No announcement yet.

African Cup Of Nations 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two in as many minutes give the hosts a 3-1 lead. Somehow Aboubakar has four goals in this tournament - ie, 25% of all goals scored.

‘Scenes’, or something.

Comment

I've just switched on so expect no more goals

Comment

Happily I was wrong

Comment

Burkina Faso decide to join in the jollity with a first-half ‘strike’ against Cape Verde - if you can call an off-the-shoulder number that.

Comment

With no further goals since I last posted, I was rather assuming that the tournament was resorting to type. Malawi and Zimbabwe have given us a couple of nicely-taken first-half efforts this afternoon, however…

…and now Malawi lead 2-1 with another decent finish.

(I gather that Morocco also have a goal vs Comoros in a game I was unaware was happening.)
            Last edited by Jah Womble; 14-01-2022, 17:17.

Comment

2.0 to Morocco, should have had more, some great saves and blocks by the Comoros keeper and defenders kept the score down

Comment

I see the 2002 tournament was referenced up thread. I remember that one - there were comments about things starting slowly but then picking up. Except it never did, just dull and negative from start to finish. That event got the final it deserved - a nil-nil draw after extra time followed by a penalty shoot-out replete with misses.

Comment

Handbags at the end of the Ghana v Gabon match after Gabon had tied it up in the 88." Could, and probably should, be several cards handed out, especially to some of the Ghanaian players and their coach.

Comment

Tetteh got a red

Comment

My feed ended before I saw that. It could certainly have got ugly. I understand why Ghana would be frustrated. But, even though player for player they were superior, they just couldn't put the game away.

Comment

I could understand that Ayew and co might be angry with themselves for not putting that game to bed, but not quite sure why they were so worked-up with Gabon/the officials - another timing issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          and now Malawi lead 2-1 with another decent finish
                          The Flames are back

Comment

I see that the numbers of goals are going up, now that the players have had more than two days together. to train and get used to each other. It's not really correct to compare this to tournaments like the world cup, or the european championships, where teams get together at the end of the season, to play a tournament generally at the height of summer, and have two weeks to prepare. This is a tournament in the middle of the season, leaving players less exhausted, being played in lovely conditions of moderate heat, and low humidity.and the teams have had essentially no time to prepare. It's kind of the perfect recipe for a tournament dominated by players being able to get behind the ball, because that's all you can organise in that time frame. It's also aided by everyone being able to run back every time, and it means that the tournament is left looking a bit Italia 90, particularly since the attackers lack the familiarity with each other and consequently the sharpness as a unit, to overcome packed defences. So you're left either looking for a penalty, or a brilliant low probability finish And that's kind of what you got. The goals you get from periods of organised attacking are missing.

Comment

Gambia in a perpetual rearguard action in this game.

The dancing in the stands is on point. The crowd noise is incredible.

Comment

What a clearance off the line, thought we were finally going to see a goal.

Comment

Ah shit. VAR penalty for Mali.

Comment

Scored. Arsebiscuits.

Comment

Tbh it has all been one way in this game.

Comment

I can't believe the Mali coach is wearing a vest under his shirt. No wonder he's sweating.

Comment

Ooh penalty shout for Gambia.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                                            I can't believe the Mali coach is wearing a vest under his shirt. No wonder he's sweating.
                                            I thought that. His shirt has gone see-through.

Comment

YES!

Comment

GET THE FUCK IN!

Comment

Do Gambia have the flaggiest kit in the tournament?

Comment

Well, I didn't see that coming. VAR again; one of those handballs in the box where the defender has little chance of getting his arm out of the way, but it was always going to be given.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X