No announcement yet.

Europa League Group Stages 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray de Galles As it shall forever be known, "The Rashford/Sancho Gambit".

Comment

It's a bit incongruous that the stadium speaker chooses to blast the Black Eyed Peas having the feeling that tonight's gonna be a good good night, while BT Sports interviews a revolving cast of sad Scotsmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Has bringing on subs to take penalties ever worked?
        Two of Frankfurt's scorers came on in extra time, whether the coach brought them on for penalty prowess.

A Google brings up a FourFourTwo article written in the Sancho/Rushford aftermath, which suggests that only West Germany (Littbarski, 1986) and Germany (Strunz, 1996) have successfully brought on late subs in major tournaments who scored.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...outs-ever-work

For goalkeeper's, Tim Krul's shithousery was successfully deployed by Holland, but Kepa spectacularly failed in the league cup final earlier this year.

Comment

It lacked conviction.

In my book, if you are going to hit down the middle, you either have to hit it hard or loop it like a classic Panenka.

Otherwise the risk of hitting a trailing foot materially hurts your chances of scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Two of Frankfurt's scorers came on in extra time, whether the coach brought them on for penalty prowess.

Their last sub was on 105 minutes, that's not players being brought on solely for penalties.

Comment

I think statistically you are more likely to score if you hit it down the middle but when you don't score you look like a really shit penalty taker.

Comment

I saw these tweets just as McCoist was coming out with the idea that there was no keeper in the world better on penalties than MacGregor :

https://twitter.com/leandinhodk/status/1527042185014792193?s=21&t=LTQy4O-ZQ3E6YYf1JOMn3A

Comment

Going back a whopping four days, Ross Barkley? Chelsea lost but you can't put the blame on him. His was the best penalty of the lot.

Comment

Ross Barclay scored emphatically for Chelsea after coming on to take a penalty in the FA Cup Final <checks notes> 5 days ago.

Comment

Nobody's saying every last minute sub will miss their penalty, just that it seems a big risk. The article jwdd links to seems to back that up.

Comment

Anyway, commiserations to AMMS and the other Rangers fans on here and congratulations to imp.

Comment

Yes, I will commiserate with all the Gers on here and in my family.

Tho I wanted imp's boys to win and was somewhat perplexed by the comments on here that Rangers had somehow had the better of the 1st half...stat on screen just before h-t had Frankfurt 10-1 ahead on attempts at goal

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            Anyway, commiserations to AMMS and the other Rangers fans on here and congratulations to imp.
                            Isn't imp also slightly Rangers? In which case commiserations to him also.

Comment

What a crushing night in the end. At first, I commented that losing 2-0 in 08 was easier than the dreadful feeling of just missing out especially with Kent's big chance at the end.

However, I am glad that I got to experience the sensation of seeing Aribo through on goal and then opening the scoring. What a moment that was.

I thought we did fine in the match and finished stronger but I think Frankfurt were a bit better in the 90. I also think we got fortunate twice. Lundstram could easily have seen red early on and Goldson definitely conceded a penalty. When we scored after that I thought it was our night but it wasn't to be.

Comment

Has anyone done a stat on whether keepers over their careers save a higher percentage of regular time pens than shoot-out pens?

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                  What a crushing night in the end. At first, I commented that losing 2-0 in 08 was easier than the dreadful feeling of just missing out especially with Kent's big chance at the end.

However, I am glad that I got to experience the sensation of seeing Aribo through on goal and then opening the scoring. What a moment that was.

I thought we did fine in the match and finished stronger but I think Frankfurt were a bit better in the 90. I also think we got fortunate twice. Lundstram could easily have seen red early on and Goldson definitely conceded a penalty. When we scored after that I thought it was our night but it wasn't to be.
                                  Rangers fans really let themselves and us down last night. I could barely sleep when I went to bed last night, and this morning I rushed downstairs to see what social media santa had left for me, I expected to be tripping over giant nuggets of video gold, of rangers fans falling into bins, headbutting lamposts, and drowning a city in pee. But so far, next to nothing.

What happened? Did they listen to Graeme souness and the boys?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                    I'll keep saying it - engravers using stencils is cheating.
                                    As one who prides himself on his calligraphic skills, I'd agree with that under normal circumstances - but for a one-minute turnaround, we can probably let it go...

Comment

I desperately want Rangers to lose all the time, and am glad they lost last night, but I did find myself warming to them a bit last night. There wasn't really a great deal between the sides and it was such a Proper European Final in one of the world's great atmospheric mid-ranking stadiums (and cities) that you just kind of felt pleased for everyone present that they were there. Not a great game but it felt like it meant something.

And looks like there was a little bit of plastic-chair-tennis in the city (and I'm sure plenty of the usual horrible songs got sung) but didn't seem too widespread.

Comment

Originally posted by AMMS View Post
                                        I've not been this excited about anything since Christmas eve 1978.
                                        I know you're probably tired and emotional and hurting right now, but I've waited 17 hours to ask - what were you expecting for Christmas 1978 and did you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Rangers fans really let themselves and us down last night. I could barely sleep when I went to bed last night, and this morning I rushed downstairs to see what social media santa had left for me, I expected to be tripping over giant nuggets of video gold, of rangers fans falling into bins, headbutting lamposts, and drowning a city in pee. But so far, next to nothing.

What happened? Did they listen to Graeme souness and the boys?
                                          Judging by how absurdly quiet they were in a stadium they dominated*, and the tweets from fans of both clubs on the complete lack of provision in the Pizjuan**, I am guessing they were all bloody knackered and probably suffering from a mix of dehydration and heatstroke. Too tired to sing, too tired to kick off.

*I heard some people claiming online that mics were being turned down, but I popped on Sportscene during the second half and they weren't making any bloody noise there either

**Eintracht fans were claiming zero open concessions on their end, while Rangers fans were claiming there was one bar selling beer and a poorly stocked concession selling soft drinks and sweets that ran out in the first half.

Comment

The Waldstadion looked to be the place to be last night

https://twitter.com/ftamsut/status/1527046059880501249?s=21&t=RNf5kHFvCAsTRQuJ8uLSVw
                                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 19-05-2022, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Isn't imp also slightly Rangers? In which case commiserations to him also.
                                              I think imp is Rangers and ashamed, a bit like voting Tory.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                My grandmother used to call my grandad Tim because his surname was Healey. They, and their immediate ancestors were born in Yorkshire...
                                                Where's Shorty Medlocke, formerly (and occasionally) of this parish when you need him?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  The Waldstadion looked to be the place to be last night

https://twitter.com/ftamsut/status/1527046059880501249?s=21&t=RNf5kHFvCAsTRQuJ8uLSVw
                                                  I've been really impressed with how Frankfurt have taken this competition in the past few seasons. Rangers as well for that matter. It puts most English clubs to shame as its seen as a bit of a hindrance, not something that's there to be won, until they get to the later stages at least. Incidentally, I saw a few Eintracht Frankfurt stickers on lamp posts near here. I'm guessing it was from when they played West Ham and their supporters hadn't realised that the German pub near me is no longer a German pub.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                                    I desperately want Rangers to lose all the time, and am glad they lost last night, but I did find myself warming to them a bit last night.
                                                    Beware of a slippery slope... this time next year you'll be leading the sing song at their Linfield friendly

Comment

Working...
                                                    X