No announcement yet.

WvW - Matchgoing 7th - 13th October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brentford at SJP. Recent home games have been frustrating as teams have sat deep and we have lacked the nous to take advantage of the large amounts of possession. In part due to the absence of the more creative players but should have more or less a full squad complement tomorrow. Hopefully will make a difference-the number of home draws is matched by the number of visitors away draws. And it was a 3-3 last time fixture played.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Nice? Hmmm.

We went there once, it had pissed down, the whole place was a bog, Joe Sheerin was sent off, we lost, and there was a massive fight in the bar at half time which saw a police helicopter being called in.

Fun day out.
      Actually, now you say that I have heard the stories of that game before.

I'll not wear a Dons hat, just to be careful.

Comment

It's the boy's birthday party tomorrow so if I get to a game this weekend it'll be on Sunday. Depending on the weather this will entail either swerving to avoid RobW as I cross the route of the Manchester half marathon on my bike for Swinton Ladies v Hindley Juniors or charting a convoluted route out of town by car to avoid the road closures for Northwich Vixens v Fleetwood Town Wrens.

Tuesday I'll probably stay local and watch West v Isle of Man.

Comment

D&R v Southend tomorrow. Daggers' form is erratic but winning at Chesterfield the other day has given the highly unpopular manager a bit of breathing space, Southend are on their annual HMRC/non-payment of wages shenanigans, and BT have moved the game to a 12:30 kick-off. So a large proportion of the crowd is going to be disgruntled before the match even starts.

Staying local on Tuesday for Potters Bar Town v Canvey Island. I haven't seen Canvey since their cup run/Conference heyday and I recall that team being particularly obnoxious (a fractious Essex Senior Cup final that was held in pre-season springs to mind), so if I'm ever going to get more than politely interested in PBT, this might be the match to do it.

Comment

Coventry Vs Burnley tomorrow. Our third home game of the season!

Comment

I find myself in the beautiful and friendly city of Lisbon for the first time, but after getting into trouble with 'er indoors for a negative sartorial comment at Heathrow and then later for speaking a spot of Spanish instead of English to a taxi driver on our way into town (I have almost entirely forgotten my one year of university Portuguese from 27 years ago), I did not get the green light for a sneaky 6pm Benfica v Rio Ave game tomorrow.

It was always an outside chance, and playing the birthday weekend card did not work on this occasion...

Comment

United States v England at Wembley. I got home half an hour ago. I think that’s me done for weeknights at Wembley. What a fucking stupid place for a stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                  The train strike and engineering work on the District Line is playing havoc with my travel plans for tomorrow's game at Stamford Bridge.

Three long-ish bus trips would get me somewhere near the ground, if I can get on them, which is one option. Two buses and then the Northern Line to the new Battersea Power Station tube and a walk at the end is another option that I'd quite fancy. Best of the lot is if Southern are still running a service and I can get to Victoria.

There's always Uber for at least part of the journey, if surge pricing hasn't kicked in.

At least the weather's supposed to be decent, so any waiting around or walking won't be too much of a drag.

On a train to Victoria, so we're golden.

Comment

First time I've seen Windsor's kit. Bloody hell...

Comment

A couple of red kytes have shut up the parakeets. And Wembley's keeper makes a good save. These things are probably not related...

Comment

Absolute screamer puts Windsor ahead.

Comment

And at halftime, I'm halfway to the fourth consecutive Saturday home defeat at Vale Farm...

Comment

For the second half I shall be mostly sitting in glorious sunshine...

Comment

Wembley equalise with a bit of a scrappy goal after a free-kick.

Comment

After a fabulous run down the left by Wembley's #6, which comes to nowt, a cross from the right drops into the Windsor net to give Wembley the lead. And, as I'm typing, Wembley score again from a well worked breakaway...

Comment

Windsor pulled one back about five minutes ago, but my phone had a wobble...

Comment

It's all Windsor now...

Comment

Wembley hold on to win 3-2...

Comment

Meanwhile, we lose as usual at Ewood Park, Wealdstone lose at home to the violent fuckwits of Borehamwood, and Arbroath get a draw at home to Dundee...

Comment

Well that was annoying.

