Go 4th and qualify - match going 15th-21st October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go 4th and qualify - match going 15th-21st October

It's the fourth qualifying round of the Cup this weekend but my only hope of getting to see a game is if there's a replay I can get to.

Instead, I'm 'celebrating' 58 years since our fateful move to Middlesbrough by watching Boro v Peterborough. Colin has got his excuses in early by claiming we only have one fit defender which should point to some goals. But I'm on 67 games without a 0-0 so I'm expecting the usual ten minutes where we look really good followed by 80 when we don't but this time ending in stalemate. With it being Warnock v Ferguson, the 4th I'll really be concerned about is the 4th official, who will really be earning their fee tomorrow.
    Last edited by Capybara; 15-10-2021, 11:58.

As mentioned on the Groundhopper App thread I discovered the big local clash between Canton Liberal FC and Grange Albion was listed at the wrong ground. The brand new ground is now on the App and I'm going!

Comment

Orient v Walsall. First home game for three weeks, and we've been a bit ropey lately. Not expecting huge entertainment tbh.

Comment

It's a Cup weekend in Wales too with the 4th round of the men's Welsh Cup. I was tempted by the Flint v Connah's Quay local derby tonight, but the train times don't quite make it worth it, so instead I'll be at Colwyn Bay vs Cardiff Met on Saturday (which I reckon could be the strongest shout for an upset this weekend). Sunday I'm looking at Rhyl vs Pwllheli in the last 16 of the Women's Welsh Cup

Comment

No football this weekend as I will be at the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester on Saturday and Sunday for the two legs of the Speedway of Nations Final

It's the current incarnation of the sport's World Cup and GB as hosts are joined by Poland, Sweden, Australia, Denmark, France & Latvia who have qualified to race off against each other in 44 heats over the weekend.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing some top level international competition for the first time this year having not made any of the Grand Prix this season. I'm also particularly happy to be seeing three time World Champion Tai Woffinden captain GB as I haven't seen him race for a year or ride on home shale for even longer.

The weather looks like it may well intrude at some point but hopefully we'll get a result, especially as my tickets were originally for the thrice-postponed May 2020 staging of the event.

I'll probably see a game on Tuesday or Wednesday evening, ideally a Cup replay like Capybara if one presents itself. Would love it if Chertsey Town get a draw at Southend and then see if I can get a ticket for their place!
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-10-2021, 15:37.

Comment

Local derby v Wigan. I'm dreading it. Hopefully there'll be no trouble and we won't get beat. Both scenarios are unlikely, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Canton Liberal FC
              Heh, my mate lives in Canton and this is a pretty on the nose team name.

Comment

Zilina vs Dunajska Streda

If Dunajska bring a few fans, as they usually do, we may see the first four-figure league crowd of the season.

Zilina haven't won for 5 games and Dunajska have been inconsistent, despite recently breaking the Slovak transfer fee record. So no idea what will happen on the field. There are usually goals in the fixture though, so perhaps a not much use to anyone 2-2 draw.

Comment

Brentford v Chelsea on Saturday. If we don't win, I think that spells the end of our title hopes.

Travelling on to Kent where there's a bit of a dearth of midweek fixtures. It looks like Hythe Town v Hastings United on Tuesday - unless Folkestone Invicta can get a draw at Eastleigh in the FA Cup, in which case I'll go to the replay.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                    Local derby v Wigan. I'm dreading it. Hopefully there'll be no trouble and we won't get beat. Both scenarios are unlikely, sadly.
                    I may have to think again if the boy decides he wants to come but I'm currently looking at a trip to Bolton too. I've not yet decided whether it'll be Old Boltonians or Breightmet United though.

Comment

South Liverpool v Pilkington tonight, then Rhuddlan Town v Kinmel Bay tomorrow.

Comment

The title works for me as well, as 4th place could be good enough for Europe this year.

Tonight I'll be at 5th place Bohemians v 6th place Dundalk, should be a few goals.

