New York New York - Matchgoing thread 24th-30th September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York New York - Matchgoing thread 24th-30th September

After 21 months without going, I've got two trips to the New York in four days. Any Wimbledon fans likely to be about next Tuesday?

It came up a couple of days ago on my Facebook memories that it was four years ago since I met you there when our two sides met. This weekend, Bury AFC are down the road at Maltby Main (I'm not going) in the FA Vase while Bury FC is moribund and Gigg Lane decays. Amazing, really.

Comment

I'm planning to go to Winslow United v the oddly-named Shefford Town & Campton in the FA Vase on Friday, and Pitstone & Ivinghoe v New Bradwell St Peter in the Spartan South Midlands League Division 2 on Saturday.

Comment

My younger brother has his 50th birthday party on Saturday evening in Hertford so I'm planning to see a game at a new ground nearby prior to that, probably Kings Langley v Poole Town in the Southern League Premier.

I'm still hoping to pop down to The Oval tomorrow to meet a mate and watch Surrey and Glamorgan meander to a close of their relatively meaningless match as my last cricket of the summer.

Probably busy with a work thing on Tuesday but may get to a game Wednesday night.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-09-2021, 11:57.

Comment

I done gone messed up a couple months back not realising that the "free Saturday" in Barry's schedule was a earmarked for a cup game. So I won't be at the soulless Cardiff Met ground on Saturday and will be doing something else. No other plans so I think my September matchgoing is over.

Comment

Back to youth football for me this weekend as My u11s take on Evesham United Colts in Evesham. A couple of weeks back we beat Evesham United Robins 1-0. Their Colts are their A team though and are two divisions above us. It's going to be a tough one.

With that being said, the boys are a little bullish after our big win last weekend.

We're hoping for a shock on the scale of Hereford beating Newcastle...

Comment

Big away day on Saturday as I'm going to Manchester's premier event of the weekend - West Didsbury & Chorlton v Parkgate in the Vase. I suspect I may be the only travelling supporter outside of club representatives, so I'm going to storm EIM's pub. Or more likely I'll just sit quietly in the corner enjoying a well kept pint.

Having a couple of days of fresh air and fun in Blackpool next week courtesy of Northern Rail's recent £1 ticket offer. Most people going there at this time of year do so to see the big lights whereas my centrepiece will be Squires Gate v Longridge Town in the North West Counties Premier.

Comment

After a weekend off sport, I'm back at it with Conwy Borough vs TNS in the Welsh Cup on Friday night, plus North Wales Crusaders vs Doncaster at Colwyn Bay in the Rugby League, League One play-offs on Sunday evening... if the weather holds off and I've nowt else going on I might squeeze a game in on Saturday too.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                  Big away day on Saturday as I'm going to Manchester's premier event of the weekend - West Didsbury & Chorlton v Parkgate in the Vase. I suspect I may be the only travelling supporter outside of club representatives, so I'm going to storm EIM's pub. Or more likely I'll just sit quietly in the corner enjoying a well kept pint.

Having a couple of days of fresh air and fun in Blackpool next week courtesy of Northern Rail's recent £1 ticket offer. Most people going there at this time of year do so to see the big lights whereas my centrepiece will be Squires Gate v Longridge Town in the North West Counties Premier.
                  We went the other week, when I was at a Motor Neurone Disease do hosted by Lenny Johnrose at the Winter Gardens on the Saturday night. Fleetwood on the Sunday, lights (in an illuminated tram, something I've always wanted to do) that night, Pleasure Beach the following morning. Monday morning the week after the kids have gone back to school is absolutely the time to go, we didn't have to queue for a thing. Those quid tickets for the train were terrific too.
                  Last edited by Giggler; 23-09-2021, 12:31.

Comment

Chelsea V Man. City at the Bridge in Saturday for me as an appetiser before the big one, Banstead Village in Bloom's annual quiz night.