Comment

Apparently the crowd was life, the universe and everything...

Comment

Shrewsbury Town 2-1 MK Franchise
                                              EFL League One

The forces of righteousness* prevailed. Just about. Shepherding four 9 year olds hyped up on Pepsi Max and sweets added to the fun. Shrewsbury led 2-0 at the break, let in a soft hoal from a corner then went a man up after an opposing player got himself sent off for a ridiculous challenge. But at the death it was Shrewsbury hanging on to defend a succession of corners in added time.

*by default

Comment

We rode an early VAR decision to win convincingly. Hasnt changed my mind on how pointless VAR is.

Comment

Southport & Ainsdale Amateurs 4-3 Shevington (Mid Lancs League Premier Division)

Highly entertaining game with a fair degree of needle. S&A (in stripes) fell behind when a low shot bobbled over the keeper when he'd committed to the dive. They equalised with a close range shot from a right wing cross and went ahead when the Shevy goalie spilled a shot that was crashed home. Soon after that it was 3-1 with a shot from outside the box that found the bottom corner.

The ref must've been well into his 60s and had no help at all, the linesmen being one from each club. During one injury break there was an extended bout of narkiness from both sides with much use of the phrase Bell End and the home kit man having a bit of push and shove with what I think was a Shevy supporter.

After the break Ammy's were trying to manage the game to a conclusion, and were doing well until a wind-assisted effort looped over the keeper to make it 3-2. The ref then decided a lunging foul by the Shevington 7 was a red card offence, but that seemed to fire them up even more and they equalised late on through the 10, a top quality shithouser who reminded me somehow of Robson Green. Both sides seemed unclear on how long was left to play, but by my watch we were well over time when a cross was bundled home scruffily by a chunky S&A sub to win it. The Shevington coach and I think another member of their touchline staff received a red card at this point for presumably sharing their view that the ref had intended to play until the home team scored. It did feel a bit like that to be honest.

One bonus of grounds like this which are only partially enclosed (one side is effectively part of the cricket pitch) is that you can cut across the pitch by the corner flag while the game is in progress, provided play is up the other end. Obviously I did this, because even at this level there's still something uplifting and transgressive about being on the pitch while a game is in progress.

Comment

Staplehurst Monarchs 1-0 Rochester United (Southern Counties East League Division One)
                                                    Bearsted 2-1 Fisher (Southern Counties East League Premier Division)
                                                    Larkfield & New Hythe 2-1 Greenways (Southern Counties East League Division One)

Speaking to those who had been at the Friday evening game, it didn't sound like I had missed much in not going to the first game of the SCEFL groundhop. Having watched this game, I can say that missing the second game would have been much of a loss either. Staplehurst played a fairly defensive game, with lots of passing back to the keeper, whilst Rochester seemed to have run out of ideas about breaking them down within the first fifteen minutes or so. The only goal came from a substitute who clearly had to listened to the game plan, and made a great run through the visitors defence before shooting into the bottom corner. Staplehurst have only come up to this level in the last couple of years and the ground reflects this, feeling like a fenced part of what had previously been a larger playing field.

Second game of the day at Bearsted was much better, with bottom of the table Fisher playing much better than their position at the bottom of the table would suggest. The home side were the better team, but the visitors were let down by poor finishing. Bearsted's ground is quite difficult to find, down some back roads near Maidstone and then down an incredibly bumpy driveway. On a sunny day it's a pleasant place to watch football, with lots of autumnal trees around. The facilities feel fairly substantial, although all the buildings are portakabins. The cafe has a wide selection, including a huge variety of sweets.

Last game of the day was another fairly new entry to the league and has similar facilities to Staplehurst. However the ground feels a bit more enclosed, probably due to the fairly close housing around the pitch. Beyond the housing, there are views to the nearby hills, and with the evening kickoff a nice reddening sky. Larkfield were very good in the first half and should probably have had more than two goals by half time. Greenways improved in the second half, pulling one back soon after the break and threatening an equaliser on several occasions, notably a shot that forced the Larkfield keeper to stretch to tip over the bar. The home side also had chances to get further ahead but couldn't quite do it. The second half got a bit niggly, with both sides making silly fouls and over reacting to those of the opposition.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X