Random football thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random football thread

Is there one? Should there be one? Just for stuff not really deserving its own thread, like.

So who is the current longest-serving coach//manager anywhere in the world in whatever category of football? This isn't a quiz as I don't know the answer.

Also, my club has got ten points from four games, but my mentality is to view these points as insurance against relegation. Do any other fans here share this mindset?

My half an eye on my club always views the first forty points as relegation avoiders. They could be top for the first half of the season and that's all that would matter. It's a sad indictment of modern football, I suppose.

Is there a word for the disappointment you feel when you've spent ages answering a question for The Knowledge and not only do they not print your answer but those questions never get printed answers..?

Comment

40 points of course is only a relegation avoider in the top flight. Below that it's 50.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
        Is there a word for the disappointment you feel when you've spent ages answering a question for The Knowledge and not only do they not print your answer but those questions never get printed answers..?
        Not sure about a word but did you write via email or twitter? I fancy the latter is more popular in media circles.

Comment

I think that\s for short comments etc though. I can't imagine a full response to a Knowledge question would fit on 1, 2 or even 3 tweets

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
            Don't ask me, I'm two for two. Three for three if you include asking the questions. Emailing them seems to work just fine for me.

Comment

By e-mail, and maybe they just hate my thoroughness?

Because this is the random thread, here are those submissions:

The Knowledge, July 22nd 2020

“Basaksehir has claimed their first ever Turkish Super League title which makes them 4th Istanbul club to get it alongside with Galatasaray, Fenerbahce & Besiktas. Curious, are there any different city or cities presenting 4 or more champion clubs same as Istanbul?” asks Intigam Ismailov.
              What a perfect exercise for a lazy morning at work! In terms of European leagues, plenty have had more than four champions from one city, with these being the frontrunners:

Vienna (9) - Rapid, Austria, First, Wiener SK, Floridsdorfer, Wiener AF, Wiener AC, Hakoah, Admira
              Copenhagen (9) - KB, FC Kĝbenhavn, Brĝndby, AB, B 93, B 1903, Frem, Hvidovre, Lyngby
              Bucharest (8) - Steaua, Dinamo, Venus, Rapid, Colentina, Olympia, Romano-Americana, Unirea Tricolor
              Yerevan (7) - Ararat, Pyunik, Yerevan, Ulisses, Banants, Alashkert, Ararat-Armenia
              Helsinki (7) - HJK, HPS, HIFK, Kiffen, PUS, Unitas, HT
              Paris (7) - PSG, Standard AC, RC Paris, Club Francais, CA Paris, Gallia, Stade Francais
              Budapest (7) - Ferencvaros, MTK, Ujpest, Honved, Vasas, Csepel, Budapesti TC
              Luxembourg City (7) - Spora, Union, Avenir Beggen, Aris Bonnevoie, Sporting Club, Racing Club, Hollerich Bonnevoie
              Dublin (7) - Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Bohemians, St Patricks Athletic, Drumcondra, St James' Gate, Dolphin
              Further to my last e-mail, another lazy morning has turned up the South American results:

Buenos Aires (12) - River Plate, Boca Juniors,San Lorenzo, Alumni, Huracan, Belgrano Atheltic, Argentinos Juniors, Ferro Carril Oeste, Chacarita Juniors, Old Caledonians, Sportivo Barracas, St Andrew's

Lima (15) - Universitario, Alianza Lima, Sporting Cristal, Deportivo Municipal, Universidad San Martín, Mariscal Sucre, Lima Cricket, Sport Progreso, Sport José Gálvez, Jorge Chávez, Centro Iqueño, Defensor Lima, San Agustín, Juan Bielovucic, Sport Inca

Caracas (18) - Caraca, Unión, Dos Caminos, Deportivo Italia, Centro Atlético, Deportivo Galicia, Deportivo Portugués, Marítimo, Deportivo Venezuela, Loyola , Universidad Central, La Salle, América, Litoral, Venzóleo, Banco Obrero, Unión Deportiva Canarias, Vasco

The Knowledge, May 19th 2021

“Arsenal have managed to finish a top-flight men’s season in every position except 15th. Are there any teams in the world who have finished in every place of the same division?” asks Graham Clayton.
              Despite Graham Clayton's claim, Arsenal have never finished a top flight season in 21st or 22nd place, as well as the missing 15th.

Aston Villa were the first team to have finished in every position in the top flight (completing the lot in 1995), and also secured positions 1-5 in the second division.

Blackburn and Derby were next to do it, in 1999, and Chelsea have done the same but didn't complete their top division set until 2004, as did Spurs (2006).

Leicester also finished in every position with their 5th place in 2020 and also have done the top 19 in the second division.

The following are only missing one place: Burnley (13th), Everton (21st), Man City (22nd), Man Utd (20th), Newcastle (22nd), Sheff Utd (3rd), Sunderland (22nd) & Wolves (19th). Only Burnley can complete the pack this year. (they didn't)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                40 points of course is only a relegation avoider in the top flight.
                35 points would’ve been enough in each of the past five seasons.

Comment

This is random...

https://twitter.com/AgainstLeague3/status/1435241312836591616?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    This surely breaks some laws, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      Is there one? Should there be one? Just for stuff not really deserving its own thread, like.

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...otball-edition

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Thanks! Though that's mundane whereas mine is random...

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

This surely breaks some laws, no?
                          Definitely not in the US, perhaps not in the UK. Perhaps yes in the EU.

Comment

Some of the comments in the tweet seem to suggest some employment laws are being broken.

Comment

A personal random thing. My Dad used to go and watch a non-league team that played on the outskirts of Shrewsbury sometimes. (Enough times that he had a scarf) I've just seen a list of teams from Shropshire playing in the FA Cup 1st qualifying round and that team is one of them. It's made me feel a bit sad.

Comment

I was in Sainsbury's today...

Comment

The Arsenal ones should really be at the bottom.

Comment

And have a soft centre.

Comment

One of the best accounts on Twitter

https://twitter.com/nonleaguedogs/status/1437105096819675138?s=19

Comment

Wrong thread - the chocolate made me think it was normal Mundane, not football Mundane
                                        Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 12-09-2021, 18:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          I was in Sainsbury's today...

Great to see all the greats covered there - Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Birmingham...

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                            The Arsenal ones should really be at the bottom.
                                            Potential for a league ladder of chocolate bars on this display. Cadbury missed a trick there.

Comment

Evidently Messi's kids will attend this school:

https://www.asparis.org/about-asp/message-from-the-head

From the fees page, this bit jumped out at me:

"The Application fee is € 1,400 per child.
                                              This is a mandatory fee paid at the time of application to the school. It is not refundable even if the child is not accepted at ASP."

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post

Great to see all the greats covered there - Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Birmingham...
                                                I've seen these in my local Sainsbury but never paid attention to the display box- from a cursory glance it appeared to be Arsenal Chelsea Liverpool and Man Utd, i.e. all the teams except Man City that anyone could possibly be interested in, and Arsenal. Is this a particular West Midlands edition? Villa, Blues, Wolves, Spurs (for the Nuno fans?) and is that WBA nestling near the bottom? I can't make it out for certain.

(Edit: yes it is, I should have looked more closely at the top of the box!)

Comment

Is there somewhere on the internet that shows average finishing positions of clubs the season after promotion all across the English pro game? Beyond even?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X