to love/hate whoever I like without the fear of losing attachment to my own team.

Comment

Support by association

Millwall because of friends from university.

Cov because it's my local team, although I've only been to a couple of games since they moved to the Generic-out-of-town-retail-park Arena.

Comment

Support by association

I find it much harder to hate teams now than I used to. I don't even really hate Man United properly any more. I have mates who are Spurs fans and I actually want them to win sometimes. Of course Chelsea are still way beyond the pale.

Down our way, well, there's Fisher of course, but that's not a proper hate thing. And...who? Bromley? I hate the ground, but not the club. East Thurrock? The only place I've been since we got shafted where I've heard actual racist singing. But that was just a few Hammers who were pissed up and didn't have anything better to do.

Though of course the thread is supposed to be about liking, not hating. Oooh there's loads I look out for. All the proper clubs, of course - FCUM, Telford, Exeter, Stockport, Enfield Town, you know. And Pompey, for family reasons. And Newcastle, ditto. And...well, it just gets embarrassing.

Comment

Support by association

I've always looked out for Leyton Orient results. And Huddersfield Town and Leeds United when the relevant grandparents were still alive. Now, thanks to otf, it's teams like Kettle's Colney Heath and Spearmint Rhino's Barry Town...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X