Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torna la lliga! ¡Así gana Madrid! Peter go home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.itv.com/football/article...ee-season-deal

Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere but ITV have the rights to show 10 La Liga games this season, starting with Real Sociedad v Barcelona this next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Don't watch the Premier League so this evening was the first time I'd ever seen him play.* Not the most auspicious of starts - he was at fault for the goal and got a rollocking from Ancelotti - but nowhere near Woodgate levels of debuts to forget.

*No, I tell a lie. Just remembered that I saw him when we played Chelsea in the Champions League last year.

Rudi is a bang average defender. He seemed to have a cloak of invisibility when he played for us, frequently manhandling players to win the ball and invariably getting away with it. There was no guile or sophistication to his approach and he looked quite basic even for the PL, a real headless chicken at times, which is why I was surprised when he went to RM and La Liga. I was a little surprised that he wasn't concerned at being caught out in a more technical league but understood the attraction of the club. I was more surprised that RM thought he would be a good fit.

On the plus side, he's a big personality on the pitch who won't throw the towel in and is quite a goal threat at set pieces. Strong and pacey. Good guy off the pitch too, I believe.

I'm going to be watching from afar with great interest.

Comment

Useful information, thanks NS. He was pretty good in fact and seemed to settle in quite quickly and make his presence felt.. He was blamed for the goal but, to my mind, it was more just great play from Ramazani and Sadiq.

As to why he was signed, I'm not sure if he was signed as a first team dead cert, more as cover. Plus a big contributing factor is that, like David Alaba from Bayern Munich the year before, he was free.

Comment

Is Sid Lowe lesving the Guardian? Taking a break, it says at the end of his column today, but why do a season-opening artícle and then go?

Comment

He's had this holiday planned for months, as it works with the local school calendar.

He's back after the third match day.

Comment

Cheers

Comment

ESPN+ is streaming every single la Liga match this season in both English and Spanish for US subscribers

Athletic Club - Mallorca has reminded me why I will not be watching all of them.
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 15-08-2022, 19:36.

Comment

Don't watch the Premier League so this evening was the first time I'd ever seen him play.* Not the most auspicious of starts - he was at fault for the goal and got a rollocking from Ancelotti - but nowhere near Woodgate levels of debuts to forget.

*No, I tell a lie. Just remembered that I saw him when we played Chelsea in the Champions League last year.
                  He deliberately fractured kevin de bruyne's eyesocket in the 2021 champions league final, and a couple of weeks later bit paul pogba at Euro 2021. He's a complicated figure.

Comment

https://www.itv.com/football/article...ee-season-deal

Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere but ITV have the rights to show 10 La Liga games this season, starting with Real Sociedad v Barcelona this next weekend.
                    do you know if theyll be showing the liga highlight show through the week as well?

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post

do you know if theyll be showing the liga highlight show through the week as well?
                      I'm hoping so, Stevie, but I haven't seen any mention of a highlights programme.

Comment

Comfortable and impressive 2-0 away win for Rayo at Espanyol tonight. Espanyol had apparently played well in a creditable draw in Vigo last weekend.

Comment

Miserable 0-2 home defeat for Rayo at the hands of an apparently impressive Mallorca.

Still huge problems getting tickets, the fans as ever treated deplorably by a club who, I’m willing to guess, must be the only top flight outfit in Europe without a functioning online ticket facility. Almost inevitably- and quite reasonably- the crowd quickly turned on Presa.

I got to really love this club during my time in Madrid. The fans deserve so much better than this.

https://www.football-espana.net/2022...on-tickets/amp

Comment

One of the more amusing things about watching barcelona on premier sports, is that that co-commentators are always talking about Barcelona's strength in depth, now that they've got 40 senior players.

Comment

Beating Valencia certainly doesn’t carry the kudos it used to, but it’s still a win that Rayo ought to be pleased with. Clever early set piece goal by Isi Palazon to get them on their way. Rayo currently in the top half of the table so a solid enough start to what I thought would be a difficult season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                Beating Valencia certainly doesn’t carry the kudos it used to, but it’s still a win that Rayo ought to be pleased with. Clever early set piece goal by Isi Palazon to get them on their way. Rayo currently in the top half of the table so a solid enough start to what I thought would be a difficult season.
                                Oh that's a great result for you, Tony. Sevilla finally win - away at Espanyol. Betis, on the other hand, are having a great start to the season and leapfrogged Vllareal into third. Both Madrid and Barca scored 4, against Mallorca and Cadiz respectively. Benzema went off against Celtic so it's good to see Madrid manage to get some goals without him - some good ones too.

