CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

Yeah, cruel on Weah, but it was the keeper who put it in the net.

I found the Outlaws interesting, from afar, US football supporters appear young, multicutural, left of centre and internationalist, as in, they want to embrace cultures and habits largely rejected by stereotypical Americans.. The Outlaw songs were patriotic, but shied away from the YOU-ESS-AYE stuff, you could see they were trying to do something different, but it was a bit contrived.
    I don't like that's how the rule works. I'd prefer it be like hockey where if you created the energy that eventually carried the puck into the net and nobody on your own team deflected it, you get credit for the goal.

Everything about US soccer is a bit contrived because we're rushing to catch-up to the rest of the world which, more or less, had a 100 year head start.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
      Though soccer (the men’s version) has never proved to be a good bet during anyone’s lifetime, now is the time to get on the Canadian bandwagon
      Here's the thing: just go position-by-position and see if there is a Canadian from any earlier era who would break into the first XI of this team. I think at a minimum you're looking at 8 out of the current 11 being the all-time best., and in several cases the second-best in that position is on the squad too. They are just crazy good, and a delight to watch.

Comment

The only Canadian top flight footballers I remember are Craig Forrest and Owen Hargreaves, one of whom never played for Canada.

Comment

Also Paul Peschisolido, of course.

Comment

Did he ever play in the top flight? Remember him as consistently a 2nd tier player although simply by laws of probability he might well have ended up in a promoted side

Comment

The only top flight football Peschisolido ever played was four seasons with Toronto Blizzard in the Canadian Soccer League at the start of his career. In England he only ever played in the second tier, aside from his first two seasons with Fulham and his final few games at Luton, all of which were in the third tier.

Comment

Tomas Radzinski and Paul Staltieri spring to mind. There were a few others I think, David Edgar and Jim Brennan maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post

Here's the thing: just go position-by-position and see if there is a Canadian from any earlier era who would break into the first XI of this team. I think at a minimum you're looking at 8 out of the current 11 being the all-time best., and in several cases the second-best in that position is on the squad too. They are just crazy good, and a delight to watch.
                  They are fun to watch most of the time, I agree. I'm not sure how well they'll hold up defensively should they make the finals though, the 86 squad could make a case for being better in that department. Mind you if they manage to score a goal, it'll still be the best Canadian WC performance of all time

Comment

Junior Hoilett. Frank Yallop.

Comment

West Brom were in Division One during Carl Valentine's tenure there (44 appearances)

Comment

Hoilett's in the current squad though, so doesn't pass Gramsci's criteria.

Comment

Hoilett's in the current squad though, so doesn't pass Gramsci's criteria.
                          I was adding to the Canadian footballers who had played in the English top flight list.

Comment

And cheating slightly, Jimmy Nicholl.

Comment

Tomas Radzinski and Paul Staltieri spring to mind. There were a few others I think, David Edgar and Jim Brennan maybe?
                              Stalteri *might* get in the team but first 11? Would you pick him over either Johnson or Laryea?
                              Radzinski wouldn't start ahead of either David or Larin. Might be 3rd on the depth chart.
                              Forrest - In the squad, yes. Ahead of Crepeau for sure, but Borjan?
                              DeVos, perhaps? Randy Samuel? we could use one more solid CB.
                              DeRo? De Guzman? Again, for sure in the squad but who in the starting line-up would they displace?

I think that's it. Would have to go back to the 86 team and take a look at them again, but I don't recall any of them being especially good. One of our key strikers worked full-time as a meter-reader in Victoria.
                              Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 15-10-2021, 16:18.

Comment

Valentine was genuinely good, but likely wouldn't start.

Same with Lenarduzzi (though he has a very limited body of work against serious competition).

But I think that is generally true of non-Mexico CONCACAF players of that era. Ricky Davis wouldn't be in a US squad now

Comment

I've long assumed that soccer is the second-most popular sport in Canada and they will be consistently the second or third best team in CONCACAF. The weather hinders grass-roots development outside the big cities, though, I guess.

I think that's it. Would have to go back to the 86 team and take a look at them again, but I don't recall any of them being especially good. One of our key strikers worked full-time as a meter-reader in Victoria.
                                  I recall that as late as 1994, I assumed that anyone with a US passport that was getting paid anything at all to play full-field 11-a-side outdoor soccer anywhere on the planet would play for our national team. That might have been overstating it, but not by much.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post

Stalteri *might* get in the team but first 11? Would you pick him over either Johnson or Laryea?
                                    Radzinski wouldn't start ahead of either David or Larin. Might be 3rd on the depth chart.
                                    Forrest - In the squad, yes. Ahead of Crepeau for sure, but Borjan?
                                    DeVos, perhaps? Randy Samuel? we could use one more solid CB.
                                    DeRo? De Guzman? Again, for sure in the squad but who in the starting line-up would they displace?

It's always difficult/impossible to back project who might, or might not, blossom in today's football world. Fitness regimes, and training methods are so different, as are players' aspirations. I always considered Radzinski a better player than he showed for Canada, but he basically wasn't really interested in international football, or playing here. Kind of like Hargreaves. Back in '86 Carl Shearer was an excellent young full back, but saw more future in completing his medical degree, than in football. He eventually became the team doctor.

Comment

We had Carlo Corazzin for a couple of years. He never played in the EPL and no idea how he rates in the list of Canadian strikers though he played a fair few games for the national team.

Comment

He is remembered fondly, and was better than Peschisolido, but he wouldn't get near this starting XI.

Comment

Mexico gets 2 home games without fans as punishment for the chant, and Jamaica will have some fans against the US.

Comment

Mexico deserves a red for trying to pull off Aaronson’s nose.

Weah to Pulisic. 1-0.

Mckennie! Dos a cero.

Comment

Not the greatest game for Canada, but we'll take it.

Theoretical possibility that come Wednesday morning, Canada will be top of the group and Mexico fourth.

Forecast for kickoff on Tuesday: -7C, wind of 20km/h.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed that dos a cero.

Balls out from the opening kick off to the very end from both teams. Took a home game v. Mexico for USA to take it seriously and play their asses off.

Comment

I tried to watch it, but fell asleep on the sofa at half-time. Litte Senorita stev9e really got the better of me yesterday.

Mexico's defence is awful, just a load of bruisers from the Liga MX. I find it incredible that Mexico can't produce a better team given the popularity and infrastructure for football here. Lozano and Herrera are their only decent players, Corona is too much of a loose cannon and I've never rated Raul Jiminez. Looking forward to the game against Canada, on one hand, I'm hoping they get exposed, on the other, it is always more enjoyable to watch a WC if the country you live in is represented.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1459375034934431751?t=_x3JCRTW9BM5l3romsvRew&s=19

Top from-the-bench troll work. 10/10.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X