Strip Search - Kit Gallery 22/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Can someone help with a discussion a mate and I are having - is there a major club in Europe whose traditional first kit colours are red with yellow trim (as opposed to those who have stripes or some other relatively equal mix of red & yellow)?
    Depends how red you consider Roma's main colour to be.

Otherwise I'm drawing a blank; just North Macedonia if I ignore your club criteria

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Are you excluding Roma as being either (or both) not red or not yellow?

Messina are a contender, though they have used chevrons and a single hoop in recent seasons.
      I was discounting Roma but you may be on to it with Messina.

Comment

Neither European nor current but check out the Jacksonville Tea Men kit from the 1980s.

Comment

Liverpool presumably don't meet the 'traditional' criterion owing to using white at least as often as yellow?

Comment

The answer is pretty much 'no' based on trawling through the Subbuteo archives. There are a few French and Italian teams who get close, like Lecce, Martigues, Oréans and Le Mans but they are as likely to have stripes as a red shirt with yellow trim.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
              Neither European nor current but check out the Jacksonville Tea Men kit from the 1980s.
              This is a good call, especially as they abandoned the Talbotastic contrasting colour "T" design on the front they used in New England in favour of this

Comment

The answer, of course, is Melchester Rovers. Who's colours were chosen precisely because there were then (1954) no senior clubs in the UK wearing red and yellow, and still aren't.

Comment

Yes, a Melchester reference (regarding a friend's new "World Cup trainers", despite the fact Wales have dropped the yellow trim) is what prompted the discussion.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-10-2022, 05:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    Who's colours were chosen precisely because there were then (1954) no senior clubs in the UK wearing red and yellow, and still aren't.
                    Er, Partick Thistle want a word.

Comment

Oo are dey?

Comment

Would that make Gloucester City the most senior club in England to wear red with yellow trim?

Comment

It may be my eyesight, but that doesn't look like red and yellow to me. Varying shades of orange? I'd say vermillion and apricot.

Comment

It isn't your eyesight

Comment

In other kit-related news, the FAI recently terminated their relationship with kit-suppliers JACC, who had provided them with Umbro kit since 1994. Unfortunately, they also acted as suppliers to numerous League of Ireland clubs, who are now in a quandary after the company then went into liquidation.

Comment

I thought Gloucester City wore yellow and black, so this is all news to me. Did they change their colours when they moved into their new ground or something?

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                                  It may be my eyesight, but that doesn't look like red and yellow to me. Varying shades of orange? I'd say vermillion and apricot.
                                  I think it was the lighting:

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                    I thought Gloucester City wore yellow and black, so this is all news to me. Did they change their colours when they moved into their new ground or something?
                                    Their chairman/owner changed them when he took over a year or so before moving into the ground. There's still a few very unhappy with the change, especially as he did it without any consultation.

His argument is that they originally wore red and white (like the rugby team) and only changed to yellow and black when they were owned by Westbury Homes - they who moved the club to Meadow Park from Horton Road (if I recall correctly, they bought the club in order to build homes on the site of the ground - the streets around that way are named after ex-Gloucester players). So his argument was that he was going back to their traditional main colour, using the yellow from the past 30 years or so.

Anyone who criticised it was jumped on - oddly they're still known as The Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                      Would that make Gloucester City the most senior club in England to wear red with yellow trim?
                                      It would largely depend on where they are in the table as Banbury United, also of the National North, are red with yellow trim as well

Comment

Gloucester are currently 5th.

Banbury are 8th, two points behind but with a game in hand so it's a very tight call.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                          In other kit-related news, the FAI recently terminated their relationship with kit-suppliers JACC, who had provided them with Umbro kit since 1994. Unfortunately, they also acted as suppliers to numerous League of Ireland clubs, who are now in a quandary after the company then went into liquidation.
                                          Thankfully, we got burned by Umbro Ireland in the past. We now have a very positive relationship with O'Neills, who'll probably hoover up the rest. Main problem is having no new kit for the Christmas market .

Comment

Ah, of course. Should have remembered. Especially in the first edition of Tiger the Melchester kit was red and yellow hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I think it was the lighting:
                                              I'm still not convinced. I've trawled (well had a quick look on) the net, even demeaning myself to checking on Gloucester's website, and while the 'red' looks redder in some pictures than others, I'm definitely sticking with apricot rather than yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                                                That's not a shirt colour; that's a Yankee Candle aroma

Comment

Coquelicot is my fallback pretentious word for a shade of orangey-red.

Comment

So do the wee Rovers. Not sure whether I like this or not. The sponsor's logo, while for a laudable cause, clashes madly. Adding black to the mix makes it look more like a Partick kit...?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X