Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Glad to see you are taking this so well
    Signing Alexis Sanchez by offering him ridiculous wages no one would match didn't happen because he turned out to be crap.

Comment

One of the major driving forces behind this latest investigation, and the basis of several of the charges is a football leaks email that revealed that roberto mancini was getting paid 60% of his salary in Abu Dhabi. That was before they remotely started caring about ffp at all.

I can't envisage a world where owners so openly hostile to ffp, who also happen to own a major banking centre, aren't paying players there as well. It's the really obvious way to cheat ffp.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Signing Alexis Sanchez by offering him ridiculous wages no one would match didn't happen because he turned out to be crap.
        CR7 also, of course. These are the kind of signings that Man City avoid but the Glazars don't because the gameplans are very different: sportswashing by building a great team (Man C) versus flash signings that make no sense tactically so they can fleece the shirt market and pay themselves a nice dividend (Man U).

Comment

I guess City did it once with Robinho to make a statement and then learnt from that?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

CR7 also, of course. These are the kind of signings that Man City avoid but the Glazars don't because the gameplans are very different: sportswashing by building a great team (Man C) versus flash signings that make no sense tactically so they can fleece the shirt market and pay themselves a nice dividend (Man U).
            Yea but that Man U 'innocence' and incompetence might soon be a thing of the past.

Comment

A fun first half. Unbelievable goal from Enciso. Phil Foden is a terrific player.

According to the commentator, this is a weak City side. I have no way of processing that in a way that makes sense. And then there’s Alan Smith. ‘Kinell, how does he get this gig time & again.

Pleased van Hecke is having a better game.

Sky showing the Julio shot and the image of City fans applauding behind is just brilliant.

my word…

Comment

That was a very enjoyable game. Brighton played some cracking stuff. I also enjoyed Guardiola losing his shit on the touchline.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  Wasn't one of the reasons that they got rid of him because he couldn't stop shooting his mouth off? It was a very public demonstration to the others - "we do not do business like that".
                  It was an accidental reply all to an email that did for Cook, mocking Nedum Onuoha's mum's cancer. There was Sulaiman Al-Fahim, who initially fronted the takeover but was quickly binned due to his boastful nature.

Cook lasted 3 years. He can't have upset Abu Dhabi that much as he subsequently took an exec role at UFC, which was part owned by an Abu Dhabi investment fund at the time.

Comment

Uxbridge Football Club?

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                      I guess City did it once with Robinho to make a statement and then learnt from that?
                      I was going to say Robinho didn't sign for the current iteration of City. I'd forgotten he actually did, arriving on the same day as the current owners. Although I suppose my point still holds, as all the negotiations would have been done with Shinawatra's lot, wouldn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I was going to say Robinho didn't sign for the current iteration of City. I'd forgotten he actually did, arriving on the same day as the current owners. Although I suppose my point still holds, as all the negotiations would have been done with Shinawatra's lot, wouldn't they?
                        Not necessarily.

Comment

Man city also bought adebayor, nasri and clichy from arsenal, Carlos tevez and a load of other players, including trying to buy Wayne Rooney. Man utd gave him the new contract he was looking for, but man city still were paying 10 players more than him. There were just so many statements going on all over the place. Man city might have stuck with a manager with a clear idea of what he wants, and have a sporting director type, who knows him very well and can identify suitable players. This is how you get a high hit rate in your signings. But there were five or six seasons before that, that were quite chaotic. I mean they tried to sign Kaka, for a hell of a lot of money in their first winter transfer window, but he just didn't want to go, having likely been in communication with real madrid who signed him six months later. In hindsight they really dodged a bullet there given his subsequent injury problems.
                          Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 25-05-2023, 09:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

CR7 also, of course. These are the kind of signings that Man City avoid...
                            There were very strong rumours he was going to sign for Manchester City before he eventually re-signed for their neighbours, of course.

Was it ever conclusively established these were nonsense?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Not necessarily.
                              Now you say that I do recall it being portrayed/perceived as some kind of welcome gift.

Comment

I know people joke about football not existing before the creation of the Premier League, but fuck me. Seriously?

Comment

Can't see that at all, Sean of the Shed.

Comment

https://twitter.com/seanoftheshed/status/1661697021835706370?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

I hate to say it but having Googled the name of the person who said it, it looks like she's far too young to remember/have been alive in 1989.

Comment

I am both old and a historian, but I am not sure that should matter

Comment

I mean, the article is quite clear that they've asked each supporter for a moment that was memorable to them personally

Comment

Then that's how she should have presented it.

"My most memorable final day", not "Arsenal's most memorable final day".

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Now you say that I do recall it being portrayed/perceived as some kind of welcome gift.
                                              Yes it was.

The idea that Abu Dhabi Group observed strict business ethics in waiting for all documentation to be completed on the takeover of the club before putting into place their initial development strategy seems quaint in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                Then that's how she should have presented it.

"My most memorable final day", not "Arsenal's most memorable final day".
                                                There's a bit in bold writing at the top of the page above the Arsenal fan's quote that says, "Every supporter has one final day of the season that stands out above all others in their memory, so we asked our Premier League fan community to share theirs."​

Comment

Yes, and at least some of us don't read that as being limited to something one experienced personally

Comment

Yeah, I mean, fuck it, even any half-arsed fan of Arsenal born after 1990 should be fully aware of what happened in 1989, and if not then they definitely should not be running a fans media site.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X