• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Sacked on the way home...".

Comment

“Sacked in the tunnel..”

Comment

I believe the fans were singing "You'll Never Work Again" which I thought was worthy of applause.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
          Gerrard just found out that the time he was allowed to build a team up here in Glasgow is not afforded down South.
          This is exactly what I was saying to my mate last night. The Premiership has no learning curve. You are either a success or not.

I was quite excited when Gerrard joined Villa last year and thought it quite a coup. That we would be able to start attracting a better quality of player etc. However, he seemed to have his favourites - Coutinho, McGinn, Konsa for example, who appeared to be un-droppable. The decision to take the captaincy from Mings and how it was done was poor. And it should never have gone to McGinn. If you were going to take it from Mings, until last night, I would have said give it to Douglas Luiz.

In mitigation, Gerrad can plead the loss of his big summer signings early on. But there just hasn't been any consistency. I'd rather we were consistently bad than sometimes good and sometimes bad.

I didn't know that Beale was the brains of the operation. But ultimately, I haven't really seen any appreciable difference in our performances since he left.

Of the names being bandied about to replace him, the one I haven't seen is Sean Dyche. Thank god. Though that probably means he's a shoe-in...

I hate seeing my club like this.

Comment

Ian Barraclough has been sacked by Northern Ireland.

Comment

I was just about to dig up Dunc's rolling NI thread to mention that...

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                Wolves are now in talks with Nuno Espirito Santo to return as manager after being turned down by Julen Lopetegui.

And they have now announced that Steve Davies will remain in charge until the new year.

They have made a complete hash of this!

Comment

I take it this is a parody account
                  https://twitter.com/AVFCOFFIClAL_/status/1583218221716369408

Comment

Pochettino doesn't want the Villa job apparently.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-10-2022, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
                      I didn't know that Beale was the brains of the operation. But ultimately, I haven't really seen any appreciable difference in our performances since he left.
                      Mick Beale was only at Villa for about six months (from November 2021) so I'm not sure he had much time to influence the culture at the club. More likely he could see which way the wind was blowing and began looking for way out as soon as he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Pochettino doesn't want the Villa job apparently.
                        They generally only fire guys after they crash out of Europe and they are leading their group in the Champions League.

The owners are also very much distracted by their home World Cup.

Comment

Ah, Satchmo edited that twice, and the current version makes my response a non sequitur.

That said, the idea that anyone other than a Steve Bruce type would trade Paris for Brum is striking.

Comment

I think it boils down to Pochettino expecting his next job to be at a club that's likely to be in the CL most years, although he'd also take the Man U job based on its history.

Comment

I enjoyed this tweet earlier today
                              https://twitter.com/paul_c_watson/status/1583384643608645632?t=OgJlHIG59_KpuGutmKSH9Q&s=19

Comment

The conversation with Pochettino would have been much the same.

There is more than a hint of "who else would buy their BMWs?" in the idea that Villa is a destination job for top international managers.

Comment

Meanwhile, Wolves are still looking for a manager after four (?) potential choices have turned them down.

Comment

I, for one, am glad to see the back of Gerrard. After him and Terry, I await to see what other 2000s shitbag the club can find to work at Villa Park.

Comment

I'm just glad the fucker has torpedoed any chance of getting by his "dream job" when the Klopp thing breaks down completely.

Comment

Sometimes if you're a medium fish in a small pool (Gerrard at Rangers) it's better to stay that way than get exposed by the big fish in the EPL. I think he massively underestimated the gulf between the two jobs.

OTOH there seems to be trend for top half Championship clubs to recruit EPL failures for reasons I can't fathom so I won't be susrprised if he rocks up at the next 2nd tier underachievers (the new Steve Bruce in some respects).

Comment

With a capable lieutenant he would probably be a decent replacement for Southgate when he eventually leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                            If you’re sacked at the end of an away game, how do you get home?
                                            Ian Bogie was commuting from his Tyneside home to Stockport when he had the County job; he resigned on the pitch at full-time after defeat at Harrogate so perhaps already being half way home factored into his timing.

Comment

Plenty of coaches have gotten sacked during World Cups and I sometimes wonder how they got home.

Comment

Manchester United had to get Roy Keane home from Saipan.

Comment

Speaking of Manchester United, and per Lang Spoon and Satchmo's comments just up the page, I get the feeling the likes of Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes, Roy Keane and – more contemporaneously – Gary Neville are great exemplars of what could realistically happen with Gerrard now. Great players and legends at club level, but the old caveat that this counts for nothing when you attempt to move into managing (particularly at a 'big club') is in full effect again now with Gerrard.

With the greatest possible respect to the Scottish top flight, achieving success with an Old Firm club really gives very little indication of how someone is going to fare at a medium-to-large English top flight club where the competition is simply so much deeper. I mean, it would quite possibly be funny to see him try to follow in Klopp's footsteps at Anfield, but even allowing for sentiment he's got little more real chance of ending up there than Hughes or Bruce did of succeeding Ferguson at Old Trafford because the biggest clubs will only ever now contemplate the international superstar managers.

And then the next tier down is the couple of clubs like Villa (where's he's just tried and failed), Newcastle (now moneyed up enough to try to go 'elite'), and Everton (where he's surely never going to go). Yet for someone who had such a stellar time of things as a player and presumably harboured ambitions of repeating that as a manager, it's difficult to imagine him swallowing his pride and ego enough to join the merry-go-round shuttling around between The Likes Of™ Stoke, West Brom, Sunderland, Birmingham, Palace, Southampton, QPR, Sheffield Utd and Fulham, more or less for evermore.

So it's hard to see where on earth he ends up now. West Ham? Leeds? Short of going and trying his hand abroad, if a club the size of say Valencia takes a punt on him like they briefly did G Neville, there seems little opportunity for any vaguely 'glamour' moves that would appeal.

Comment

Depends how you measure glamour but Miami or LA could be attractive as a foreign destination.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X