Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
    Davies misses a sitter for Canada.

Massive cultural misconception from me here, but I imagined the Canadian side to be 11 Owen Hargreaves, strong European-ish looking rugged men, but half the team are black.. Am I just completely ignorant about the current ethnic diversity of Canada?
    Canada is pretty diverse, with whites now minorities in both Greater Toronto and Greater Vancouver. But the bulk of recent immigration is Chinese/Indian, groups which tend not to play soccer much. Country is about 5% black, mostly Caribbean in origin though we have had a fair bit of immigration from Africa in the last 15 years (hence Davies, Laryea). Black Canadians make up a much higher proportion of our football, basketball and track teams.

(Another point not often-remarked on...over half of this team is from Toronto. Eustaquio and Vitoria were born there, Buchanan, Laryea, Osorio, and Kaye grew up there. The rest of the country doesn;t get much of a look-in - Crepeau, Piette and Johnson are from Quebec, Davies from Edmonton, David from Ottawa. In large part it's about which parts of the country have facilities allowing play through the winter)

Comment

About a third of the country lives in the Golden Horseshoe, so half isn’t so surprising.

Comment

It's about a quarter, I think. 9M out of 36M.

This recent-ish imbalance is maybe more noticeable because on the women's side it's the west coast (where you can actually play outdoors 12 months/year) which is usually over-represented.
        Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 08-10-2021, 04:26.

Comment

That’s right. I think it was “southern Ontario” that has a third. I saw a map.

Comment

The game has been stopped due to homophobic chanting,
            How long for and did it stop after?

Comment

Missed the game unfortunately, That's a big result for Canada, I can't remember the last time they got anything at Azteca (now some bright spark will tell me it was last year!) Herdman's done well, but much of this improvement is down to the emergence of International quality players throughout the team. That's never happened before.

Comment

1980 Amor

1-1 due to a Gerry Gray fee kick

Only yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

How long for and did it stop after?
                  It was a 2-minute break with players in the centre-circle. After that the stadium officials started playing a very loud chant of "Mexico!" every time there was a Canada goal kick to drown out any possible chanting.

This game was supposed to have been behind closed doors because of chanting at previous games, but they got a suspended sentence based on future good behaviour. In theory, that sentence will now be re-instated (and possibly added to), meaning at least one of Mexico's upcoming matches will be behind closed doors.

Comment

The established protocol requires at least one warning, so it wouldn't have been the first instance in the match

The players must be sick of these muppets by now

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                      the stadium officials started playing a very loud chant of "Mexico!" every time there was a Canada goal kick to drown out any possible chanting.
                      Covering up crimes in/before the act, as it were. I hope the Mexican players and officials have spoken out.

Comment

They have started to take it more seriously

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-mexicos...175157271.html

Comment

Easy 3-0 win for Mexico this evening against a poor Honduras side reduced to 10 men for much of the second half. This is the 3rd time I've watched Mexico now, and I've come to the conclusion that Gerardo Martino isn't a very good manager, despite the impressive list of teams managed on his CV. Mexico just don't seem to have a tactic or game plan other than cross it in the box and hope Jiminez or Fines Mori gets on the end of it, which they rarely do.

Comment

El Salvador vs Mexico is currently a very heated affair. Both teams kicking lumps our of each other, spurred on by a capacity crowd throwing countless missiles, many of which are full bottles, at the Mexican players. Mexico look the more dangerous when football is actually allowed to be played amongst the elbows, kneww and studs flying - ah, 0-1 Mexico as I type, Hector Moreno with a strong header from a corner.

I watched the USA v Cost Rica game earlier, Costa Rica were awful, got an early goal then parked the bus, thankfully the more creative and skilful US team got the equaliser and then the winner. Weston McKennie seems a decent player, is he a regular for Juventus?

What's the general opinion about the Outlaw supporters (are they Ultras)? They had the usual collection of current Ultra songs, but they all sounded a bit squeaky clean, like Disney Ultras.

