Turf Moortal Kombat - Matchgoing Thread 17th-23rd Sep 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turf Moortal Kombat - Matchgoing Thread 17th-23rd Sep 2021

Just wanted the title really. As I'm going to see a team with 10 red cards in 62 games take on one with zero in 97.
    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 16-09-2021, 10:53.

I'm off to Hillsborough to see Shrewsbury get totally owned.

It's a new 'tick' and I'm really excited about catching another tram to a match (I took one to Fleetwood a couple of seasons ago). It feels proper old school.

We're making a weekend of it in York, so the weekend won't be a total write off.

Comment

I'm off to Whaddon Road to watch Cheltenham probably lose to Oxford.

My u11s are playing on Saturday morning, but I'm unable to attend as my wife is going on my sister's hen do in Cardiff so I have to stay at home with my twins. A friend is taking my son to play the u11 game. Fortunately, although he doesn't know it yet, my 15 year old will keep an eye on them in the afternoon from 2:15 to about 5:30, so I will only be going to the ground for kickoff and leaving to go home immediately after instead of going to the pub before and after.

Comment

Applause for the title.

I'm going to Wimbledon v Plymouth Argyle on Saturday with my son and usual gaggle of mates. We've booked a table pre-match at the By The Horns tap room behind Plough Lane which we enjoyed visiting in pre-season but now requires advance notice to secure a spot.

Wednesday is Arsenal v Wimbledon in the League Cup which is a very exciting prospect even if the likely outcome is defeat by the Gunners' reserve/development side.

I might squeeze in a game on Tuesday, possibly my first visit of the season to my ever-hapless local side Molesey (currently without a win in any competiion and languishing at the bottom of the CCL Premier South table with 0 points and a GD of -20 after 6 games).

Comment

Dunno what time you're booked in Ray de Galles but I saw this on FB:

Just a few days to go until the Tooting unveiling of the plaque for Marc Bolan!

The plaque on Summerstown Tesco Express will be unveiled after a short ceremony involving speakers, recitals and music, starting at 1pm on Saturday 18th September, at the nearby By The Horns Brewery, the site of Marc Bolan's (then Feld) family's prefab home!

Before that, organiser and local historian Geoff Simmons invites fans to join him outside Tooting Broadway tube station at 11am for "Marc Bolan's Teenage Dream", a unique guided
          tour of the area, visiting some key locations associated with him, finishing at By the Horns in time for the ceremony. Email rgbsimmons182@gmail.com to book and visit summerstown182@wordpress.com for more info.

Jackie magazine images via @jackellyreed on Twitter, from Bolan fan Michael Warley's personal collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            I'm going to Wimbledon v Plymouth Argyle on Saturday with my son and usual gaggle of mates. We've booked a table pre-match at the By The Horns tap room behind Plough Lane which we enjoyed visiting in pre-season but now requires advance notice to secure a spot.
            Well that's a load of bull.

Comment

That's peculiar! There from 1:30pm so will see tail end of it at best/worst.

I will take a look at that plaque though.

Comment

There is rather a lot to untangle about a plaque on a Tesco Express on the site of Marc Bolan's home.

Comment

Excellent title.

Partick Thistle v Kilmarnock for me on Saturday and then Stansted v Ilford in the Essex Senior League on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                    There is rather a lot to untangle about a plaque on a Tesco Express on the site of Marc Bolan's home.
                    I spent most of my teens living overlooking the tree that he died crashing in to so it will have a nice symmetry for me.

Comment

I also shall be at the Plymuff game. Obviously we're going to thrash 'em.

Comment

Bolton v Rotherham for me. The new owners continuing their good work with a fan day and much reduced prices. Hoping for close to 20k on.

Comment

Nothing really leaps out in the Cup so I'm probably going to follow in the footsteps of several others on previous matchgoing threads and go and tick off Ilkley Town. Can't remember who they're playing but I'm sure it'll be lovely.

Wednesday night will be Parkgate v Hallam. I wasn't very impressed with Hallam when I saw them a month since but they've now started scoring goals like they're going out of fashion (29 in their last five league games!) so that'll be a nailed on 0-0.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                            Nothing really leaps out in the Cup so I'm probably going to follow in the footsteps of several others on previous matchgoing threads and go and tick off Ilkley Town. Can't remember who they're playing but I'm sure it'll be lovely.

