X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crouch's "fan-led" review of football

So Tracey Crouch's "independent" "fan-led" review has published its report:

https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/1463633420756606983?s=20

The whole thing is published here. For quick read, look at the summary of recommendations in Appendix A

Overall it's better than I expected at the outset, though it's disappointing in places (weak on supporter representation, soft on proposals to end parachute payments). Early noises ( for what that's worth) are that "Downing Street" will support the plan. We'll see.

Imagine where we'd be if this had been in place some years ago:

29. The consent of the holder of the Golden Share should be required for the sale of the club stadium, relocation outside of the local area which is not a temporary part of a redevelopment, joining a new competition that is not approved by FIFA, UEFA and the FA and/or leaving a competition in which it currently plays, club badge, first team home colours, and club playing name.

30. The Golden Share should be held by a Community Benefit Society formed for the benefit of the club’s supporters operating under standardised rules set by IREF in conjunction with the FCA.

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Overall it's better than I expected at the outset, though it's disappointing in places (weak on supporter representation, soft on proposals to end parachute payments)
    Disappaz?

Comment

Yeah clauses 29 and 30 look the most robust and promising. Other bits are more woolly.

And the whinging of the privileged has begun as expected.

Comment

Can't get the dumptheguardian to work on that link just now. Villa whining?

Comment

He's also illiterate; the goose wasn't golden. That would have never worked – far too conspicuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
            He's also illiterate; the goose wasn't golden. That would have never worked – far too conspicuous.
            The golden goose was golden though, people got stuck to it because they tried to thieve its feathers IIRC?

Last edited by Guy Profumo; 25-11-2021, 10:40.

Comment

I really hope there's a plan for building public support for these proposals, loudly and quickly.

Comment

I'm encouraged by it. The bit about parachute payments is weak (feels like an exercise in can-kicking, to me) and they don't reference state ownership of clubs at all (I'm not surprised by that in the slightest and wasn't really expecting it to), but there's plenty of good stuff in it and it's probably more forthright than I would have expected at the outset of it all. The overarching message that I took from it is what I wanted to see, that football and clubs are important in a way that isn't always easy to measure, and that this value has to be protected.

The danger now is that it gets watered down through lobbying, and the PL is going to lobby the fuck out of this, so it's important that the pressure is kept on. I write something brief about it this morning and included details on how to contact your MP in it. Hopefully there'll be something constructive we can do to try and get it over the line in this form.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

The golden goose was golden though, people got stuck to it because they tried to thieve its feathers IIRC?

Pics or it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                    Yeah clauses 29 and 30 look the most robust and promising. Other bits are more woolly.

And the whinging of the privileged has begun as expected.
                    Fuck the lot of em. Hopefully they’ve brought this shit on themselves. Each and every one of em.

Comment

Here you go
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meRk0XKBHVg

Comment

A typically wise and insightful thread from one of our own

https://twitter.com/theboyler/status/1463873857182486537?s=20

Comment

Working...
                        X