Phil Dwyer 1953 - 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil Dwyer 1953 - 2021

I'm not sure this will mean much to anyone else but my earliest footballing hero died yesterday aged 68. Phil holds the record for most appearances for Cardiff, playing for them 575 times between 1972 and 1985. He also won ten Welsh caps in 1978 and 1979.

That all means, of course, that he proudly wore the two finest football kits ever and is inextricably linked with the Cardiff one for me.

https://twitter.com/threebluebirds_/status/1465810991409766405?s=21

More sad news, we seem to be losing players from the seventies thick and fast lately. I find this trend all the more disturbing when I stop to consider that they're mostly 10-15 years older than I am.

Comment

They really are 2 brilliant kits those aren't they? I had the Welsh one which was heavily promoted by Admiral. Was the Cardiff one available at the time too I wonder.

My main memory of Dwyer was a cup tie v Arsenal? Where to my young mind he seemed to terrify them.
      RIP

Comment

Quite apart from the kits - which weren't really all that at all - I'm surprised he only got ten caps as a Welsh centre-half when Wales were shit. It was always "'Big' Phil Dwyer", the 'Big' of which usually qualified you as an international.

Comment

There's a story behind that, it's mentioned in his book but this is wiki's précis ;

his final appearance for Wales on 17 October 1979 in a 5–1 defeat to West Germany. Dwyer was involved in a physical altercation with a reporter after the match and, despite playing in 10 of Wales' 13 matches between April 1978 and October 1979, he never played for his country again

Comment

He’s one of the few Cardiff regulars I remember seeing during my student days there, when I’d sometimes pop along to catch a game from The Bob Bank (82-85). Probably stood out as the “enforcer” character in the team.

Comment

I think that it says something about your nascent interest in commentary, Ray, that you had Dwyer as a hero from those early visits to Ninian Park. All I can remember is us playing, I think, Sheffield Wednesday and it kicking off at one end. In my memory, the Grandstand didn't have a roof which, of course, was completely wrong. I don't remember any of the players.

Comment

I got a bit of a shock seeing this thread title, because Phil Dwyer is a very common tipperary name, and I was wondering which of the three people with that name that I know personally had died, and why was it in onetouchfootball.

Comment

Working...
                X