Wednesday night will be Parkgate v Hallam. I wasn't very impressed with Hallam when I saw them a month since but they've now started scoring goals like they're going out of fashion (29 in their last five league games!) so that'll be a nailed on 0-0.
                            I was looking at Parkgate v Hallam too, but not 100% on that yet.
                            Should be at Worsborough v Selby Tuesday
                            If you stand at the right end you get a good backdrop at Ilkley, but that’s about it!

Comment

Like Nick, I'm planning to tick off Hillsborough on Saturday. Bought the tickets today, actually. Taking nephew who turned 8 today. Mrs Thistle doesn't think shrews have much of a chance against owls. She's probably right.

Tuesday night, Barry play Trefelin in the Welsh League Cup. It's a possible banana skin. Bit worried.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                Bolton v Rotherham for me.
                                I'm not sure that I'd bother with a trip to the middle of nowhere even if I was still based in South Yorkshire.

Comment

Down in London for the Weekend to watch my mate's lad play in the National Village Cup Final at Lords (well he's twelfth man).

I was toying getting both the FA Cup games at Sutton Common Rovers and Carshalton in tomorrow but will most likely head to Hitchin for their tie with Cheshunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    I'm not sure that I'd bother with a trip to the middle of nowhere even if I was still based in South Yorkshire.
                                    I went there once, don't feel the need to go again.

Comment

I seem to have a spare for Saturday, if anyone is looking for a last-minute plan.

Comment

After doing three games a week since the season started, I'm now restricted again in respect of midweek opportunities. I've been to each FA Cup round so far but, unless an unlikely opportunity pops up, I'll be missing this one. I'm at Middlesbrough v Blackpool on Saturday and that's it.

Comment

I'm on Public Address duty for the first time this year, Bohemians v Maynooth University Town in the FAI Cup quarter finals.

During the summer we sold 8,000 tickets for our European game against PAOK in Landsdowne Road getting people all upset that our proposed new stadium will only have a 6,500 capacity. Tonight we're allowed a 1,500 crowd, and there were still a few tickets available for the general public when I checked earlier!

Comment

I'm on last minute planning but Plough Lane might be a bit of a stretch. Mrs H was due to go on a mum's camping trip this weekend. I had the kids with me at last weekend's game and after this weekend they've got successive Saturdays watching Norwich so I thought they might need a week off. Camping has just been cancelled though. Atherton Collieries or a second attempt at completing a game at Chorley are my options - I'm waiting on a pal who lives near Atherton to get back to me before I decide.

Comment

Carlisle v Scunthorpe

With all due respect to the Iron, not one of the glamour ties you immediately search for when the fixtures come out, but it's fallen on a day when I can make it up there so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Comment

Wolves v Brentford in the Saturday lunchtime fixture.

Then on Tuesday and Wednesday I'll be searching the lower reaches of the UCL for some action around Nottingham.

Comment

Bohemians 4 Maynooth University Town 0

Tonight was a no win situation for the Bohs team and manager Keith Long. Playing a cup quarter final against a non league side ,with vital league games to come on Monday and next Friday, the obvious thing to do is rest a number of first teamers, the problem is how many. If you completely change the team, you run the risk of a giant killing.

Luckily enough, that was never going to happen. Maynooth, as can be gleaned from their name, are a recent Town versus Gown amalgamation, and like most potential giant killers chased every delivery in the first 30 minutes like their lives depended on it, however Bohs always had too much for them, even with a weakened squad, and took the lead through captain Keith Buckley after 17 minutes.

The game was over as a contest in four minutes from the 35th. First, Maynooth defender Kelly saw a straight red for an over the ball challenge , then Bohs got two goals in the next three minutes through midfielders Conor Levingston and Keith Ward.

The second half, as can be imagined, was pretty much a non event, apart from new signing Roland Ilowu coming off the bench to score the fourth on his debut.

First game on Stadium announcer duties for me in nearly a year went well, I enjoyed it and apart from getting the opening scorers name wrong, I thought I did a good job.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X