No announcement yet.

Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Brighton might be interested in Cooper, but they've have gone with De Zerbi. I need to get reading about him tonight.
    ​​​​​​
    I agree that getting rid of Cooper would be a bad decision. It seems likely that - WHO FUCKING KNEW - integrating 21 new players into an entirely new squad in the Premier League might take a while (and might yet prove impossible, though it's still a touch early to say definitively).

If that is the problem, then Cooper is the exactly the guy you'd hire to get them into some coherent shape, because that's what he did at Forest when he first arrived there. I saw them early last season under Hughton and hoooooo boy, they were dogshit.

Considering everything, they're almost kinda there. They click in patches, and when they are on the front foot they look decent. But they're missing that coordination you need. The final ball ain't quite right. The cross doesn't clear the first man. The shape gets a little ragged. It's slightly dishevelled, but in important ways.

Same goes at the back. A defence is a unit, and knowing each others foibles, weaknesses and strengths isn't something that can be built by just chucking a bunch of defenders and a goalkeeper together. They're a team within a team, and it's all the more complicated these days, with wing-backs ahd all. It's possible to happen quickly, but it is a crapshoot; it's far from guaranteed. And when you've gone from a 46 game season to a 38 game season, you've lost a margin for error that you're used to.

So yeah, I'm not surprised to see them struggling early on. You'd expect them to improve but they need a good coach and man-manager to stop any progress being nullified by the players' heads going if the losses continue to stack up. And Marinakis has reputation for possession of an itchy trigger finger.

But if ever there was situation that would require patience and giving the manager more time, it should be this.
    Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 19-09-2022, 17:53.

Comment

Might just be me but I get proper Bond villain vibes off Marinakis. But not ex-KGB or Spectre villain vibes. One of the discount players from the second string movies.

Comment

He was acquitted of blowing up an uncooperative referee's bakery. He's got a touch of the Teflon about him, if you read up on his past. A proper Macavity's Cat.

Comment

This might not be quite the right place for this, but I'm not sure it warrants a separate thread. I'm biased of course, but I have to say that Mick Beale is the most articulate, informative and, perhaps, most intelligent manager I've heard in all my footballing years. Whether he's successful or not is another matter. His post-match pressers, however, are a real education. Here he is on Saturday's 0–0 draw with Stoke:

Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 19-09-2022, 18:58.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
            He was acquitted of blowing up an uncooperative referee's bakery.
            Seems about the right level of villainy for a late 70s Roger Moore Bond flick.

Comment

Sounds more like Wallace and Gromit in A Matter of Loaf and Death.

Comment

https://newrepublic.com/article/1592...uption-scandal

Here's a story about Greece, shipping and tonnes and tonnes of heroin. It's long but it's a real ripping yarn

Comment

Two sackings by League Two strugglers on Sunday - Hartlepool got rid of Paul Hartley and have brought in Keith Curle as interim, while Colchester sacked Wayne Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    This might not be quite the right place for this, but I'm not sure it warrants a separate thread. I'm biased of course, but I have to say that Mick Beale is the most articulate, informative and, perhaps, most intelligent manager I've heard in all my footballing years. Whether he's successful or not is another matter. His post-match pressers, however, are a real education. Here he is on Saturday's 0–0 draw with Stoke:

Yes, very fluent and honest.

Comment

David Unsworth in to replace John Sheridan at Oldham. He’s been very highly regarded as a youth/development coach at Everton for a long time so it’s a surprise to see him take his first full plunge (aside from a couple of short term caretaker jobs) into management at 48. Good guy, apparently, so hope it goes well.

Comment

Gangster Octopus alert - Warne being lined up for the Derby job.

Comment

I'd heard that earlier today. I must dig up an old thread...

Comment

Wilder being linked with Bournemouth apparently.

Comment

Still don't know whose manager we're going to steal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                https://newrepublic.com/article/1592...uption-scandal

Here's a story about Greece, shipping and tonnes and tonnes of heroin. It's long but it's a real ripping yarn
                                Great article Berba. Scary though.

Comment

That whole "perhaps Watford are trying a new strategy with their employment of that young bloke from Forest Green" thing? Yeah, they've sacked him already

Comment

I am shocked - SHOCKED!!!

Comment

Replaced by Slaven Bilic.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        That whole "perhaps Watford are trying a new strategy with their employment of that young bloke from Forest Green" thing? Yeah, they've sacked him already
                                        11 games he was given. Ridiculous,

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          Still don't know whose manager we're going to steal.
                                          There's this young guy who used to be at Forest Green, he's available...

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

11 games he was given. Ridiculous,
                                            He must have known this was likely. As a career move it probably makes sense.

Comment

I wrote a 'they're going to sack him, aren't they?' thing at the end of last week and got a bit of blowback over that, though to be fair one if them did come back today and acknowledge that he'd called it badly.

Comment

http://twitter.com/OFalafel/status/1574382386971811840

Comment

New boss in Huddersfield - Mark Fotheringham: Huddersfield Town name former Hertha Berlin assistant as boss - BBC Sport

Comment

Lots of rumours and speculation that Rotherham have made an offer to Mark Bonner - Cambridge fans holding their breath.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X