Wigan at the Rocks - Matchgoing 28/01-03/02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wigan at the Rocks - Matchgoing 28/01-03/02

Two games for me this weekend as my u11s travel to Evesham United Robins on Saturday morning and then top of the table Wigan travel to Whaddon Road to take on a Cheltenham team that haven't won since November.

I'm hopeful of a win in the first game and hoping that the Wiganers don't hand out too big of a pasting to my Robins.

What is "the Rocks'?

I'm seeing Wimbledon v Shrewsbury tomorrow and then back to Plough Lane again for the visit of your own Cheltenham on Tuesday.

After no Dons games for seven weeks I will have seen them five times in seventeen days.

It would be nice to see the first goal in that run at least but an actual win, or even two, is desperately needed.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-01-2022, 12:04.

Comment

It's part of the sponsor name of Whaddon Road - the Johnny Rocks stadium

Comment

I'm hoping to be in Gloucestershire tomorrow as well watching Longlevens play Bishops Cleeve. It's an opportunity to watch my wife's cousin's stepson play for Bishops Cleeve and also meet up with the wife's family.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
          It's part of the sponsor name of Whaddon Road - the Johnny Rocks stadium
          Oh dear, should we really encourage that kind of thing by adopting the terrible sponsored names?

Comment

It was the first thing I could think of - tbh I've never called it the Johnny Rocks or any sponsor name since the first one about 10/11 years ago. It'll always be Whaddon Road.

Comment

Lincoln v Burton for me tomorrow.

Comment

Linlithgow Rose v Camelon. First visit to LRs ground so looking forward to this.

Comment

Kindof mirroring RdG, after a few weeks off I'll be watching 4 of Carlisle's next 5 fixtures, starting tomorrow (v. Sutton Utd) with a first trip up the M6 to Brunton Park since mid-November. On Tuesday I plan to be at Salford away, new ground tick after Covid denied me the opportunity last season, and indeed on the scheduled December date this season.

Comment

I'm currently hoping to be at both Wimbledon games in the period, as outlined by RdG above. Missed both games last week (at ?Burton, and at home to Ipswich) because of my rotten bloody cold, but fingers crossed I'm fighting fit for the coming week.

Hoping for some transfer news before the game.

Comment

In a similar vein, I'm missing the top of the table clash with FGR tomorrow but should be at the Stevenage game on Tuesday, and the 4 games after that. Good for my heart to miss games with Forest Green anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        I'm hoping to be in Gloucestershire tomorrow as well watching Longlevens play Bishops Cleeve. It's an opportunity to watch my wife's cousin's stepson play for Bishops Cleeve and also meet up with the wife's family.
                        Make sure you avoid parking in the hotel car park - you will get a ticket if you do. Also pay attention when you walk in and don't trample all over the daffodils the club staff had kindly planted. As you can tell I had an awful time when I visited.

Bishops Cleeve going well and looking for promotion. It's a 4th vs 1st clash so should be a good one!

Comment

mirko bolesan cheers. I've already been warned about the hotel car park

Comment

Been a long time since I've been to Barnwood, but there used to be plenty of street parking around.

Comment

Kendal Town v Leek Town.

Kendal, in the relegation zone ten points adrift from safety and having just been dumped by their third manager of the season (seriously, none sacked) take on a top four team. Without their suspended captain too.

The ultimate ‘badge of honour’ fixture. I’m fully expecting a dismal game in awful weather culminating in a real thrashing.

Comment

I'm going to watch Owls v Reserve Black Lions, or rather Tecos v Leone's Negro's B, or rather, Universidade Autonoma de Guadalajra v Universidade dev Guadalajra B.

It's tonight at 7pm in Estadio 3rd March, which I have still yet to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                  Been a long time since I've been to Barnwood, but there used to be plenty of street parking around.
                                  It's at Saw Mills just off the Walls roundabout. It looks like it's on an industrial estate behind the Ibis hotel. Anyway I'm hoping to have some local guides in terms of the in laws.

Comment

Nothing for me this weekend as I'm off up to Wilmslow to see friends. Tuesday I'm thinking of going to Chalfont St Peter v Uxbridge.

Comment

Dublin v Armagh in the opening game of the Gaelic Football league, it's part of a double header with Dublin v Wexford in the Walsh Cup hurling, but I may give that a miss, 3 hours on a January night is a bit much.

Comment

Middlesbrough v Coventry City tomorrow. I'm doing other things on Tuesday and Wednesday so not looking like I'll get to anything midweek.

Comment

I was going to do a couple of games in Manchester tomorrow, but can't be bothered with the rail replacement bus to Wigan. Instead I'm going to go up to Penrith to watch Wetheriggs v Ullswater.

Comment

Hobson's choice for me. The girl has a final rehearsal at lunchtime for a play she's in next weekend and then has a party at 4.50. I mean FFS, who arranges kids' parties for 4.50 on a Saturday? So it's a 30 minute cycle down the Bridgewater Canal for 3rd vs 5th in the Cheshire League, Broadheath Central v Lostock Gralam on a field with a bit of railing around it.

Comment

Wimbledon v Shrewsbury

Wimbledon have sold Olly Palmer and we haven't scored in 3 league games. However, we've only lost once in seven games.

So, fuck knows how this will turn out.

Anyway, on to more important things.

We're getting off the Tube at Tooting Broadway, and a quick Google search brings up a few pubs.

'The Castle' opposite the tube station gets good reviews.

Do any of the Dons contingent on here use it, or recommend it (or anybody else from down the 'smoke' for that matter).

If not any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Comment

Bolton v Sunderland tomorrow. They're bringing their usual huge following which should make for a great atmosphere, providing we can give them a game. Lately, we've tended to choke in front of a large crowd.

Comment

My match of the week is Ilkeston Town v Halesowen Town which should attract a bumper crowd to the New Manor Ground. It's the meeting of the top two in the Northern Premier League Midlands and they have identical W18 D3 L3 records with Ilkeston just ahead on goal difference.

On Sunday, it's a first visit of the season to Derby to make a small contribution to their HMRC bill and see them against Birmingham.

In midweek, I'm plumbing the depths of the 10th tier. On Tuesday, Teversal (bottom of NCEL Div 1 and just one win all season) face Rossington Main and on Wednesday, if I can be bothered, Graham St Prims (adrift in the relegation zone of the UCL Div 1) take on Clifton All Whites.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X