No announcement yet.

Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To which the reply is surely: "well, that wasn't a great long-term strategy."

Comment

And the response to that is a short term measure that bumps the income up by £150 million can be part of a longer term strategy.

Its no longer necessarily the case that the place to build your top-flight capable team is out of the limelight in the second tier, ready to be unleashed fully formed or close to it. The building work can come in multiple steps up and down.

Comment

Without doubt Forest needed to add significantly to their squad, but of the four loanees in their final winning squad they probably could have secured three of them. Keinan Davis is on loan again in the Championship at Watford, Philip Zinckernagel was bought by Marinakis, but for Olympiakos (and has now been loaned to Standard Liege), while Garner would have been obtainable had they come in with sizeable money early in the window. Spence was the only one who was out of bounds, with Tottenham rapidly wrapping up a deal.

So they could have had greater levels of continuity had they been inclined to go in that direction.

Comment

I was at the Forest v Huddersfield Play Off Final and neither looked anywhere near PL quality. Huddersfield were robbed by the ref.

Comment

Is Steve Bruce still at WBA? If so can only continue to extend sympathy to Baggies fans. If not can only extend sympathy to fans of wherever he pitches up. Because some daftie will offer him another chance. We gave him £7 million to get rid. Why does he keep doing it? He not being fair to himself. Or to supporters at wherever he rocks up.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
              Is Steve Bruce still at WBA? If so can only continue to extend sympathy to Baggies fans. If not can only extend sympathy to fans of wherever he pitches up. Because some daftie will offer him another chance. We gave him £7 million to get rid. Why does he keep doing it? He not being fair to himself. Or to supporters at wherever he rocks up.
              He's gone. Please no.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned that the titular Kevin Betsy has been fired by Crawley Cryptos FC?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                  He's gone. Please no.
                  They'd be daft to, Bruce has achieved pretty much fuck all since he left Hull which is a while back now. This might well be the end of his managerial career.

On the other side I could see West Brom going for Chris Wilder. They've been linked with him at least twice before, and they seem to like appointing Proper Football Men given that they've had Pardew, Allardyce, Pulis and Bruce in recent memory.

Comment

Is there anywhere left in this country where Steve Bruce could live without having dogshit posted through his letterbox?

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                      IWe gave him £7 million to get rid. Why does he keep doing it? He not being fair to himself. Or to supporters at wherever he rocks up.
                      addicted to the pay-offs, the lazy shite.

pure fate that the wolves job is open now, they should definitely hire the man to complete another pair of rivals on his CV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                        Is there anywhere left in this country where Steve Bruce could live without having dogshit posted through his letterbox?
                        Only if it didn't have any dogs.

Comment

He's probably one of the few people thankful for the postal strikes recently.

Well, him and whoever's been doing the rounds down his way... not having to put up with the stench in their vans.

Comment

Does anyone think Bruce may do what Mark Hughes did and manage a team in the lower leagues? I really cannot see any PL or Championship club going for him.

Comment

I think if he did it would have to be at a club where there is potential for growth and a project - Charlton, or maybe Bolton, would be possibilities. Appointing him at a mid-to-lower budget club like Exeter or Bristol Rovers and hope he could take them to the play offs would be a waste of time for everybody - it's not an area he's ever really worked and there's plenty of other lower profile (cheaper) managers who can do that thing. And given his age he probably wouldn't be looking to develop those skills now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
                                Does anyone think Bruce may do what Mark Hughes did and manage a team in the lower leagues? I really cannot see any PL or Championship club going for him.
                                There are fallen on hard times badly mismanaged clubs lower down although they seem to be savvier than they used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post

They'd be daft to, Bruce has achieved pretty much fuck all since he left Hull which is a while back now. This might well be the end of his managerial career.

On the other side I could see West Brom going for Chris Wilder. They've been linked with him at least twice before, and they seem to like appointing Proper Football Men given that they've had Pardew, Allardyce, Pulis and Bruce in recent memory.
                                  Yes, I can't see him coming back from this. Similarly, we ended Allardyce's career a couple of years ago too. Just despairing as to what will happen next as the club's board really have no clue. The club have been sliding inexorably to disaster for the past few years, with bad decision after bad decision. I suppose, looking on the optimistic side, surely we have hit rock bottom now, and the only way is up? (Yes, I know this is not true but I'm trying to be positive).

Comment

Screenshot_20221011-072615_Chrome.jpg
                                    Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 11-10-2022, 06:27.

Comment

They can have that ex-Ipswich manager. Just keep away from our current one.

Comment

Middlesbrough deep in talks with Michael Carrick about the manager’s job apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                          I'm wondering how much influence Cooper had regarding the summer spending spree. You could see a spiv like Harry Redknapp going full on Brewster given half the chance, but Cooper gives me the impression of someone who would keep the core of his promotion squad and only add players who would improve the team in the right positions.
                                          Forest sack two staff involved in summer recruitment.

Comment

Thankfully, the cavalry has arrived to sort the mess out. Look at his experience in... Watford.

Has anyone looked closely when Cooper is being interviewed to see if he is asking us, via blinking, to come and rescue him?

Comment

It feels like it should be a joke doesn't it?

It's the day of the big meeting with the board. Steve Cooper knows results have been bad, the recruitment is being questioned, the league table doesn't lie. He returns home, walking in the door, ashen-faced. He sits down heavily at the kitchen table. His wife puts a fresh mug of tea in front of him. She sits down too and takes his hand.

"How was it, love?" she asks, anxiously.

With a heavy sigh, Steve answers. "It was awful."

"Did they sack you?"

"It's worse than that, love. They extended my contract!!"

Comment

I'd missed that Newport fired James Rowberrry a couple of days ago. He was appointed last October and was about a week short of celebrating one year in post.

Comment

I don't know if Exeter's supporters should be proud or relieved or offended that few of these recycled ex-managers are getting linked to our own vacancy, even in the meaningless gossip fillers.

It's like we're at the school dance getting rejected by partners we don't want anyway, but for our self-esteem we'd like to be the ones doing the rejecting.

Comment

Wolves are now in talks with Nuno Espirito Santo to return as manager after being turned down by Julen Lopetegui.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X