Clear All

PM for Sam

Comment

Re: Peru's comeback attempt from 0:8

"That may be enough to swing the momennum"

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
        PM for Sam
        Replied! And in so doing I also saw I'd not replied to a PM Discordant Resonance sent me last year, so have corrected that error. Thanks for the prompt, jefe.

Comment

I meant to post this earlier but kept spacing out. VIX is Univision's new online streaming service in partnership with Televisa. The service is currently free, but headed for a Vix+ pay option. Anyway, they have shared rights for the following leagues related to this thread: Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, and Peru. And most relevant is the second leg of the Colombia final between Deportes Tolima and Atletico Nacional. Atl Nacional enters the game with a 3-1 aggregate lead. If this was Peru I could say we'd be guaranteed that this game would also end 3-1 but I expect Atletico Nacional will win. Anyway, it's nice to finally see Colombia games in HD since the other satellite/cable and streaming options had all been SD.

I assume the US crew knows that Paramount+ has English rights for Argentina and Brazil.

Comment

Televisa and Univision are now the same company (named TelevisaUnivision)
            ​​​​​

Comment

Watching the knockouts of the Sudamericana, Internacional away to Melgar in Peru, Melgar basically did everything except score in the first half, then after starting well in the second, eased up a bit and it looked like Internacional were going to start to turn the tide until they had a player sent off. Into the last twenty minutes now.

Comment

Now onto Paranaense at home to Estudiantes in the Libertadores after Melgar couldn't make their advantage count. Estudiantes had a bullet header very well-saved off of a corner and then the only other real passage of note was the ref giving a penalty for a handball, then consulting VAR, then reversing the decision, even though it seemed like the defender's arm started out away from his body -- I can only guess that the reasoning was that he was moving it to get it out of the way and that the ball was hit at him from such close range that he couldn't have reasonably avoided it. The most entertaining aspect of the game for me is that the Estudiantes manager, Ricardo Zielinski, looks like he just woke up from a three-day bender. A cursory image search indicates that this is his usual appearance.

Comment

Given that Zielinski and I share an ethnic heritage, it is quite possible that he has been on a three day bender

Estudiantes are his eighteenth club

One of his previous stops was the immortal

Last edited by ursus arctos; 05-08-2022, 01:32.

Comment

Fernandinho (yes, him) has won MotM, which hasn't been much of a spectacle, as one might expect from a Big Phil team playing against what seems to be a very representative Argentine side.

Comment

Not exactly a goalfest tonight, was it?

Did you get to watch Flamengo's win at Corinthians? It was alarmingly easy for them.

Comment

No, these were actually the first men's games I'd watched in around two months.

And double nil-nils, not a night for the casual fan, although Melgar should have had at least one, probably more.

Comment

The one to watch was the all-Argentine match on Wednesday night. Specifically the last twenty or so minutes of it, which is when four of the five goals were scored and happens to be exactly the portion of it that I turned the TV on for. Vélez 3–2 Talleres after the first leg, with two goals from Lucas Janson, and beautifully set up for the second leg in Córdoba next week.

Comment

Oh and yes, Ricardo Zielinski does always look like that.

Comment

One Argentinian and three Brazilian teams make the semi-finals.

Flamengo completed a comfortable victory over Corinthians, Velez overcame Talleres and Palmeiras yet again beat Atlético Mineiro, this time after a goalless draw on penalties having gone down to 9 men.

Last night, Big Phil did it again. His Athletico side, having been under the cosh for just about the whole match, would have been grateful to take it to penalties but they won it in the 96th minute thanks to a brave header by the brilliant 17 year old, Vitor Roque.

The match turned on this controversial disallowed goal for Estudiantes in the 63rd minute. I thought it was a really harsh decision. What do you reckon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omiSXErZe8

Comment

Personally I'd say the goalkeeper could see the ball when the shot was hit and wasn't being blocked from getting along his line to tip it away. On that basis, I'd have let it stand I think, but I'd be interested in whether any our tamed referees (paging imp and Bermuda Iron) would have let it stand or disallowed it.

As for the rest of the game, Estudiantes weren't so much robbed as wandered of their own volition down a dark alley with their wallets already in hand to show to the wallet inspector. The number of chances they missed ...

Comment

Close call, but definitely a good case for disallowing it. Arguably a distraction and even a hindrance of the keeper.

Comment

Need to consider whether the player in the offside position hindered the keeper being able to see the flight of the ball and/or impacted his ability to move and make an attempt to save. Definitely a very tight call. The player was inside the line of the ball and therefore more likely to have an impact on the keeper. However, would the keeper have been able to make a save if the player hadn’t been there? I could make a case for both decisions.

Comment

A biggish shock as Athletico Paranaense reach the final with a 2-2 draw at Palmeiras giving them a 3-2 win on aggregate. Palmeiras had levelled the score on aggregate through Forest-bound Gustavo Scarpa but Murilo was sent off for a knee-high tackle on Vitor Roque. Even so, Gustavo Gomez put them ahead before Athletico won it through Pablo and a deflected shot by David Terans.

So Felipe Scolari, in what could be his final season, makes it to the Libertadores final. I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that they will meet Flamengo in the final after their second leg against Velez tonight.

Comment

I saw all four semi final games via BBC iplayer, presumably the final will be televised live by them too. A bit of a wait until the end of October but this could be quite a tight game. From my point of view it’s great to see Fernandinho enjoying such a successful return to Athletico Paranaense.

Comment

Working...
                                        X