Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Now all the promotion playoffs are complete, we need a new thread for the upcoming season.
    Crawley have just announced Kevin Betsy as their new manager, so that means their time in the Football League began with Evans in charge through to Betsy for the new season.

Cracking thread title. Well done.

Comment

Yes, very well done on the thread title Sean of the Shed

Michael Duff spoke with Barnsley yesterday regarding their vacancy, but apparently Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is still favourite for the job. That doesn't make it at all rosy for Cheltenham though because we have also now received an approach from Blackpool for Duff.

Duff has property in Lancashire and his kids were born there, so it's as logical a move for him as any. I've always been of the belief that the club have irons in the fire for this inevitability. I thought Duff would give us one more season but, given what he's done for the club, I certainly won't begrudge him a move to the league above.

Assuming he doesn't go with Duff, Wade Elliott would be favourite for our hotseat. He's been Duff's right hand man, but apparently only took the job because he wanted to live closer to Bristol.

Comment

Excellent thread title. That's all really.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          Crawley have just announced Kevin Betsy as their new manager, so that means their time in the Football League began with Evans in charge through to Betsy for the new season.
          Given their new ownership, would there be many tears shed if it turned out to be their last season in the league as well? Assuming there's probably going to be too many other rubbish teams for that actually to be the case.

Comment

Gattuso has arrived in Valencia. I give him until November.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              That’s what I was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Ever the optimist. I'm amazed he's already lasted long enough for the ink to dry.

Comment

French media stating that Zidane is now the No 1 managerial target for the PSG board.

Comment

Europa-bound Dundee Utd manager Tam Courts may be Europe-bound as we have given him permission to talk to Rijeka...

Comment

https://twitter.com/JonPalmerSport/status/1536266962816446466

Michael Duff to Barnsley is confirmed.

Comment

I hadn't realized until just now that his namesake was Polish (Ursus may know more about him):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Duff

Comment

I'm currently in a weird state of mind.

I'm gutted he's gone (obviously) but this has been going on for nearly a month now so I'm glad it's over.

I just hope Barnsley don't mess him around. He's got all the tools, but he will need time to bed his philosophies in.

Comment

I'd hope he's been given guarantees about time if not money (which I assume isn't there). Another danger is they go back up but then crash down in an even worse state.

Comment

I know zero about the other Duff, but note that it is a strikingly non-Polish name to pick after fleeing and that Tarnów is an interesting place (though rather less so after the loss of virtually all of its Jewish community.)

Comment

Barnsley are pretty established as a yoyo club like their neighbours Rotherham. I imagine they're determined to break the cycle but not by spending an extra year in division 3. If Duff doesn't take them up at the 1st attempt, will he be given time to instill his own philosophies?

Comment

It depends. If he can add monetary value to our players then he will be in the job for as long as he wants. If he doesn't, then he'll be gone.

Success at Barnsley for the owners is making money. League position doesn't matter.

Comment

Charlton have finally announced the signing of Ben Garner from Swindon, I guess under the theory that if he could get them, with seven players when he signed, into the playoffs, that he could do something comparable at a club with considerably more than seven. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                                      It depends. If he can add monetary value to our players then he will be in the job for as long as he wants. If he doesn't, then he'll be gone.

Success at Barnsley for the owners is making money. League position doesn't matter.
                                      It'll be interesting to see how he does without Mickey Moore as DOF. As good a head coach as Duff is, and obviously I never wanted him to go, scouting and player recruitment was pretty much entirely done by Mickey.

Comment

Blackburn have appointed Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Comment

If I was a Blackburn fan I’d be pretty pleased with this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61795210

Comment

Vincent Kompany finally announced as the new Burnley manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                              Vincent Kompany finally announced as the new Burnley manager.
                                              What do you make of the news?

Comment

Pleased. It's been known for a while but not official.

New division, new manager, new players, new style. Might work, might not, but it's the first time for a while that I'm actually looking forward to a season. Not least because the club is clearly trying to modernise its approach.

Comment

Great appointment for Burnley.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X