One-sided valleys - matchgoing 26 November - 2 December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One-sided valleys - matchgoing 26 November - 2 December

Assuming the weather doesn't scupper the match I'm heading down the Conwy Valley on Saturday for what looks set up to be one of the most one-sided league games I've ever seen. Betws-y-Coed are bottom of the North Wales Coast East League Division One (fifth tier) having lost all 16 matches so far and conceded 127 goals. They're at home to Llanelwy (St Asaph in English) Athletic who, though not top, have the division's best record having won 11 of their 12 matches so far.

I'm expecting double figures.

Back to Plough Lane on Saturday. We're at home to Fleetwood, who have been shit for a while. They sacked their manager (cue loads of silly "new manager bounce" whining) and have Interim Head Coach Stephen Crainey in charge for now. We should beat them, they're rubbish.

I don't know what's happening with Ayoub Assal's red card from Tuesday, but if we've appealed then he will be available. Which is good, cos he's great.
    Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 25-11-2021, 17:00.

Comment

I'm going to Brentford v Everton on Sunday.

Comment

The elder Roginette was probably conceived in Betws-y-Coed. From the sounds of it she could only improve the team, despite being 5 foot 2 and about 7 stone in a heavy overcoat.
        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 25-11-2021, 18:10.

Comment

As I've been rabbiting on about on other threads, Sunday is the FAI Cup final. With 35,000 tickets sold, it's undoubtedly the largest crowd I've ever seen us play in front. No real nerves at the moment, but I can imagine what I'm going to be like by 4pm Sunday.

Comment

Good luck for that, elguapo.

I'm at Wimbledon v Fleetwood on Saturday too, my first Dons game with my boy since the Arsenal League Cup match in late September. Given their struggles to put Crewe away on Tuesday I'm not entirely confident.

No match on Tuesday as my younger daughter and I are taking my mother-in-law to the ENO's new production of H.M.S. Pinafore and the rest of the week is full of other things as is usually the case with December.

Comment

Oxford United v Rotherham United for me. Do any of our Oxford based posters know if the fast buses still run from Hillingdon to Oxford?

Comment

Might go to Parkgate v FC Humber United, though that's been complicated a bit by a bus strike. Will see at lunchtime what's survived the storm.

Next Thursday I'm going to the UK Championship snooker in York, finally getting to use the tickets I bought on the day of the last general election.

Comment

The vagaries of the November fixture list have restricted me to two games a week so far this month but this should be a bumper week.

On Friday, I'll take advantage of Kennington's ground share with Ashford United as their match with K Sports has been brought forward. This is because Ashford are at home to VCD on Saturday but for a bit of variety I might do Folkestone v Bishops Stortford instead or, further afield, a new tick at Ramsgate v Cray Valley.

Brentford v Everton is of course the main event of the weekend on Sunday.

Another possible new ground on Tuesday at Tonbridge Angels as I'd like to see if St Albans are as good as they looked on the TV in the Cup.

Then just about squeezing in to the time limits of this thread it's Tottenham V Brentford on Thursday night. Yes, Thursday night. It's being shown on Amazon or something.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                    it's Tottenham V Brentford on Thursday night. Yes, Thursday night. It's being shown on Amazon or something.
                    Man Utd - Arsenal is on the same day.

Comment

There's a mid-week programme of games in the PL next week, with two on the Tuesday and Thursday and six in between.

Comment

Nathanael MG Cup (aka Welsh League Cup) semi-final on Saturday. Cardiff Metropolitan University v Barry Town United. Up at the soulless stadium in Cyncoed on top of a hill. It will be fucking freezing.

Both teams are playing shit this year but Met have edged two meetings already, winning in the Welsh Cup at Cyncoed and in the league at Jenner Park. Barry go back to play the reverse league fixture in December. And because both teams will be in the bottom half of the table at the end of Phase 1, they'll play each other twice more before the end of the season.

Comment

Most likely nothing. Mrs H is away in the car with the girl Saturday into Sunday. There's a small chance I could convince the boy of the merits of a trip out on the tram to watch Curzon Ashton in the Trophy but I fear that if I did I'd end up with a cold and grumpy one. Palming him off with friends while I cycle to Brantingham Road to watch Maine Road looks the more promising option but his two best friends are both away for the weekend. I'm still working on alternatives.

Tuesday Mrs H and her brother have tickets to see Norwich at St James' Park. Problem is her brother is on jury service which may rule him out. She won't go all that way on her own so the question may be, could I be bothered to?

