Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are they!? Exacchhly!! (Matchgoing starting Friday 5 Aug)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are they!? Exacchhly!! (Matchgoing starting Friday 5 Aug)

Shrewsbury Town v Accrington Stanley on Saturday is the plan for me. But you probably guessed that from the thread title.

I will be travelling to the world's hardest to reach ground by car, avoiding the industrial estate (that doesn't exist), and not going on a pub crawl because I'm not arriving in Shrewsbury by train.

This fixture is a repeat of the last game I went to in 2021, which is also the last 0-0 I went to. Hoping history doesn't repeat.

I'm sticking around up there for a few days and going to watch Shrewsbury v Carlisle in the league cup on Tuesday.

Cliftonhill this Saturday. Old fashioned fleapit ground.

Comment

Saturday I'm going to the Commonwealth Games to see the first cricket semi final, which I believe is going to be England v India. If time permits after this I might carry on to Alvechurch v Stourbridge, though given that I only bought the cricket ticket quarter of an hour ago I haven't looked at any logistics for this yet.

NCEL division one action on Tuesday for Swallownest v Wakefield, or Ambitious Wakefield as they often seem to be called.

Comment

I'm back. From the Maracană to Meadow Lane for Magpies v Maidenhead.

On Sunday, it's Leicester v Brentford. I have no idea what the likely outcome will be but I hope Leicester can dispense with a few more players in the next 48 hours.

And to complete a decent first week, I can satisfy my craving for United Counties League Division 1 action with Radford v Gedling MW on Tuesday and Hucknall Town v Dunkirk on Wednesday.

Comment

SJP to see Tricky Trees play first Premier games this century. They seem to be getting favourable reviews for prospects of staying up which dont normally accompany the play off winners at each season start. Hosts will be kicking off in a stadium full of optimism which again hasnt accompanied many recent starts to a season.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post

Cliftonhill this Saturday. Old fashioned fleapit ground.
            Albion Rovers were my late grandad's team. Would love to watch a game there.

Comment

It's "the magic of the cup" for me tomorrow. Colne v 1874 Northwich is my first choice but the boy is keen to go to a game in which case we might stay local for Trafford v AFC Liverpool.

Tuesday I've got my eye on a couple of localish step 7 games which if time allows i aim to get to by bike.

Comment

I think if I never hear that 'Accrington Stanley'-line again, it won't be a moment too soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  I think if I never hear that 'Accrington Stanley'-line again, it won't be a moment too soon...
                  Yes, oh how we laugh uproariously every match when we hear it. Generally said by people thinking they are totally original.
                  I have no doubt I will hear it again this Saturday in Shrewsbury. I still (almost) miss the old ramshackle gay meadow but things like flush toilets, covered stands etc do have their plus points.
                  I'll be making a trip of it to enjoy a last couple of nights camping before the dark evenings bring that to a halt. The weather forecast is ok whatever "mainly dry" means.
                  it's still early enough in the season to be optimistic. Only 2 points off the top of the league

Comment

Magic of the cup for me as well, going to see Fisher FC v Sutton Common Rovers in the FA Cup extra preliminary round. Antepli Ejderha should be coming too.

Comment

Mansfield Town v Rovers tomorrow. Field Mill rapidly becoming a bit of a bogey ground.

Then, hopefully Belper Town v Lichfield City on Sunday

Would have gone to Accrington on Tuesday but the family club want £20 to stand on an open terrace for a League Cup tie, so no thanks, I’ll stay local and go to Horbury Town v Parkgate on Wednesday instead.

Comment

I've got a wedding tomorrow, so I won't be around to see Shaun Whalley score a late winner for Stanley.

The wedding is on a farm out on the Welshpool road, so it will involve a taxi to the middle of nowhere and plenty of drink. Just like a visit to the Medda, but without the football.

I'll go to the League Cup game on Tuesday against Carlisle. As I'm sure most of you know, Paul Simpson is in charge of Carlisle and I don't expect a reception like Whalley will get tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                          Magic of the cup for me as well, going to see Fisher FC v Sutton Common Rovers in the FA Cup extra preliminary round. Antepli Ejderha should be coming too.
                          Looking forward to it, last time I was at Fisher was for a world* cup group game.

