Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are they!? Exacchhly!! (Matchgoing starting Friday 5 Aug)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
    Looking at PT's photo it seems I was stood to the left of him. I did see who I thought was his brother, but turned out it might have been him.
    My brother was stood next to me. Trying to remember who was to my right. Seemed to be mainly yoofs.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

My brother was stood next to me. Trying to remember who was to my right. Seemed to be mainly yoofs.
      I'm 54. A yooffull looking 54, but still. I was next to the accessibility platform at the very back.

Comment

I'm 54. A yooffull looking 54, but still. I was next to the accessibility platform at the very back.
        For some reason I didn't think you were going to be there. Sometime maybe the stars will align.

Are you going to Bristol Rovers?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

For some reason I didn't think you were going to be there. Sometime maybe the stars will align.

Are you going to Bristol Rovers?
          Yes. Always do the Bristol games, got a mate in W-S-M and one in Bristol.

In fact spending the weekend in Weston.

Comment

Yes. Always do the Bristol games, got a mate in W-S-M and one in Bristol.

In fact spending the weekend in Weston.
            Maybe see you there.

Comment

Sunday - Gresford Athletic 2-1 Airbus UK Broughton (Welsh League Cup)

Very different weather to my trip to Chirk in the previous round, as this was played in glorious sunshine. As with Chirk, Gresford's ground is also used for cricket, hence the Sunday game. A market was taking place at the adjacent community centre, so pre-match snack was cheese scones followed by honeycomb ice cream.

First half of the game was dreadful but things improved in the second half, with an excellent finish giving the home side the lead. This seemed to stir Airbus, and they were level fairly quickly, but another good finish gave the home side victory. Based on this performance I can see Airbus' return to the top flight being a short one.

Tuesday - Pause. United 0-3 Storeys (West Lancashire League Division Two)

Pause are new to the West Lancs this season, having moved up from the North Lancashire League. They are a team aimed at promoting men's well-being and have a large pause symbol on the front of their shirts, which makes every player look like they are number 11. Pause are from Lancaster and played on park pitches there in previous seasons. However, with the move up the leagues, has come a move in ground. This is to Bentham, a North Yorkshire village around 15 miles from Lancaster. The ground here was previously used by Bentham in the North Lancs, but they dropped out a few years ago. It's a basic village rec, with a barrier along one side and some collapsible dug outs.

Storeys, from Lancaster, were fairly easy winners in this one. They took the lead early on and never really looked like being beaten.

Wednesday - Helsby 6-2 Sutton Athletic (West Cheshire League Division Three)

Helsby is a small town between Runcorn and Ellesmere Port, and the football club play within a larger sports club that also offers bowls and tennis. The club moved about 500 metres a few years ago, and the footballers now use an artificial pitch adjacent to the Chester - Warrington rail line.

Sutton ran away with Division Three last season, but were blown away in the first half as Helsby took a 4-1 lead into the break. About ten minutes into the second half, Helsby were awarded a penalty. This was greatly protested by the Sutton team, as they claimed the foul was outside the area (I was standing pretty much side on to the challenge, and I would have said it was a couple of metres outside). The penalty was converted, but Sutton continued protesting. The referee sent off their manager, but he refused to go and so the referee went instead. There was then about ten minutes confusion whilst everyone calmed down and eventually the referee agreed to continue after the Sutton manager eventually went into the changing rooms. The remainder of the game was fairly nondescript, other than Sutton getting a second and Helsby restoring their four goal lead at the death, via a nice dink over the keeper.

Comment

Simpson got a better reception than I thought he would and just reaffirmed my oft held view that Shrewsbury fans are as soft as shite.

He was a cunt and a racist one at that.
                Remind me about the racist bit, Nick? It may just be the passage of time and my shit memory but I don't recall that getting mentioned at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                  Remind me about the racist bit, Nick? It may just be the passage of time and my shit memory but I don't recall that getting mentioned at the time.
                  I have mentioned it on here before.

At a fans Q&A when he first arrived he answered a question about player recruitment. He gave a long and detailed answer, which included the comment that he very reluctant to sign players from Africa as they are "Too lazy." This comment doesn't need explaining in any context.

Obviously, he has signed players of African heritage, but the right 'sort' I would imagine.

Comment

I have mentioned it on here before.

At a fans Q&A when he first arrived he answered a question about player recruitment. He gave a long and detailed answer, which included the comment that he very reluctant to sign players from Africa as they are "Too lazy." This comment doesn't need explaining in any context.

Obviously, he has signed players of African heritage, but the right 'sort' I would imagine.
                    Thanks Nick. That's not great is it, lazy offensive stereotyping at its worst. He's certainly signed enough black players to suggest that the colour of their skin isn't a problem, but he clearly had preconceived ideas about the character of certain nationalities.

Comment

Bayswater City 1-3 Stirling Macedonia Lions
                      WA NPL (last Saturday, 6th August)

I forgot to post this last week. It was 4th v 3rd and after a bright start from Bayswater, it all went wrong when star striker Ndumba Makeche got sent off when he went for a high ball with his foot rather than his head, and promptly raked his studs down the neck and chest of the Stirling player. Straight red card and 5 mins later Stirling took the lead with a free-kick floated to the back post, 'keeper half-strayed but didn't deal with it and the ball was headed back across him and into the net. Bayswater did create a couple of chances before half-time and were demanding a penalty after a tussle in the box, but it was waved away much to the annoyance of their bench. Minutes later, Bayswater were pressing the Stirling defence on the D when a Stirling player hauled down the Baywater striker, but all appeals for a red card were correctly waved away as they had another defender covering. The resulting free-kick just trundled into the 'keeper's arms. Stirling then scored their second and the game looked all but over before we'd even reached half-time.

Second half and suddenly Bayswater were back in it with a nicely taken goal, but within minutes Stirling burst their bubble with a neat turn and shot in the box that beat the 'keeper at his near post. Bayswater had a lovely move from one side of the pitch to the other, and finished it off with the striker stretching to finish it off, but the celebrations were cut short when the linesman raised his flag. Not many protests so it much have been a correct decision. After that, the game petered out and Stirling finished deserved winners.

Off you pop:

Stirling pressing the Bayswater defence:

Comment

Down County Durham way so picked out the West/Bishop Auckland derby on the Saturday and then Boro v Sheffield Utd on Sunday. Both hugely enjoyable games, the Boro one made even better when a guy approached me as I was in the ticket queue to check it was just a ticket for myself I was buying and gave me his daughter's season as she wasn't makng it, even better the seat was a row behind the director's box.

Only complaint I have is when did it become so difficult to get programmes at EFL games, was there an hour or so before kick off and never saw anybody selling them and the club shop seemed to be closed. Shouldn't really annoy me at 53 but....

Comment

I'm running the line at Brentwood Town v Harlow Town in the FA Cup on Saturday, I will endeavour to cower from the ball less than the young AR above.

Comment

Working...
                          X