X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks a bit Rothko in places :

​​​​​​​

Comment

It's supposed to be the stadium, which is ten years old.

Comment

Having said that, I can't really see it myself.

Comment

Colourblind, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
            What is it, EIM ?
            It's a contraction of t-shirt and jersey, I think.

Comment

Correct
              It is hideous, thus the scare quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                That's interesting to note about the "shirsey" concept. I actually saw that over here for the first time just the other week, in the official shop at Wembley where they sell such things – plain white or blue cotton t-shirts with the England badge and a front-of-shirt small number on the front, and a player name and number on the back (yours for just £28).

While checking the site just now, I see that the FA are also doing the player/replica split – you can buy the "stadium shirt" (i.e. replica) for £75, and the "vapour match shirt" for £115. Not sure what a "vapour match" is, sounds to me like they're just blowing smoke.
                Many years ago I went down this route. The local JJB (I think) were doing a special offer. They had a load of red t-shirts with the FA logo on, and they had a large collection of soon to be out of date numbers and letters for the official England jerseys, so I got my name and 14 on the back. Think it was £10 or £15 all in. Still got it somewhere buried at the back of a wardrobe I reckon.

I never normally bothered buying England jerseys except once, pre World Cup 2006. So this seemed like a bit of a coup. Up the shirseys!
                Last edited by Harbinger of Hope; 27-05-2022, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

It's a contraction of t-shirt and jersey, I think.
                  I don't really know what jersey means, mind. But yes, it's terrible.

Comment

A large majority of USians would call a football shirt a jersey. As they would the playing garment worn above the waist in baseball, gridiron, basketball, ice hockey and a host of other sports.

Though Canadians and US traditionalists are more likely to call the ice hockey garment a sweater

Comment

So...how do you cross a football shirt with a t-shirt?

Comment

You take the badge, the manufacturer's logo, the sponsor, and you put them on a t-shirt.

Comment

You don't. It's a crime against humanity

Comment

You take the badge, the manufacturer's logo, the sponsor, and you put them on a t-shirt.
                            Fuck off. Why?

Comment

Capitalism

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Looks a bit Rothko in places :

​​​​​​​
                                The combination of the names Rotherham and Rothko here is very pleasing to me, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                                  Thank you. I'm a long-time lurker, with very little of actual interest to contribute. I can't even pick a biscuit. What a failure of a human being.
                                  Ah, come now young pup, have you been for a wander around the farther corners of the boards? There's threads on podcasts, pets, ships, Wordle, film clichés, soul classics, you name it. Bound to be something where you can weigh in knowledgeably, or at least make a good impression of doing so.

And I don't think anybody else is going to want the pink wafers, so you're welcome to those.

Comment

I think the idea actually is not to have all of those elements – as UA noted upthread when introducing the concept, they were invented to offer something cheap that looked vaguely like a shirt but different enough that it wouldn't stop too many people shelling out top dollar for the proper (replica) kits. The England ones, for example, just have the badge and player name/number, so there's less direct comparison with the sportswear brand's big products.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      A large majority of USians would call a football shirt a jersey. As they would the playing garment worn above the waist in baseball, gridiron, basketball, ice hockey and a host of other sports.

Though Canadians and US traditionalists are more likely to call the ice hockey garment a sweater
                                      I could be wrong but isn't 'jersey' still quite commonly used in Scotland and Ireland for football? It's not exactly an unheard of term in England either I'd say (although I did grow up with an Irish father so that could have skewed my experience of it).

It's when Australians start talking about 'guernseys' that it all gets really confusing...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        Red body, white sleeves - job done.... but a few things niggle me about this photo.

To my eyes, the black/navy trim makes it look like something York City would wear twice a decade. Why is there a cartoon cat about to crawl along the bottom of the photo? Is that for Puma or is 'Millers' not a good enough nickname now and Rotherham are trying to push something different?
                                        Finally, what on Earth is poking out of the neck? A hidden snood? A backwards shirt collar? And why is the '10' partially hidden?

It gets stranger and stranger.

Comment

"Primary" shirt, not "Home" shirt. Interesting phrasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

I think the idea actually is not to have all of those elements – as UA noted upthread when introducing the concept, they were invented to offer something cheap that looked vaguely like a shirt but different enough that it wouldn't stop too many people shelling out top dollar for the proper (replica) kits. The England ones, for example, just have the badge and player name/number, so there's less direct comparison with the sportswear brand's big products.

I've seen both.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Capitalism
                                              It's so shit, isn't it?

Comment

I've seen both.
                                                Still no manufacturer logo on that one though, which I think is probably their key consideration (though I see there is on the Yankees one UA posted).

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                  And I don't think anybody else is going to want the pink wafers, so you're welcome to those.
                                                  Depends what they're up against, tbh. They shit all over bourbons, for example. Also, they are great for dunking, but you have to get it right.

Comment

I assumed the lady in the picture wasn't a player (and that those aren't regulation shorts) and clicked on the link to discover she's a diver whose first name is Coral. Now wondering if there's a case for her going on the Nominative Determinism thread...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X