Comment

I don’t think the second goal should be an own goal. Weah deserves credit for smashing it from point blank range.

I haven’t seen the US live since the Outlaws came into being. Before that it was Sam’s Army. I don’t know why they didn’t become the “official” supporters club.

Comment

El Salvador go down to 10 men, professional foul on the edge of the area on Funes Mori, very silly by the El Salvador defender as the odds of Funes Mori scoring are typically slim.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  I don’t think the second goal should be an own goal. Weah deserves credit for smashing it from point blank range.

I haven’t seen the US live since the Outlaws came into being. Before that it was Sam’s Army. I don’t know why they didn’t become the “official” supporters club.
                                  Yeah, cruel on Weah, but it was the keeper who put it in the net.

I found the Outlaws interesting, from afar, US football supporters appear young, multicutural, left of centre and internationalist, as in, they want to embrace cultures and habits largely rejected by stereotypical Americans.. The Outlaw songs were patriotic, but shied away from the YOU-ESS-AYE stuff, you could see they were trying to do something different, but it was a bit contrived.

Comment

I mentioned this earlier, but Hector Herrera's plastic surgery really is impressive. I'd never say he was ugly before, but he looked about 25 years older than he was. He must have had his ears pinned back, nose job and a bit of work on his jaw. Looks fantastic. I don't like many Porto players, but always liked him, typical hardworking midfielder with all the strings to his bow.

Jesus Corona, on the other hand, horrible aggressive Porto player.
                                    Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 14-10-2021, 03:29.

Comment

And now Araujo send off for Mexico, straight red, but he already had a yellow. He tried to gouge both eyes our of an El Salvador player as he showed him a clean pair of heels.

The amount of full bottles being thrown onto the pitch is very intimidating, the penalty area during corners looks like a series of small explosions every 2 or 3 seconds, Ochoa is complaining now about it. someone is going to get hurt.

Comment

I watched the USA v Cost Rica game earlier, Costa Rica were awful, got an early goal then parked the bus, thankfully the more creative and skilful US team got the equaliser and then the winner. Weston McKennie seems a decent player, is he a regular for Juventus?

What's the general opinion about the Outlaw supporters (are they Ultras)? They had the usual collection of current Ultra songs, but they all sounded a bit squeaky clean, like Disney Ultras.
                                        Sometimes, and Disney ultras, are the quick answers.

Comment

Jamaica won in Honduras for the first time.

Comment

Gramsci was at Canada's dismantling of Panama.

Canadians are starting to believe.

Comment

Y'all are going to want to watch this one four or five times.

Comment

And here's the rest of the highlights.

But it misses the best part which was Doneil Henry - who was not even playing - provoking not one but two bench-clearing confrontations just by...well, CONCACAFing. It was goddamn hilarious watching the Panamanians complain about it.

Refereeing was terrible though. Waved off three stone-cold penalties for Canada.

But yes, we believe. We've played away to both of the top two. The other top two have not yet played us or each other away. Legit, we could come top of this qualifying group.

(not the likeliest outcome, obviously. but imaginable)
                                                Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 14-10-2021, 13:21.

Comment

Ah, Phonzie! We barely knew you but we'll love you forever.

Comment

Cathal Kelly's view:

"Harold Cummings. That’s the name of the Panamanian Davies took the ball from. Poor Harold. For the rest of his life, his countrymen will be coming up to him in bars and saying, ‘Heeeey, aren’t you the guy …’ And Harold will say, ‘No, you’re thinking of some other Cummings’."

"If Davies were Panamanian, he could run for president tomorrow. But he’s Canadian, so we’ll wait to see how this turns out before the rest of us get too excited."
                                                    Though soccer (the men’s version) has never proved to be a good bet during anyone’s lifetime, now is the time to get on the Canadian bandwagon

Comment

Working...
                                                    X