Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Still don't know whose manager we're going to steal.
    Exeter's, it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Burnley must have been wearing heavy make-up.
      He made the assumption (like many Solid Football Men did at the time) that the owners were looking for Continuity Dyche. With hindsight, nothing could have been further from the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
        Exeter's, it would seem.
        Just waiting for confirmation. Middlesbrough could have done us all a favour by waiting a day, but as they didn't, the Internet is busy giving Wilder the Rotherham job instead.

Comment

A fairly weird assumption given that they sacked Dyche when all Solid Football Men were of the opinion they shouldn't have done so. That should have provided evidence that the Burnley board did not think the same way that Solid Football Men do. But then Solid Football Men are not know for their ability to think away from their rigid assumptions on How Things Work.

Wilder feels like the current Solid Football Man nonpareil. An Allardyce or Warnock for the current generation.

Comment

Twitter rumour that Boro are going for Rob Edwards.

Comment

Yes, the name popped up very quickly. As did that of Gary O'Neil. Now, O'Neil wasn't popular with the supporters when he played for the club, but since then a video has popped up of him hilariously telling the story that he once deliberately got booked in a game against Bolton towards the end of our relegation season in 2009 so that he could watch the Masters (a golf tournament) on the telly.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                A fairly weird assumption given that they sacked Dyche when all Solid Football Men were of the opinion they shouldn't have done so. That should have provided evidence that the Burnley board did not think the same way that Solid Football Men do. But then Solid Football Men are not know for their ability to think away from their rigid assumptions on How Things Work.

Wilder feels like the current Solid Football Man nonpareil. An Allardyce or Warnock for the current generation.
                Good Wilderball was very different from Solid Football though, and Bad Wilderball, which has been the norm for a little while, was just rubbish.

Comment

Yeah Wilder's preferred playing style isn't at all in the Warnock/Allardyce/Pulis mould. People just assume so because he's a stout, gammony-looking tells-it-like-it-is Yorkshireman

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                    the Internet is busy giving Wilder the Rotherham job instead.
                    He is an ex-player.

Comment

I just noticed that Matt Bloomfield (sometimes known as "Mr Wycombe"), became Colchester's manager last Friday. Slightly surprising to those of us who remember the heated rivalry of the 90s and early 00s, but in truth I think the rivalry has abated in the last 10-15 years.
                      I hope Matt does well.

Comment

Bloomfield is also ex-Ipswich so continues the fairly strong tradition of the U's appointing ex-Town players (Mick Mills, Ian Atkins, George Burley, Steve Whitton, Geraint Williams, Tony Humes, John McGreal, Wayne Brown...). Obviously some of those also switched as players. And now I'm wide awake trying to think of any two other clubs with a greater degree of crossover...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          He is an ex-player.
                          Apparently he also did some work for Hull's owners a while ago, so that's sparked the rumour mill into life out this way, heightened by the report that they're definitely not going for Carlos Carvahal, despite earlier noises to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

Apparently he also did some work for Hull's owners a while ago, so that's sparked the rumour mill into life out this way, heightened by the report that they're definitely not going for Carlos Carvahal, despite earlier noises to that effect.
                            I'm not sure your boyfriend will be terribly enthused about this rumour:

https://twitter.com/MirrorSportIE/status/1577247285251039232

Comment

https://twitter.com/OfficialECFC/status/1577253127891587073

statement from Exeter City

I see Rafa is sniffing around the Forest job. Last week he was linked with Leicester. Really wish he'd just give it a rest, but it upsets Richard Keys and that's fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                I'm not sure your boyfriend will be terribly enthused about this rumour:
                                His response yesterday was "Doesn't strike me as what we need".

Avram Grant's name somehow came up yesterday as well, a definite candidate for a potential "Oh, is he still managing?" thread.

Comment

Bohemians still going with a caretaker manager, nearly a month after parting company with Keith Long. In fairness, we've won three out of four league games in that time, a horrible Cup quarter final defeat to Shelbourne, and a 1.0 defeat away to Derry City, which is as predictable a result as you can get. They'd probably give the job to Derek Pender full time, but he doesn't have the qualifications. Ireland u21 manager Jim Crawford has been mentioned, as his contract is up shortly.

There was a flurry of excitement yesterday, as someone spotted Nigel Clough in Dublin. As I pointed out

1) he's very much employed by Mansfield Town

2) even if he wasn't, I doubt that we could afford him.

3) he's probably here for the Shelbourne v St Patrick's Athletic game, to check on possible signings ,or

4) it wasn't him

Comment

It seems that you're marketable if you've ever coached an EPL club, no matter how shit you were at the job. Maybe soon that will true of the Championship too. Club owners not being arsed to do any homework or diligence.

Comment

With Matt Taylor off to Rotherham, Exeter City will now advertise the manager's job for the first time in 16 years. Not sure how that works these days. Is it still 20p per word in the classifieds? A card at the Job Centre?

The candidates must embrace the spirit of the club, which can be translated as "not to expect any money".

Comment

The East Yorkshire rumour carousel has now alighted on former Olympiakos boss Pedro Martins.

Comment

Somewhat appropriately with Hull Fair opening this weekend, the above-mentioned carousel has moved on again: Hull's talks with Pedro Martins have broken down and they will continue their search elsewhere.

Comment

Nottingham Forest have given Steve Cooper… a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                              I hope they are prepared to back him with signings in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                I salute the club.

Comment

I'm wondering how much influence Cooper had regarding the summer spending spree. You could see a spiv like Harry Redknapp going full on Brewster given half the chance, but Cooper gives me the impression of someone who would keep the core of his promotion squad and only add players who would improve the team in the right positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                    I'm wondering how much influence Cooper had regarding the summer spending spree. You could see a spiv like Harry Redknapp going full on Brewster given half the chance, but Cooper gives me the impression of someone who would keep the core of his promotion squad and only add players who would improve the team in the right positions.

Well, as per a letter in the current issue of WSC from a Forest fan, "Non-Forest fans keep asking me why we bought loads of new players rather than sticking with the ones who got us promoted. It is because we had no choice. Most of the best players from last year were on loan and have moved on, whatever the fans and manager might have wanted."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X