Comment

Just left Larne Youth v Coleraine and on my way to Carrick Rangers U18 v Cliftonville Strollers

Tomorrow

1100 Crusaders Youth v Portadown
                          1300 Donegal Celtic v Broomhedge Maghaberry
                          1500 Cliftoville v Larne
                          1730 Glentorran v Coleraine

Sunday

Yorkshire v Kashmir

Comment

Home to Sheffield Wednesday tomz.

Comment

Proper First Division fixture

Comment

Totes. Last played at Plough Lane on 24 Mar 1990. 1-1 draw. Wednesday went down that season, hence our not playing them in the last season at Plough Lane. We finished five places above Man United that year, too.
                                Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 16-10-2021, 08:30.

Comment

Wimbledon v Sheffield Wednesday at Plough Lane. Would have settled for that on 28/05/2002

Comment

Burton 3 Morecambe 2

Trekking around the 92 and number 70 is Burton Albion. Tidy ground let down by no digital ticketing (picked up my order from the ticket office, no fewer than three pieces of card in an envelope when these days it's all about the QR codes on yer phone), no contactless payment at the snack bar and no veggie pie options. Small niggles I suppose but even Rovers manage all this and we're ridiculous.

Impressive turnout from Morecambe and noisy with it. They went 1-0 up within two minutes as well, tidy finish after being given far too much space in their first real attack. The home side were back on terms within a couple of minutes as they netted straight from a corner (I think) - bizarre goal as nobody in the area I was in, level with the penalty area, reacted at all - first anybody realised it had gone in was when the players ran off to celebrate. Burton went 2-1 up on 15 minutes with a header in yards of space as both sides produced an entertaining, attacking game.

2-1 at half time became 3-1 just after the break and Burton's fans kept up the barrage of noise, accompanied by their drum. I'm sorry but I'd honestly introduce automatic expulsion from the League for these things. Having to listen to them every game would drive me mad tbh. Morecambe's fans gamely responded and then it all kicked off in the away end, a home steward seemingly provoking the ire of the traveling army and I saw punches exchanged before he was sent well away by his supervisors. No idea what provoked it but Morecambe's fans certainly seemed furious about something.

Burton were full value for their healthy lead, though the visitors were never quite out of it and a touch more composure going forward could have seen them pull a goal back earlier than they eventually did when they made it 3-2 with literally the last kick of the game.

Good night out that

Comment

Newark 1 Heather St Johns 4
                                      UCL Premier North

At a loose end on Friday night but fortunately I discovered a bonus match. Newark, having been kicked out of their hometown ground, are sharing with Basford United this season and their match was brought forward a day as Basford have a home game tomorrow.

So it was off to Greenwich Avenue to witness a superb performance by the visitors, Heather St Johns. I stood behind their dugout and their manager's instructions consisted of regular exhortations to 'Keep the ball'. And they did. They passed around their opposition with consummate ease and the third of their four first half goals was the culmination of a 25 pass move. The fourth was a delightful chip from 35 yards over a stranded keener.

They couldn't quite keep up that level of performance in the second half and Newark got one back from the penalty spot but ended up comfortable winners. I was so impressed with them I made a mental note to tick off their ground and see a home game of theirs before the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post
                                        Trekking around the 92

Comment

Crusaders U16 v Portadown

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post
                                            no contactless payment at the snack bar and no veggie pie options. Small niggles I suppose but even Rovers manage all this and we're ridiculous.
                                            Whereas I would be annoyed if cash payments weren't possible!

Comment

Donegal Celtic, crashing down the leagues after a recent stint in the NI Premier

Comment

Decided to give Wealdstone's cup run a miss because the Met isn't working today, so it's Wembley v Holyport.

Comment

Carlisle v Tranmere.

Hoping for a new (caretaker) manager bounce for Carlisle. Tranmere yet to score in an away league game this season and Carlisle on a three game losing run without scoring. Could be a 4-4 draw but the smart money is on a narrow win to nil for the visitors.

​​

Comment

Working...
                                                  X