2014 World Cup Qualifying - CONMEBOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if a thread was started already, I couldn't find one on search.

With Colombia's 3-1 demolition in Chile yesterday, the Colombians have 18 goals in 7 games. They are second to Argentina.

A bit of a surprise is Paraguay, who out of 9 teams - including Venezuela, Bolivia, and Peru - are in 9th place with 4 points in 7 games after losing 2-0 to Venezuela yesterday. It appears we will not be looking at Larissa Riquelme's cellphone in two years.

This Colombia team, like Belgium, seems to have been tipped as full of potential without ever showing it in the last two years. Perhaps with this win following on from a 4-0 v Uruguay, they're finally starting to look good.

Comment

jasoń voorhees wrote: With Colombia's 3-1 demolition in Chile yesterday, the Colombians have 18 goals in 7 games.
      No they haven't. They've scored 12.

There's another thread somewhere, but I'll find it when I'm sober.

Comment

Allright, allright, easy does it. There's a reason I'm not on Soccernet.

Comment

Wow.

"Kelly on South America".

Need to start clearing space on your mantel for the Pulitzer, Sam.

Comment

Is it time for me to revive this thread yet?

I lost a lot of respect for AB2 in that thread.

Comment

Tbf AB2 acknowledged that he thought Falcao was world class on that Super Cup thread last week.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote: Is it time for me to revive this thread yet?

I lost a lot of respect for AB2 in that thread.
                Hahahahaha. Just be thankful that I kept my own counsel a few months later when Colombia expired in a puddle of their own piss at the Copa America . . .

Colombia are obviously a decent side with an outstanding centre-forward and, at this early stage, are on course to get to the tournament (especially given that Paraguay, who usually grab one of the Conmebol slots, are seemingly dead on arrival already; and that Brazil, who always grab one, aren't a factor this time). It's a very vast, long, clear blue ocean between that and putting money on them to win the whole thing, though.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Wow.

"Kelly on South America".

Need to start clearing space on your mantel for the Pulitzer, Sam.
                  I'll have to buy a mantelpiece first.

Here's the original thread, by the way.

Comment

When the quarantine first started I figured I would just catch up on some recent games I missed (2020 CONMEBOL Olympics qualifiers, Ecuadoran league playoffs from 2019, etc.). Now that things have extended I've been bouncing around with the football I have been watching. WC 2014 was a good tournament for CONMEBOL sides, with most (all?) of the sides making it to the knockout rounds. So, I've been including one or two qualifiers for 2014 in my nightly viewing. I'm only up to Round 3, Match 3 (Colombia-Venezuela). Last night's viewing was a thriller: Uruguay-Chile (4-0---Suarez with three goal. The scoreline not fully reflecting Chile's qualities since they had a goal waived off for off-side that would have made it 2-1 and Chile had the momentum.

Removing Brazil from qualifying meant every side playing every round, whereas CONMEBOL normally has one team with a bye per round.

Anyway, I've buried the lede. The reason for this post is that I was shocked to see how tattoo-less the Chile side was in 2011. As has often been discussed among OTFers, this is a national team that seem unified in covering every visible inch with ink. I will report back if those tattoo goals were achieved by the time the qualifiers ended.
                    Last edited by danielmak; 09-05-2020, 04:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X