Random football thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
    I went to the WSC event at West Didsbury and Chorlton FC tonight.
    I enjoyed the different Zoom events they did (esp. the photography session). Too bad they aren't recording these and doing some low-cost patron options for audio or video. How was it?

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

I enjoyed the different Zoom events they did (esp. the photography session). Too bad they aren't recording these and doing some low-cost patron options for audio or video. How was it?
      It was okay, much like a podcast.

Comment

It was okay, much like a podcast.
        There's a photo from the event in this week's Weekly Howl. The photo shows one woman in a room full of mostly middle aged dudes. I'm hoping she was there by choice otherwise that could have been one of the longest 90 (??) minutes of her life. Haha.

Comment

Posting this here in lieu of not being able to find a thread for defunct competitions...

I called in to see my dad on my way home from watching an FAW Amateur Trophy tie on Saturday. My dad played in a couple of finals of the competition's predecessor (The FAW Amateur Cup) in the late 1960s early 1970s as part of a strong Cardiff College of Education team. Anyway a conversation about that led to him mentioning that the winners of the FAW Amateur Cup used to play the winners of the English Amateur Cup, meaning his Cardiff College team had travelled to London to play Leytonstone in 1968-69.

I'd never heard of these challenge matches before, and can't find any record of them, so wondered if anyone on here knew anything about them?

Comment

Don't know the answer to that Uros, but was your dad's alma mater part of the college on the Cyncoed campus? (Part of the very convoluted history of Cardiff Metropolitan University)

Comment

If Leytonstone FC records are held anywhere now, they'd be most likely at Dagenham & Redbridge, though fans who might remember it would likely be scattered far and wide and Essex non-league football seems perma-chaotic, to me. Obviously my dad supports Enfield and they won the Amateur Cup a couple of times about then - 1967 and 1971, I think - but I don't remember any mention of that fixture. Otherwise, if it was anything like an official match I'd expect to find it on the FCHD. Maybe there's a Facebook group for old Leytonstone-Ilford-Walthamstow fans or something. Those three clubs all ended up being the Redbridge in Dagenham & Redbridge.

Comment

I've just become aware that Hungary now have a player called Callum Styles on their national team (though I guess really it should be Styles Callum). Born in Bury, plays for Barnsley though is currently on loan at Millwall. He's got a Hungarian grandparent apparently.

Comment

Has anybody watched the Ronaldo documentary yet?

Comment

Is it a documentary, or an interview? If the latter it appears to be an annoying man with a massive ego interviews an annoying man with a massive ego. Which doesn't sound up my street to be honest

Comment

I think CB means this one about R9:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ffsj

I've not seen it myself, but my cousin said it's decent.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Is it a documentary, or an interview? If the latter it appears to be an annoying man with a massive ego interviews an annoying man with a massive ego. Which doesn't sound up my street to be honest
                        Sorry, i didn't explain very well. It's a documentary about Ronaldo Nazario. Specifically about his time with Inter and the events during the 1998 and 2002 World Cups. It's very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post

Sorry, i didn't explain very well. It's a documentary about Ronaldo Nazario. Specifically about his time with Inter and the events during the 1998 and 2002 World Cups. It's very good.
                          Ah ok. Hadn't heard about it. It does sound good and interesting

Comment

Yeah. I found it very interesting and it cleared up the pre World Cup Final story of his illness (for me anyway) as there were rumours of all descriptions flying about. I also hadn’t realised how much I’d underrated him as a player and what a remarkable comeback he made.

Comment

This one really did seem random.

In "The First Lady" (TV series, got cancelled but I quite liked it) Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt are having dinner with the British ambassador. Eleanor wants to talk about refugees but FDR doesn't. As an abrupt change of topic he asks the ambassador how his soccer team "Winchester City" are getting on.

I wonder why/how the writers landed there. Probably because it sounds posh, the ambassador is posh, Brits are usually posh (in USA TV world). Also, the writers didn't care. But for the good people of Winchester City FC, a proud moment to hear Kiefer Sutherland say your club's name.

(Edit: obsessively adding script extract)

FDR: "Ambassador Lindsay, am I to understand that Winchester City is your football club of choice?"
                              Amb: "Unfortunately, it is."
                              FDR: "Unfortunately indeed. I've seen them play."
                              Last edited by tee rex; 30-11-2022, 14:02.

Comment

Subbuteo has worked out how to get The Awesome Berbaslug!!! playing

Comment

Please tell me that's not for real... ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                                    Please tell me that's not for real... ​​​​
                                    Oh it is.

Subbuteo 3085 Official Virtual Assistant Referee (VAR) Set https://amzn.eu/d/howQLEi

Comment

Didn't think it merited a thread and I couldn't find one about financial troubles. But anyway - Elite Sports Group, which runs several club shops in the EFL and Premier League, has gone into administration. This means some clubs are currently without a shop or online retail presence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63743048

Comment

When Plymouth played Argentina:

https://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/sv-...uthamerica.asp

Comment

I didn’t realise until earlier today that ex Chelsea player Jesper Gronkjaer was born in Greenland.

Comment

I didn’t realise until earlier today that ex Chelsea player Jesper Gronkjaer was born in Greenland.
                                            Do we know if he ever played for their representative side?

I recall reading that Morten Gamst Pedersen qualified and, I think, played for the Sápmi (formerly known as Lapland) team.

Comment

He doesn't appear to have turned out for Greenland

http://polar-bamserne.wifeo.com/internationals.php#1123

Comment

He was taken to Denmark when quite young and started showing promise as a player.

I was reading about it in the chapter about Greenland in Steve Menary’s ‘Outcasts’, which is a very good read throughout.

It also completely missed my radar that Gronkjaer played for Atletico Madrid.
                                                Last edited by Tony C; 19-12-2022, 13:05.

Comment

Tonight, the Basque women's football team won 3-0 against Chile, who will play in the World Cup play-offs in the New Year, suggesting they would be capable of qualifying themselves in a Wales-type scenario:

https://twitter.com/EFF_FVF/status/1605290145145552896

Comment

What's a "Wales-type scenario"?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X