Comment

Madrid only clicked when Hazard was taken off, so that renaissance seems to have been very short lived.

Comment

https://twitter.com/tsf_podcast/status/1569728459894554624?s=21&t=qy4ECKvnl4RyM7-zwH_Nag

He will be joining Rayo in January

Comment

Negotiations over this transfer didn’t go smoothly…

https://www.sportbible.com/football/...20912.amp.html

If the player comes to Rayo it would be quite a coup, he was an outstanding and popular performer when he was at Vallecas on loan from Real Madrid a few seasons ago. Rayo spending an alleged €10m on a player is surprise - Presa seems unusually keen to please the crowd. Good luck with that.

Comment

First time seeing Madrid this season this evening. They beat Atleti away at the Wanda Civitas Metropolitano, 1-2, the goals coming from Rodrygo and Valverde. The team have coped really well with the loss of Benzema these past few games.. I think Rodrygo and Valverde have both scored three already this season. Last season Rodrygo got four in the league and Valverde didn't get any. And if Benzema wasn't playing last season we would inevitably lose (most spectacularly against Barcelona at home last March).

I heard that, depressingly, there was some racist abuse to Vini Jr from Atleti fans both before and during the game. There is a whole back story to this that I was not aware of until just now reading this Sid Lowe article on the match. https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-racist-abuse

Comment

Very depressing indeed. Atletico fans are a peculiar bunch.

Comment

Gotta say I'm very impressed by how quickly vinicius became really good. There wasn't a lot to suggest he was ever going to be this good in his first season. Turns out he's extremely into practice, preparation and study and is a knowledge sponge, so in hindsight this was kind of inevitable.

It also should go without saying that I hope that the next shite of those abusing him is a hedgehog
                                            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 19-09-2022, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              Gotta say I'm very impressed by how quickly vinicius became really good. There wasn't a lot to suggest he was ever going to be this good in his first season. Turns out he's extremely into practice, preparation and study and is a knowledge sponge, so in hindsight this was kind of inevitable.

It also should go without saying that I hope that the next shite of those abusing him is a hedgehog
                                              He looks very good indeed, as does Rodrygo the more I see of him.

On the subject of quality La Liga strikers you’ll go a long way to find an instinctive finish to match Falcao’s second goal for Rayo on Saturday in their 3-2 defeat at Athletic Bilbao. Rayo also on the wrong side of the tightest VAR decision imaginable to have a goal ruled out. Considering Athletic’s strong start to the season a good performance from Rayo.

Comment

Yes, Vini Jr just gets better every season. I'm really hoping he has a good World Cup. Rodrygo too. The other player who looked good last night and has apparently had a really strong start to the season is Tchouameni. Signed this summer. from Monaco, he looks a more than adequate replacement for Casemiro, and ten years younger. It occurs to me that these kind of players (plus Camavinga) fit the new Real Madrid mould as they are increasingly going to struggle to match the spending power of the Premier League clubs plus PSG.

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                                On the subject of quality La Liga strikers you’ll go a long way to find an instinctive finish to match Falcao’s second goal for Rayo on Saturday in their 3-2 defeat at Athletic Bilbao. Rayo also on the wrong side of the tightest VAR decision imaginable to have a goal ruled out. Considering Athletic’s strong start to the season a good performance from Rayo.
                                                Also of note in that game - both Inyaki and his brother, Nico Williams, got on the scoresheet for Athletic Club.

Comment

Sid Lowe very good on the racism at the Metropolitano on the current Spanish Football Podcast.

He also wrote a report on the Athletic/Rayo game.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...no-ghana-spain
                                                  Last edited by Tony C; 20-09-2022, 09:30.

Comment

I was going to commend that myself, particularly for the way in which he highlighted the role of the god awful Spanish futbol "debate" media, centered the importance of Vinicius' experience ofthe abuse and discussed how his own reaction evolved.

We have very fortunate to have him.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X