*CONIFA

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Shortly after that advert came out, Stanley played a game at Colne Dynamoes. As a stupid kid with a Dynamoes season ticket, who stood on the halfway line next to the away dugout, I spent the night before with some marker pens and a roll of wallpaper, and wrote that phrase on a banner to be hung from the railings. It got a laugh from the managerial team and a "well done, son" from the physio.

Anyway, to Turf Moor to see the newly renamed Vincent Kompany's Burnley take on Luton Town. Hopes are high, with the game virtually a sellout (record number of season tickets sold to boot) and a new style to get used to. I've even got a new replica shirt for the first time since 2014. After the general sludge and predictability of the last couple of PL seasons, it's going to be a weird experience.

Comment

Apologies to shadsworth cloud for the thread title

Comment

To be honest, I didn't 'get' the thread title. But then I didn't 'get' the joke in the original advert either.

Anyroad, Cup action for me later - Stansted v Hadley. Then to QPR v Middlesbrough tomorrow.

Comment

No football for me this weekend. I've got tickets for four sessions of the Athletics at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham and also for some sessions of Boxing and Netball.

Wimbledon have a League Cup first round tie at home to Gillingham on Tuesday. It's a pretty uninspiring draw as they played them at home in the league last weekend but I'll probably go if my son or mates want to, with there being no other particularly enticing games on that night.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-08-2022, 10:22.

Comment

If things go to plan, it should be Arbroath v Inverness tomorrow and a Penrith game on Tuesday for me.

Comment

I don't think I've ever watched Netball before last night but the England v New Zealand game was terrific entertainment. The movement off the ball and the speed of the passing was a joy to watch. With Mrs H to help me I think I'd managed to get a hang of the rules by the end of it too.

Comment

As I have repeatedly said to the point of tedium on various threads in Sport, I find Netball a far better spectator sport than Basketball.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-08-2022, 10:32.

Comment

Bohemian fc women v Sligo Rovers women in the WFAI Cup. A win for either side will see them in the quarter finals for the first time

It's a 1pm kick off at Dalymount Park. The reason was so that Bohs fans could watch the game, then travel to Sligo for the men's league game, which was fixed for 7.45 Saturday. Sligo switching the game to Sunday put paid to that idea, but we've been promised free ice cream cones ,so there's that.

Comment

No games for me - wrestling in Leicester tomorrow instead - but I did see Concord Rangers’ floodlights from Canvey Island front today. That also means I now know where Concord Rangers are from.

Comment

HeavyDracula - are you participating or spectating tomorrow?

Mossley Hill Athletic 2-0 Aintree Villa (West Cheshire League Division One)

Mossley Hill share with a cricket club, so early home games are invariably on Friday nights. The home side's free kick taker had clearly spent the summer practicing a new routine, which is presumably why on multiple occasions he took kicks just outside the area and blasted them onto almost exactly the same point of the adjacent tennis courts. Around forty minutes in the home side did eventually take the lead, via a shot that took a massive deflection off one of the Aintree defenders. Early in the second half a visiting forward had an excellent chance to equalise but the shot from the edge of the six yard box was sent over the bar. Shortly after Mossley Hill got a second; their keeper took a long goal kick which bounced on the edge of the opposing penalty area and was found by a forward who knocked it pass the keeper. I presume the middle aged woman standing next to me was the keeper's mum, as she became extremely emotional about his assist and seemed to know a lot of his personal details.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                                HeavyDracula - are you participating or spectating tomorrow?
                                                Spectating at Wrestling Resurgence - my grappling days are long behind me!

Comment

Arrrgh, I am flip-flopping. I had been intending to go to Lancing vs Roffey in the FA Cup, but the person I was going with has dropped out and I just found out this morning that Worthing are at home against Dover and now I can't decide.

They're both equidistant from my house and both play on 3g pitches, and while the FA Cup in August is always tempting, I think the Worthing game might even give me even give me something to write about tomorrow (Worthing are on the up, while I have no idea what Dover might be like after their disastrous last season). I put a poll up on Twitter to try and help me decide, but it didn't.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X