Paul's boutique - Serie A 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Crying laughing emoji x 100)

47 people were on the field at one point, according to Gazzetto.

I initially thought that one of them was in a wheelchair, but I'd mis-read parapiglia (turmoil).

Comment

First ever win in Serie A and it is against Juve

https://twitter.com/acmonza/status/1571515133603749893?s=21&t=V3INHj7wuAlSvcxu_1rSdQ

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
        Juventus are fucking shit.
        It's actually worse than I thought.

Comment

Given Monza's set up, you don't actually want them to win, do you? And yet.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
              Given Monza's set up, you don't actually want them to win, do you? And yet.
              It would be genuinely hilarious if they went down having only won twice.

Both against Juve.

Comment

Also delighted for Di Maria. Along with Pogba exactly the sort of player you need to dig in and get you out of a fix.

Comment

Speaking of Pogba, his brother is in custody and is expected to be placed under formal investigation by tomorrow

Comment

Some ending to Empoli v AC Milan.

Comment

Juve a bit hard done by in the build up to the corner which led to Milan’s first goal. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Awful refereeing decision. They’ve lived by the sword…..
                      Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 08-10-2022, 17:47.

Comment

https://twitter.com/guardalinee/status/1597332963741421568?s=61&t=Huv2EcYaADZQrUVX1Sddqg

Comment

The chief has been asked to stay in charge by the organ
                          nothing more than we would expect from an organ...

Comment

An absolute battering, this

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1614009855299276816?s=20&t=A__AZYitalFt-5t9E5SinA

Comment

Kvaratskhelia is an incredibly exciting player isn't he, caught a bit of a buzz about him last season and he's really carried that form on at Napoli.
                              ​​​​​​
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Bremer had an absolute horror show in this one for Juve, he was directly responsible for two of the goals and arguably a third as well.

He's not the biggest name on this Napoli team; I was really impressed with Lobotka in this match, excellent combination of aggressively closing down/winning the ball back, technical ability to carry the ball when given the space to do so, and not bad passing either.

Comment

Oh Juve. Juve, Juve Juve.

Comment

Will be interesting to see if UEFA and FIFA take up the FIGC's request that the bans on Paratici et al doing "football business in Italy" be extended worldwide.

Tottenham be shook.

Comment

It looks to me that Parataci's future at Spurs is untenable in any case. Every transfer he conducted would come under intense scrutiny. Conte is also implicated, having been close to him for a long time at Juventus. Levy would, I'd think, need to throw them under the bus in order to look like he's cleaning up the mess.

OTOH I'd imagine that PSG, Real Madrid and Man City have been pulling the same tricks as Parataci.

Comment

Could become untenable, or everyone just looks the other way.

Comment

Why exactly did Juve do what they did? I mean I know the answer will essentially boil down to 'because they're Juventus', but what's the benefit? From what I've been able to gather with ten minutes' reading (while avoiding websites I prefer not to look on), they exaggerated the amount by which they temporarily reduced wages at the start of the pandemic. So what was the advantage to them in return for doing that? Did they pay less tax than they should have? Get more COVID compensation from the government than they should have? Was it an FFP thing? All of the above?

Comment

Recall that Juventus are a public company, with their shares traded on the Italian Stock Exchange.

The shenanigans allowed them to present an overly positive version of their financial results, which not only goosed the stock price, but also made it easier for them to execute two capital increases, and to do so at a higher price. I expect that at least some of the executives also had stock based compensation contracts, and thereby benefitted personally.

It also improved their FFP position, but that doesn't look to have been the primary motive.

Incidentally, all this also shows why Satchmo's assertion about the other clubs is misguided.

Comment

Yeah, it's barcelona on the other side of the Arthur deal. though the news that they were engaged in all sorts of exotic behaviour to make the books look better is not exactly news.

Comment

That's true about Artur, but the majority of players who have been the subject of this practice have never played a match in Serie A
                                                ​​​​​​
                                                I even remember talking about an early version of this involving a transfer of about a dozen teenagers between Inter and Milan with you and dalliance back when we still living in Italy.
                                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 22-01-2023, 20:00.

Comment

Thanks, ursus. There was something on the Guardian site today that went into a bit more detail on it. Obviously whatever the motivations it's very much a 'shocked ... shocked, I tell you' situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    That's true about Artur, but the majority of players who have been the subject of this practice have never played a match in Serie A
                                                    ​​​​​​
                                                    I even remember talking about an early version of this involving a transfer of about a dozen teenagers between Inter and Milan with you and dalliance back when we still living in Italy.
                                                    heh, some of them are playing for spurs and man city! It will be interesting to see if the "Valued at £60 million" tag on cancelo becomes an issue for city. They can legitimately argue that he's that good, but was that the case at the time of the purchase?

As for inter and Milan, it wasn't just youngsters either. Inter were buying milan squad players for fortunes, and giving them inter discards like Pirlo and seedorf and brocchi in exchange. You have to marvel at the sheer wastefulness of Inter Milan. Though the temptation is to see Moratti as a naive Daddy's boy making huge, but bad bets in a game that is unnecessarily rigged anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X