No announcement yet.

Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a single example in UK football of a player who won everything as a player going onto to have a trophy laden career as a manager. Kenny Dalglish maybe is closest and at a time when his greatest teams couldnt play in Europe. It more typically the great managers Busby Clough Ferguson Chapman Revie Shankly Paisley Cullis Ramsey didnt get many medals as players even if far fewer available to pass around.

Comment

George Graham won every major English domestic trophy both as a player and manager. He also won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup as a player and Cup Winners' Cup as manager.

So aside from the European Cup, I'd say he's the best shout, though that is just off the top of my head.

Comment

Latest person to bring his grain to the Hull City rumour mill is former player Liam Rosenior. Let's see how far this one gets.

Comment

So it's hard to see where on earth he ends up now
          A permanent place on the MOTD sofa is his for the taking.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

A permanent place on the MOTD sofa is his for the taking.
            I remember him being bloody awful as a pundit when he tried it,which, considering the competition, is some feat.

Comment

First time that I can remember that west brom, wolves and villa are all looking for new managers at the same time. Another defeat for west brom yesterday highlights the need to get someone in but I have no idea who and have been deliberately avoiding informing myself of the names in the frame as I don't want to depress myself further. One thing's for certain. With or without a manager, we are heading for div three.

Comment

I wonder if it would be easier if all three clubs could just apply for someone collectively, and sort of share them around from week to week...? On the basis that whoever it is was quite likely to end up managing at least two of them at some point anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Depends how you measure glamour but Miami or LA could be attractive as a foreign destination.
                  Ahh, good point. I reckon you could definitely be onto something there.

Comment

Gary Caldwell to Exeter City.

If anyone has anything encouraging to say about him please share. Because most of the opinion out there from his previous jobs seems to be either "bad" or "meh".

Not that any of the other possible options mentioned were too exciting. I suppose there's some relief that we haven't gone for one of those Superstar ex-players, who rock up at lower league clubs for their first job, talk like they're too big for it and then fail 90% of the time.

Comment

There's quite a bit of chat about Wade Elliott being given the push if we don't get positive results from our next two games - the main reason I'm not on board with it is because there does appear to be such a dearth of decent replacements. The fact that the final two in the summer came down to Wade and Matt Taylor (former Portsmouth and Bolton player Matt Taylor, not Exeter's ex-manager), who had one previous managerial spell - a failure at Walsall in League 2, seemed to sum it up.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

If anyone has anything encouraging to say about him please share. Because most of the opinion out there from his previous jobs seems to be either "bad" or "meh".

Not that any of the other possible options mentioned were too exciting. I suppose there's some relief that we haven't gone for one of those Superstar ex-players, who rock up at lower league clubs for their first job, talk like they're too big for it and then fail 90% of the time.
                        I've met him. One of the very, very few people from the world of football that I've spent any time with. He's related by marriage to a friend and pitched up in the pub before a Middlesbrough game not long before the first lockdown. He was pleasant enough company. I can't really add any more than that. Not much help, is it?
                        Last edited by Capybara; 24-10-2022, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46405477.amp

be afraid.

Comment

Michael Carrick new the Boro boss, Woodgate first team coach.

Comment

Boro fans are advised not to read t-rex's post just upthread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                Not even Gary Caldwell's mam thinks he's a superstar

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                  I wonder if it would be easier if all three clubs could just apply for someone collectively, and sort of share them around from week to week...? On the basis that whoever it is was quite likely to end up managing at least two of them at some point anyway.
                                  Appointing a manager just for ourselves has gone pretty badly lately, so why not?

Since the mid-80s, just off the top of my head, I can think of these managers our clubs have had in common ;

Wolves, Villa, Albion ; Brian Little
                                  Wolves and Villa ; Graham Turner, Graham Taylor
                                  Albion and Villa ; Ron Saunders, Roberto Di Matteo, Steve Bruce

But Saunders and Bruce have also managed Birmingham City, who I really feel shouldn't be left out of this scheme. There's also Alex McCleish, who's managed both Blues and Villa.

There'll be more, I'm certain.

Comment

And although Carrick was obviously a top player and won tons of pots, he never seemed like much of a star, did he? Like, he wasn't particularly famous outside of football or had that much glitter in the game? Like if he were to spend the next ten, fifteen, twenty years outside the game (and he still might) and you were reminded of him you'd realise that you had not thought of him for years, but yeah, he was pretty good and won a couple of titles and be a bit shocked when it turned out he had actually won five titles etc.
                                    I mean if you support Man U you might see things differently, but it's weird to think of him as a superstar, although I suppose that's part of the reason we went for him. Perspective of my age, the Riverside Revolution and the times we live in now, but the comparatively potless Bryan Robson felt like a superstar in a way Carrick doesn't.

