No announcement yet.

Random football thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/GillHall27/status/1557403321203318785?t=naob4oqOJDo-lFM2jwlq6A&s=19

Comment

I was unaware of the football cliches podcast until I read about it in this thread. I used some of the summer football break to bounce around through some older episodes. The latest episode with David Goldblatt is really good. There's an especially interesting discussion about sports talk radio and about Queen's "We Are the Champions."

Comment

An interesting article on Jack Kirwan, who played a key role in the early histories of Spurs, Chelsea and Ajax.
        Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 14-08-2022, 08:00.

Comment

Workmen at our house listening to a Heart/Smooth type radio channel on which a post news sports roundup earlier began “Liverpool, without a league win this season, tonight take on Crystal Palace..”

It’s brutal at the top.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gwylwalgoch/status/1559156681346523136?t=SHhEmAhiAOliPyJLZmcLmg&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              I'd say this anonymous confession must be Ray de Galles but surely it would be a different game

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1544749278492610560?t=LkQ8kkcVvtEso8hOcIEX-Q&s=19
              I've seen three sons born, but I've only once seen Ipswich win the FA Cup at Wembley, so let's keep some perspective here please.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                I was unaware of the football cliches podcast until I read about it in this thread. I used some of the summer football break to bounce around through some older episodes. The latest episode with David Goldblatt is really good. There's an especially interesting discussion about sports talk radio and about Queen's "We Are the Champions."
                They also mention Mascots Observing a Minute’s Silence without referencing its origins.

Comment

If Bĝdo/Glimt do qualify for the group stages, their Aspmyra Stadion would be the second-smallest ground ever to host such matches, having an 8,250 capacity, with only Aalborg in '95/'96 being smaller, at 6,800 seats.

Comment

Guy Mowbray has a tattoo of the logo of the Jorvik Reds ultras group that one of my mates set up at York in the mid-00s

https://twitter.com/Guymowbray/status/1559848089959256064

Comment

I really went off him (Adam Hurrey) and his podcast after the first few episodes. It's my little prejudices and pettinesses I'm sure, but for someone supposedly so steeped in football (and its folklore and cliches), he seems to have very little knowledge of the details and history pre-1990s that most of us probably have even if we weren't old enough to have experienced things first-hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

I really went off him (Adam Hurrey) and his podcast after the first few episodes. It's my little prejudices and pettinesses I'm sure, but for someone supposedly so steeped in football (and its folklore and cliches), he seems to have very little knowledge of the details and history pre-1990s that most of us probably have even if we weren't old enough to have experienced things first-hand.
                        It's not my top go-to podcast. I listen based on the guest if there is a guest. But it seems to be geared to 1992-present (Premier League era). Others might say more who listen more closely and regularly.

I posted this in another thread but WSC's podcast is my only "listen to every episode." Beyond that, I dip in and out of World Football Phone in, this football cliches podcast, and then Football Ramble's episodes that preview and review the Premier League weekend. Then there are some others that seem to be done but I mix in when I have time and based on the guest (e.g., Life Goals).

Comment

It's not my top go-to podcast. I listen based on the guest if there is a guest. But it seems to be geared to 1992-present (Premier League era). Others might say more who listen more closely and regularly.

I posted this in another thread but WSC's podcast is my only "listen to every episode." Beyond that, I dip in and out of World Football Phone in, this football cliches podcast, and then Football Ramble's episodes that preview and review the Premier League weekend. Then there are some others that seem to be done but I mix in when I have time and based on the guest (e.g., Life Goals).
                          Not just Premier League era, but very much Premier League only, with some mentions of EFL if something is said in a live game on the previous weekend.

I listen to every episode, but the unconscious belitlling of lower league football does irritate me.

Comment

Just Look at His Face is a podcast that seemed to run for 1 season. It looks like early episodes use a single year to discuss broader issues and then they start to shift to specific regions or people. I'm most of the way through the 1985 episode, which is interesting.

Comment

Yet another chance for us oldies to harrumph ...

Guardian Knowledge question:

To hear that a fixture is a ‘six-pointer’ is pretty common in the modern game, but I can’t ever remember hearing a game was a ‘four-pointer’ when it was just two points for a win. Can anyone find examples of pre-1981 games called four-pointers?”

Harrumph, I say. The answer is "every season". The phrase simply got updated.

Comment

Never seen this before.

Last edited by Sporting; 18-08-2022, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                  Yet another chance for us oldies to harrumph ...

Guardian Knowledge question:

To hear that a fixture is a ‘six-pointer’ is pretty common in the modern game, but I can’t ever remember hearing a game was a ‘four-pointer’ when it was just two points for a win. Can anyone find examples of pre-1981 games called four-pointers?”

Harrumph, I say. The answer is "every season". The phrase simply got updated.
                                  Harrumph seconded.

Comment

Watching Ton Pentre play today I was told that the goalposts at their Ynys Park ground are the original ones. Ton Pentre moved to Ynys Park in about 1906.

Surely this has to make them the oldest goalposts still in use in the world.

Comment

Did they have metal goalposts in 1906?

https://twitter.com/tonpentrefc/status/1561023507798130693?s=21&t=00G70Y_-NFuem3bVWKvxMw

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                        Not wanting to start a League Cup thread, does anyone know why Cambridge v Millwall is being played a week early?
                                        Also:

But Tranmere eschew wad of cash in exchange for promoting gambling

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...aking-24835568

Comment

Sad news :

Benin changing nickname from Squirrels to Cheetahs

Comment

Should have gone for "Da Homies".

The news sent me down the nickname rabbit-hole (and I expect somebody is "the Rabbits"). Benin's women's team does not appear to have a nickname yet, unlike Rwanda ("the She-Wasps") and the decidedly daring choice for Malawi - "the Scorchers".

Comment

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1562877020060520453?t=aiJsqVL861bVNkJtmwB_rg&s=19

Comment

I'm amazed the ref decided to let play go for so long. The Ramble did a special about animal pitch invasions last week; it's useless. 90% is just about animals, as if they all wished they could be zoologists instead of hosts of a football podcast.

Comment

A question which maybe imp or Stumpy Pepys, among others, may be able to answer: what legal options are there for watching foreign leagues on German telly and how easy are not-completely legal workarounds?

Comment

Universities tend to be extremely fertile grounds for workarounds . . .

Comment

Working...
                                                    X