No announcement yet.

Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 interesting appointments in East Lancs. Both got good, yet brief, records in management on the continent but can they do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

Comment

Tam Courts gone from Tannadice, mutual consent. Dunno if he is going on a Croatian adventure or just down south.

Jack Ross favourite to replace, which might be OK...

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
        If I was a Blackburn fan I’d be pretty pleased with this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61795210
        As a Rotherham United fan, I was pretty pleased too.

Comment

The weights room at Bloomfield Road will get increased usage as Michael Appleton takes over at Blackpool for a second time.

Comment

Michael Appleton is the new man in at Blackpool.

EDIT: nmrfox beats me to the punch

Comment

Fucking hell, I only just read about that. Genuinely surprised.

Comment

I know a couple of Blackpool fans who are both hugely disappointed at Critchley’s departure (whilst realising that even as Gerrard’s number two he’ll probably be quadrupling his salary) and not massively inspired by Appleton’s return.

Comment

In news that's got me wondering who the most surprising former player to go into management would be, Rosario Central's next match (I think) will be the first match of Carlos Tevez's managerial career.

Comment

I thought at the time that Martín Palermo was an odd one.

Comment

That's a pretty good shout, actually. Although I think Tevez, being a legendarily bad communicator, is going to be a very interesting one to watch.

Comment

If Gattuso can become a successful manager, then so can Tevez

Comment

Cough <WayneRooney> Cough.

Comment

Did Michael Appleton end up being a decent manager or not? Haven't followed him since his quick appointments at and departures from Blackburn/pool, where he was seen as a bright young thing who'd taken impossible jobs at crisis clubs. Always interested me for some reason, maybe because I eat a lot of apples.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkvshandsaw View Post
                              Did Michael Appleton end up being a decent manager or not? Haven't followed him since his quick appointments at and departures from Blackburn/pool, where he was seen as a bright young thing who'd taken impossible jobs at crisis clubs. Always interested me for some reason, maybe because I eat a lot of apples.
                              Jury is still out for me. Oxford fans still give him lots of respect I think. The season before last behind closed doors was an oddity and Lincoln benefitted from not having so many Covid outbreaks as other clubs and I think the salary cap was in force too. We were fortunate to have Brennan Johnson on loan and later Morgan Rogers. Liam Bridcutt was largely fit and Appleton did get the best out of Jorge Grant. We overachieved and subsequently last season was seen as a massive disappointment, but we probably are a lower mid table side.
                              We weren't helped by failure to get some transfer targets in, and the ridiculous amount of injuries, but the style of play was pretty awful. Sideways passing for the sake of it, few chances created or shots on target often. If a team came to Sincil Bank and got an early goal, I think the home fans knew that it would end 1-0. He had his favourites like Chris McGuire who didn't really fit in anywhere. I was surprised we signed him as he didn't exactly fit the model, and even more surprised when he started virtually every game.

Anyway, back to Appleton. We signed a string of players like Zack Elbouzedi, Hakeeb Adelakun, Max Sanders to name three that we expected a lot from. Elbouzedi was an Irish u21 player with incredible pace who basically only played Papa John's games before he was shipped on loan and then released. Adelakun started a few games but got punished for one poor half and then was virtually sidelined forever. Sanders, who we all thought was being lined up as Bridcutt's longtime replacement may have had 2 starts last season?
                              Sean Roughan has just come back from his loan in Ireland but is another young player that supposedly had a lot of interest from PL clubs last summer. He was rumoured to have trials at Southampton and Chelsea, but started just one game I think against Bowers & Pitsea in the FA Cup. He froze Jamie Robson out for the second half of the season, despite him being a far better left back than Cohen Bramall.

I was disappointed that MA left on the last day. Unlike others, I didn't want him out in January/Feb when we were getting increasingly involved in a relegation battle, and I would have liked to had him for one more year at the Bank.

Some section of the fan did not warm to him because he's not a manager that rants and raves at the fourth official or shows that much emotion during the game. City fans still want someone like the Cowleys to give them a fist pump after each win
                              Last edited by RobW; 22-06-2022, 12:23.

Comment

Rooney has left Derby. Surprising in that it took so long. He’ll do well elsewhere given a fair crack and no points deductions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61932150

Comment

Can't knock him for that. He gave that club far more than he needed to or that they probably deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                    Can't knock him for that. He gave that club far more than he needed to or that they probably deserved.
                                    For sure.

Comment

Apparently Cheltenham were set to make a decision today on the new Head Coach with the board down to a final two.

The rumours that one of the two was Wayne Rooney are probably somewhat wide of the mark...

Comment

I should hope so too. I could just about cope with Wayne Rooney's Derby County, but Wayne Rooney's Cheltenham sounds like Cannel 5's celebrity racing coverage.

Comment

It doesn't matter anyway - it's Wade Elliott who will be our new Head Coach:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.u...ichael-7254694

NOTE: Do not click on the link unless you have an ad blocker installed.

Comment

Headlines involving "Elliott" and "Cheltenham" are going to cause me some confusion as a racing fan.
                                            Although Wade might have had more luck training a winner there than Gordon did in March.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CTFCofficial/status/1541345596661022720

Wade Elliott is officially named new head coach at Cheltenham.

Comment

Wade Elliott sounds like the name of a Rugby League coach to me.

Comment

Liam Rosenior appointed as Derby manager. The most frightening aspect of this is that the son of a player I remember well (and who was still playing when I was well into my 20s) is now a manager. Bloody hell. I actually assumed it was Leroy when I first saw the headline out of the corner of my eye.

Comment

Hope he lasts longer than his dad did in his second stint at Torquay.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X