Comment

Which is arguably why he may have more coaching potential than Keane or Neville - no-one would have considered Ince to have a managerial temperament during his playing days, but he appears to be thriving at Reading, whereas Jaap Stam's coaching career has rather gone into oblivion lately, so there are no clear indicators as to who will have sufficient endurance and people management skills.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

Appointing a manager just for ourselves has gone pretty badly lately, so why not?

Since the mid-80s, just off the top of my head, I can think of these managers our clubs have had in common ;

Wolves, Villa, Albion ; Brian Little
                                        Wolves and Villa ; Graham Turner, Graham Taylor
                                        Albion and Villa ; Ron Saunders, Roberto Di Matteo, Steve Bruce

But Saunders and Bruce have also managed Birmingham City, who I really feel shouldn't be left out of this scheme. There's also Alex McCleish, who's managed both Blues and Villa.

There'll be more, I'm certain.
                                        That's a pretty good start, james. I can't think of any more off the top of my head. What's also incredible is that Allardyce, who was born in Dudley and raised as a Wolves fan, has only managed West Brom out of all the West Midlands clubs and that only happened a couple of years ago.

Anyway, as I said upthread, I haven't depressed myself by scrutinising the runners and riders for the Albion job but I do hear that Carlos Corberan is in advanced talks to join us. A quick check reveals that he is one of those coaches who gave up playing early, at 23, to concentrate on coaching. His coaching career isn't much to brag about but beggars can't be choosers. Basically, at this stage of the season, I am just looking for someone to keep us up.

Comment

I think Carricks a good appointment. His style of play required a bit of thought whereas a lot of yer big name footballers seem to do do what comes naturally on the pitch. I’d prefer the former myself.

Comment

Yeah, I am not exactly excited about it, but it's also true that our novice managers have been our successful managers in the post-86 era and even more so in the PL era. Carrick obviously has some stardust which will likely help with signings, particularly Man U and Mag U ones that are cast-offs. A consequence of the KSA takeover of that lot may likely be more youth players trying their luck with us and youse for a clearer first team path.
                                            I mean, I don't think it's a terrible appointment as such, just that it's impossible to judge. Possibly more that I still have a Wilder hangover, because his first months were some of the best fun at the Riverside for ages even though that had disappeared by the start of this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                              Which is arguably why he may have more coaching potential than Keane or Neville - no-one would have considered Ince to have a managerial temperament during his playing days, but he appears to be thriving at Reading, whereas Jaap Stam's coaching career has rather gone into oblivion lately, so there are no clear indicators as to who will have sufficient endurance and people management skills.
                                              And luck often, particularly in the first tranche of games.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

And luck often, particularly in the first tranche of games.
                                                I’ve long thought a manager with a bit upstairs looks at a potential employers upcoming games as much as he does their squad, war chest etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

That's a pretty good start, james. I can't think of any more off the top of my head. What's also incredible is that Allardyce, who was born in Dudley and raised as a Wolves fan, has only managed West Brom out of all the West Midlands clubs and that only happened a couple of years ago.
                                                  There's also Big Ron, of course. With Albion before my arbitrary mid-80s deadline, but shouldn't have left him out.

Agree about our current needs - someone who could achieve lower mid-table mediocrity this season would do for now. This feels a bit like 87/88 and 90/91 currently, in the sense that so many of the players either aren't up to it or seem disengaged.

On the bright side of that parallel, perhaps Brandon Thomas-Asante could be the current era's Don Goodman. Signed for not much from a northern club, young, a bit raw, fans' favourite.....

Comment

Karl Robinson looking shakier at Oxford.

Firstly oxford having been in or around the playoffs for the past couple of seasons are 19th in th table. There are growing rumblings about his lack of a game plan, his dealings in the transfer market including his refusal to buy fullbacks,hiis freezing out of certain players, and his propensity to give contracts to players who aren't fit. There are also mutterings about the lack of a Director of Football, that a number of coaches have left the club (-including Oxford hero Chrissie Allen), and how Robbie Fowler's son got signed as a youth player

If he loses at Portsmouth tomorrow and Bolton at the weekend he'll be gone.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X