Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WvW - Matchgoing 7th - 13th October

Wembley v Windsor for me.

I'm off to Kent for the Southern Counties East groundhop this weekend - three games round Maidstone on Saturday and two in Tunbridge Wells on Sunday (there is also a Friday evening game, but work means I won't be able to get to that one).

Comment

We were meant to be going with my nephew and several of his friends to see Shrewsbury v Oxford about a month ago as his birthday celebration. But the Queen died and all football got cancelled. So on Saturday we are going to see Shrewsbury v notoxford with my nephew and several of his friends and hoping for a much better performance than what I saw last Saturday against Cheltenham.

Comment

Another Saturday, another lengthy car journey. The considerable appeal of a matchday in Newcastle is somewhat diminished by not being able to have a drink.

On Tuesday, on my way to see my Mum, I might try to pop in to St Albans City v Concord Rangers.

Comment

The first of four Tewkesbury derbies for my u12s this season as we take on Tewkesbury Town Colts. It's our first ever game against this particular team who were put together at the back end of last season.

I don't want to put pressure on the kids, but a win is expected!!!

Comment

Am up in Manchester for the half marathon on Sunday, and been enquiring about tickets for City v Southampton. Used the livefootballtickets website and procured a ticket in the Colin Bell stand for £65, and awaiting that to be emailed to me. Seems a legit website anyway, and not been to City since ex-Imp Darren Huckerby scored a brace (or maybe three) against Grimsby over 20 years ago. Fingers crossed the ticket comes through and i'm not left scrambling for a phone number to complain about being robbed.

Comment

Heading down to Gloucestershire this evening before a first visit to Forest Green tomorrow. It came pretty high on the list of worst away days on Twitter yesterday but I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

I think you'll enjoy everything about it, apart from standing on that awful terrace. Nailsworth and Stroud, are lovely places.

Comment

It's a big cricketing weekend for me.

My son's cricket season starts next weekend, although the fixtures aren't out yet due to all the clubs scrambling to register their various teams. So we're having a friendly match against our club's U14s, who are the year above us. Their coach is being a bit of a knob as they only have 8 players, which is the minimum required for his age group as they now go up to 11-a-side. He's been threatening to take players from our team but been told time and again that none want to move up and can't be forced to. Some of his kids are taller than me with deeper voices and significant bum fluff. So when this coach sees our short-arsed, high-pitched screaming kids, with their smooth-as-a-baby's-bum faces, I think the penny will drop and he'll realise that none are physically ready for the step up. Half our team, including my son, are still wearing the same game-day top from their U10s days.

On Sunday morning the Club is having a morning BBQ to bring in the new season and for the various teams and coaches to collect all their gear etc. Then in the afternoon it's off to Optus Stadium for the T20 game between Australia and England as they warm up for the T20 World Cup which starts next Sunday. I'd forgotten all about this game and am a bit annoyed at having to drag myself out the house on a Sunday afternoon for a 4.10pm start.

Comment

Millwall away for the umpteenth occasion and really looking forward to imprisonment after the game. There being no trains adds an extra degree of niggle so I won't be meeting people for a beer before the game and will, instead, catch the 'bus. Or I might even walk.

Comment

I'm off to Wallingford & Crowmarsh v Oxhey Jets on Saturday afternoon. It's my final ground in the Combined Counties Premier North as I strive to recomplete some of the leagues that the most recent reorganisation (and the pernicious progress of Jersey's and Guernsey's sides) have robbed me of. It's a bit of a trek but my younger daughter has just started university nearby and already has a carload of things she needs dropped off so I'm doing that too.

On Tuesday evening I think I might go to Walthamstow v Hadley in the Southern League D1 Central. I haven't been to Wadham Lodge since they were Waltham Forest which was before their crowds started increasing so have been meaning to revisit for a while. A friend is talking about possibly getting some tickets for Spurs v Eintracht Frankfurt on Wednesday so if they come up with them,I'll do that too. I was actually meant to be at the ground for the Giants v Packers gridiron game on Sunday too but the practicalities didn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        I'm off to Wallingford & Crowmarsh v Oxhey Jets on Saturday afternoon
                        Ooh, do they play at the old Wallingford ground?

Comment

I'm off to Walsall on Saturday. Staying with friends in Tamworth, one of whom is from Walsall, so he's going to need to keep schtum during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                            Heading down to Gloucestershire this evening before a first visit to Forest Green tomorrow. It came pretty high on the list of worst away days on Twitter yesterday but I'm looking forward to it.
                            Apparently, one of the few EFL grounds that doesn't have an adjacent train station.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

Apparently, one of the few EFL grounds that doesn't have an adjacent train station.
                              Or, given the Govts intransigence, somewhere for the replacement bus service to drop off.

Comment

My first weekend without the kids here and a day off on a Saturday, so it's Shoreham vs Billingshurst in the Southern Combination Division One for me. No trains (probably - they're not updating the timetable until tomorrow morning), but there's bus to Shoreham from the end of my road and my biggest concern is not to get too giddy with the no childcare thing, stay out pissing it up, and miss the grocery delivery I have booked in for 9.00 in the evening.

Comment

I think I would be in severe trouble if I was in your shoes Ian.

Enjoy your Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Ooh, do they play at the old Wallingford ground?
                                    They actually are Wallingford Town AFC née AFC Wallingford née Wallingfords Town and United that merged in the nineties.

They changed their name again this summer after a merger with a youth football club. I doubt that moniker will last either.

Their ground is The Hithercroft, is it nice?
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-10-2022, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

How are we defining adjacent here? There are loads of EFL grounds some way from a train station.

Comment

Some local non-league tomorrow tbc, then Rangers v Liverpool next Wednesday evening. The timing of the latter has not been fortuitous as I'm going to the Isle of Mull on Thursday for my annual rallying jaunt, but the logistical arrangements for that mean that I have to come home from Glasgow after the match, get about 4 hours sleep and then drive back up past Glasgow to get the ferry from Oban the next morning.

Comment

The train strike and engineering work on the District Line is playing havoc with my travel plans for tomorrow's game at Stamford Bridge.

Three long-ish bus trips would get me somewhere near the ground, if I can get on them, which is one option. Two buses and then the Northern Line to the new Battersea Power Station tube and a walk at the end is another option that I'd quite fancy. Best of the lot is if Southern are still running a service and I can get to Victoria.

There's always Uber for at least part of the journey, if surge pricing hasn't kicked in.

At least the weather's supposed to be decent, so any waiting around or walking won't be too much of a drag.

Comment

TBF, Third rate Leszno's journey is definitely the trickier one!

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                              Some local non-league tomorrow tbc, then Rangers v Liverpool next Wednesday evening. The timing of the latter has not been fortuitous as I'm going to the Isle of Mull on Thursday for my annual rallying jaunt, but the logistical arrangements for that mean that I have to come home from Glasgow after the match, get about 4 hours sleep and then drive back up past Glasgow to get the ferry from Oban the next morning.
                                              If it’s any help TrL you could come and crash at ours.

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post

If it’s any help TrL you could come and crash at ours.
                                                Cheers for the offer mate, but no that wouldn't solve the problem - I'm going to Mull with a mate who won't be at the match...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

They actually are Wallingford Town AFC née AFC Wallingford née Wallingfords Town and United that merged in the nineties.

They changed their name again this summer after a merger with a youth football club. I doubt that moniker will last either.

Their ground is The Hithercroft, is it nice?
                                                  Nice? Hmmm.

We went there once, it had pissed down, the whole place was a bog, Joe Sheerin was sent off, we lost, and there was a massive fight in the bar at half time which saw a police helicopter being called in.

Fun day out.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X