Comment

Taking a 3 hour train journey, including waiting in Peterborough for an hour to watch Lincoln v Accrington Stanley in lousy weather (my father no longer wants to watch a dour match in the pouring rain and cold). Thanks to the continuing engineering works on the East Coast Main Line I will eventually make it home at about half 10, no doubt witnessing another embarrassing home defeat.

Comment

Against my better judgement, I'll be at Peterborough vs Barnsley. As my interest in watching us 'play' each week has dropped, my fourteen year old son's has peaked. I'm taking him because that's what I would have wanted my dad to do when I was fourteen.

Comment

Good news, the house in Sheffield Mrs H and the girl were due to visit tomorrow is infested with rats so Sheffield is coming to stay with us instead. I'm going to leave it until late morning before deciding where to go as the weather is looking a bit ropey.

Comment

Season fully under way here now, thankfully. Saturday morning will see me helping to coach my son’s under 11s, Warwick Kodiaks, as they face X-Roads. Then on Sunday I will be at Garrison Field to ref X-Roads seniors team in the Premier Div against PHC Zebras. After 4 games PHC are one of 2 unbeaten sides, Dandy Town Hornets being the other, whilst X-Roads haven’t had a great start, so expect an away win.

Comment

Perth Scorchers v Adelaide Strikers, Women's Big Bash League Grand Final

The WBBL grand final to be held at the 60,000 capacity Optus Stadium where the Scorchers have home advantage having finished top of the table. Adelaide finished 4th so it would be a shock if they came over here and flew home with the trophy.

The record crowd for any women's game in Perth is just under 42,000, which was set by Aussie Rules side Fremantle Dockers back in 2018, so they're hoping to set a new record later this afternoon. I got my tickets on Monday but at my son's cricket game earlier this morning, they had free tickets to give away however most parents had either already bought theirs too, or have no interest in going. It wasn't easy trying to give away those free tickets, but I managed to offload them eventually.

As I type it's already 36C and very sunny. With the game due to start in just over 2 hours time, the heat may well keep the crowd down.

Comment

Rhydymwyn 1-1 St Asaph City (Ardal North West)

A blustery Friday evening in the hills above Mold in a village named by a horse trying to do an impression of a motorbike starting. Both sides are towards the bottom of the division and the conditions didn't help matters. St Asaph took a first half lead before the hosts equalised on the hour, with the hosts unhappy as the linesman had raised his flag during the build up before putting it down again. Incidentally this linesman had chosen to wear a raincoat and baseball cap in addition to his normal refereeing kit.

Dolfechlas Road has a good sized stand, which came in handy with the intermittent rain. The clubhouse already has its Christmas decorations up, which took the focus off the "Live, laugh, love" style posters that otherwise decorate the walls.
                                      Last edited by Southport Zeb; 27-11-2021, 11:46.

Comment

Kennington 2 K Sports 4
                                        Southern Counties East Premier Division
                                        Att: 146

My plans to keep warm while watching the game (and keep an eye on West Brom v Forest on the TV) from the bar were thwarted by a private party being held there with all the windows blacked out.

So I had to brave the cold and witness a strange game in which Kennington were largely dominant but, having conceded first, took until the 78th minute to get a 2-1 lead which they promptly threw away by conceding three goals in the last ten minutes. In fact all four of K Sports' goals were very similar - nippy forwards exposing a statuesque defence to be left one on one with the keeper.

In the end, quite an eventful game and from all reports I missed absolutely nothing from The Hawthorns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                                          Dandy Town Hornets being the other...
                                          Are there any other clubs in world football with two comics in their name?

Nobody say Morecambe, OK?

Comment

Best I can manage is Deportivo la Cor!una

Comment

There was the Beezer Homes League of course

Of which one club would always be Topper the table
                                              Last edited by Nesta; 27-11-2021, 12:52.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                                [B]

In the end, quite an eventful game and from all reports I missed absolutely nothing from The Hawthorns.
                                                No, it wasn't worth turning your eyes from anything else for. It got slightly more interesting after the red card, as that finally convinced Forest it was there for the winning. Then Hugill should have won it for Albion, but blazed his effort into what was left of the crowd in the Brummie Road End. The East Stand too was empty by then. Partly because of Storm Arwen, but also partly because sitting through 90 minutes of 'Valball' requires a heroism all of its own.

Comment

Tottenham Hotspur ​​​​​​, who are in Action this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X