Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worse things happen at sea eh

Comment

Is there not an argument for actually agreeing with it? For all the drama of the 1989 Anfield title decider-Arsenal had won plenty of titles before then and have won plenty since. And for many Arsenal fans 20 years younger winning the title in 1971 at White Hart Lane might well stand comparison with Anfield. The unbeaten top flight record though-only been one other time and that dates to 1889.

Comment

To be fair, the concept of a 'final day' in English football, where the last round of fixtures are all played on the same day with the same kick-off time and all others have to be completed before then, is even younger than the Premier League. In the first season of the Premier League in 1992-3 the last set of fixtures were played across the weekend of 8-9 May and there were still a couple of fixtures outstanding that were completed during the following week. The article associated with the link specifically restricts it to the Premier League but is then ambiguous as it starts asking what is the club's most memorable final day but then goes on to ask each individual what is theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          Yeah, I mean, fuck it, even any half-arsed fan of Arsenal born after 1990 should be fully aware of what happened in 1989, and if not then they definitely should not be running a fans media site.
          But - in her defense - they haven't shut up about 2004 since.

Comment

I'm not sure what would have happened to a simultaneous final day in 1989 given the postponements created by the Hillsborough disaster. Earlier than that, the weather and inferior pitch technology might have made it unworkable (1947, 63, 70, 71, 72, 79, 85, 86).

Comment

Far be it for me to defend a Gooner - let alone one crowing about winning the title at WHL - but if it's 'her' most memorable day, then so be it.

(I can't claim May 6th 1961 - the day we completed the Double - as 'my' most memorable Spurs moment, because I wasn't born yet.)

Comment

I think that a large part of the split in the way people care understanding the question is the gear-stripping shift from "every club" to "their memory" in the way it was phrased.

Comment

That last match for Arsenal's unbeaten season wasn't even dramatic, though. They eked out a 2-1 win against a Leicester side that was already relegated and had wrapped up the title a few weeks earlier. Even if Leicester had equalised the record was still intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                    To be fair, the concept of a 'final day' in English football, where the last round of fixtures are all played on the same day with the same kick-off time and all others have to be completed before then, is even younger than the Premier League.
                    1972 - Derby County literally in a Spanish beach-side bar with Cloughie - winning the league - as LFC are robbed winning it by a ref at Arsenal as Leeds lose 2-1 at Wolves.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post

1972 - Derby County literally in a Spanish beach-side bar with Cloughie - winning the league - as LFC are robbed winning it by a ref at Arsenal as Leeds lose 2-1 at Wolves.
                      The Derby players and Peter Taylor were in Spain. Clough was in the Scilly Isles with his family.

Comment

That last match for Arsenal's unbeaten season wasn't even dramatic, though. They eked out a 2-1 win against a Leicester side that was already relegated and had wrapped up the title a few weeks earlier. Even if Leicester had equalised the record was still intact.
                        Had it been a draw rather than a win mattered not though. They just had to avoid defeat to claim to be only the second team ever in the history of top flight football to go a season unbeaten. As for element of drama-that not an implicit requirement in the way question framed. And I think the question was framed in such a way that it was clear it could only relate to personal experience. The Arsenal respondent caused the inadvertent shift by nominating the game as the club most memorable game rather than hers in the first sentence.

Comment

I remember it well. Leicester were one up at half time and good value for it. Never before or since have I sensed a large crowd collectively crapping itself the way Highbury was during the break. I caught the eye of one home fan glaring sullenly in my direction and waggled my tongue lewdly at him, prompting an entertainingly visible outburst that I couldn't hear. An awesome second half performance from Patrick Vieira combined with a dodgy pen rescued the home team. I'm sure any Arsenal fan who was there would recall the relief they felt as the penalty went in.

That was an odd season. Even though they were relegated Leicester's forward line was arguably as good or better than when MON was manager - Les Ferdinand's last hurrah, Paul Dickov's best version and Marcus Bent. But behind them was a mess.

Comment

Didn't we do the summer rounds of every manager looking for a contract extension leaking that they were linked with the Tottenham job last summer? It feels like it is becoming a tradition. Maybe we can get the De Jong to Manchester United story going and it can truly become groundhog day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I was going to say Robinho didn't sign for the current iteration of City. I'd forgotten he actually did, arriving on the same day as the current owners. Although I suppose my point still holds, as all the negotiations would have been done with Shinawatra's lot, wouldn't they?
                              I'd always thought Jo was their first big signing. There was always a sense he'd been signed for Hughes rather than a player he'd actually wanted.

Comment

No, it was Robinho. It had all the magic of a Brazilian arriving in Manchester without any party fully understanding why he was there.

Comment

Is Ten Hag wearing some kind of cardigan/jacket hybrid?

Comment

Chelsea fans singing "Bruno Bruno you're a cunt" after the whiney little fuckweasel makes the most of a tiny bit of contact in the box. I wish more terrace chants had the C word in them.

Comment

Man U fans getting excited about finishing on 75 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                        Chelsea fans singing "Bruno Bruno you're a cunt" after the whiney little fuckweasel makes the most of a tiny bit of contact in the box. I wish more terrace chants had the C word in them.
                                        That chant has been adopted by a few in League 1 to direct at Barton, the use of the C word surprised me I have to be honest, even if the sentiment didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          Man U fans getting excited about finishing on 75 points.
                                          Tbf it only happened-if even it does- once since Ferguson left. And if it does it leaves Man Utd as the only team NUFC have still to finish above in the Premier League era.
                                          Last edited by ale; 25-05-2023, 20:10.

Comment

I can't listen to Gary talking his excitable nonsense in his intensely serious fashion without thinking of his mini retirements. I just can't do it

Comment

The whiney little fuckweasel makes it three

Comment

I don't know how much contact there was, but I've rarely seen a defender trying so hard to give away a penalty

Comment

Comment

This Chelsea team are pathetic. Pound for pound, the worst PL team of all time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X