Comment

Bohemians at home to Finn Harps tomorrow night. With Dundalk away on Monday it could be a big weekend. 6 points and I would be confident that we could sneak in to the last European spot, anything less and it's likely to be the Cup or bust.

Comment

Worthing vs Corinthian-Casuals for me. It's the first match I'll have been to without kids in six years, so I expect to get home afterwards with an empty champagne bottle in each hand, a cigar on the go, and a needle hanging out of each arm.

Comment

Big away day on Saturday as I'm going to Manchester's premier event of the weekend - West Didsbury & Chorlton v Parkgate in the Vase.
                          It will definitely be one of the best attended - I was among 400 odd present for the previous round.

We're having a family day out on the train to Liverpool with a predicted sixth straight league defeat for Norwich at Goodison the centrepiece.

Comment

I'm going to watch Brentford v Liverpool and playing it cool by not adding "In the league!"

Comment

My first visit to the Pirelli Stadium (Is it still called that?) this weekend as Lincoln visit Burton. Will have to find something interesting to see before kick off.

I hear that McGrandles, Hopper and Maguire are definitely out, with Bridcutt and Poole being doubts. Looks like another easy home win.
                              Last edited by RobW; 24-09-2021, 10:40.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                My first visit to the Pirelli Stadium (Is it still called that?) this weekend as Lincoln visit Burton. Will have to find something interesting to see before kick off
                                The National Brewery Centre is worth a visit. Shire horses and beer. Win.

Comment

Stadium of Light, Sunderland. Knackered my ankle walking in the lakes this week. I'm hoping the stewards will take pity on me and let me take the lift up to the away end.

Comment

Brentford v Liverpool. A must-win game. A defeat would see Liverpool open up an eight point gap over us...

Travelling on to Kent where I might be able to tick off two new grounds with Hastings United (yes, I know it's in Sussex) v Ashford United on Tuesday and Staplehurst Monarchs v Larkfield and New Hythe on Wednesday.

Comment

Salop v The Dons.

No doubt Wimbledon's young 'uns will run rings around our carthorses in midfield and at the back.

Then Tuesday it's home to Wycombe Wanders, for a totally different game of football I imagine.

Comment

I'm probably going to see WD&C a week Saturday as I'm in town for work and it seemed the most interesting club to visit (I did ponder Curzon Ashton's Cup tie but nothing about them or their ground really inspired me). I am a little concerned that West's "ultras" might annoy me but will give it a punt.

I might even try EIM's pub too, still never been.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-09-2021, 20:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I'm probably going to see WD&C a week Saturday as I'm in town for work and it seemed the most interesting club to visit (I did ponder Curzon Ashton's Cup tie but nothing about them or their ground really inspired me. I am a little concerned that West's "ultras" might annoy me but will give it a punt.

There were considerably fewer songs about houmous and quinoa at the Vase game I attended than on my previous visit which I suspect you'd consider to be a good thing. They all gather under or around the covered stand behind the goal nearest the entrance so they're easy to ignore. I'd have paid another visit myself to say hello but, unusually for me, I've already made arrangements to go to Atherton Collieries with a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            Which pub is EIM's? (Or, EIM, what's your pub called?)

I feel like I've been on previous Manchester visits, but I'm not 100% sure

Comment

The Grey Horse, Portland St.

Comment

I've bought a ticket for Atlas v Leon on Saturday, which will be my first game in Mexico. 3rd v 4th in the Liga MX.

Comment

No football for me as spectators are finally being welcomed back into an English forest for a car rally. Forestry England are clearly considering excluding the sport from their land altogether and have held off from allowing any events to take place until their summer season of walkers, MTBers and horse riders has eased off. The rally tonight and tomorrow is being branded a test event, but it's less to do with Covid than it is to see how a 'large scale event' (that will probably attract far fewer people than a normal summer Saturday) is managed by the volunteer organisers and how the competitors/ spectators handle themselves. Feels like the sport is on the brink, so I may as well get out there and enjoy it while I can.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X