"Get yer trousers on, you're picked": Matchgoing 20-26 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Get yer trousers on, you're picked": Matchgoing 20-26 August

Friday sees my first trip to a Walton & Hersham match since last October (where I had the pleasure of meeting Ray de Galles), for the FA Cup Preliminary Round tie at Waterside Drive vs Guildford City, nicknamed the Sweeney because their colours are red and white - like a barber's pole, see?

There could be a few exchanges of "SHUT IT!" as the teams had a tense encounter last season in the FA Vase, with the Swans progressing on penalties, and they'll face each other again next week in the League (Step 5). Having climbed a rung of the pyramid W&H have started the season with four wins out of four, and Guildford are reportedly a big-budget team for this level.

The fixture has been moved to Friday because Walton Casuals have first dibs on the ground for Saturday, although this may well bump up our crowd to around 300.
    Last edited by irony towers; 20-08-2021, 09:12.

Will they be playing a much slower version of the tune they run out to as the teams leave the pitch at the end?

Comment

I shall have some free time in south-east London tomorrow, so am planning to attend a game in Division 1 of the oddly-named Southern Counties East League - Bridon Ropes v Lydd Town at Charlton Park.

Comment

I've got a twofer planned for tomorrow. It's a 2pm kick off for Grange Albion v Monmouth Town in the FAW Trophy followed by Barry Town v Bala Town (5.15 KO as it's live on S4C).

No midweek game for Grange next week but I might catch another local game with my mate who is moving away in a couple of weeks, if he can spare an evening.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
          nicknamed the Sweeney because their colours are red and white - like a barber's pole, see?
          Hmmm, I'm only inclined to allow that if they have diagonal stripes

Comment

We arrived for 6 nights at the in laws in North Norfolk yesterday. I'm aiming for Fakenham Town's FA Cup tie with Bury Town on Saturday and if we get back from Tuesday's activity in time I hope to catch an Anglian Combination match at Wells Town as well. Unusually for grass roots football they have floodlights at their ground so there shouldn't be the issues with fading light that others on here have witnessed recently.

Comment

Alcester Town Juniors U11 v Tewkesbury Town Pumas U11

My boys have their second, and last, pre-season friendly tomorrow morning as I'm away next weekend so they've got the weekend off.

We've never played Alcester before, but they beat Tewkesbury Town Panthers U11 last week so will be a tough game. We're about on par with the Panthers.

After the disaster of last week, we're starting a new keeper tomorrow so hopefully he works as well as he has done before. He'll only have a half in goal though before our regular number 1 goes in at half-time. Training on Wednesday was upbeat and we're starting to see some nice intricate play among the boys. We also play Alcester in the league this season, so it will be a good test.

Now, if I can just get a volunteer from the parents to run the line.....
              Last edited by Simon G; 20-08-2021, 21:27. Reason: Edit - Got the Alcester team name wrong

Comment

I'd been thinking of going to that game at Walton & Hersham tonight too but things have come up that preclude it. I've always been a bit bemused by Guildford City's nickname so glad to have that cleared up.

In a weekend of dashed plans my hopes of seeing speedway tomorrow evening at either Eastbourne or Leicester preceded by an FA Cup tie local to a meeting have been crushed by a cancellation at the former (due to financial issues, ominously) and an awful weather forecast at the latter.

As it stands, it looks like I'll just try to do an FA Cup tie near to me tomorrow- probably Farnham Town v Spelthorne Sports. I may try and get to the Aylesbury United v Brimscombe & Thrupp tie on Sunday lunchtime too.

Comment

Simon G Panthers and Pumas from the same town? Please tell me there's a Jaguars as well.

Comment

No - the club is actually Tewkesbury Town Colts, but Pumas and Panthers are the other teams attached. Our age group had 3 teams last year, but the main team (Colts) folded this month due to their coach being a monumental bellend.

Comment

You wait 18 months for a competitive game of professional football in your city that you can attend, then two come along at once:

Tonight: FSV Frankfurt v Rot-Weiss Koblenz (Regionalliga Südwest)
                      Tomorrow: Eintracht v Augsburg (Bundesliga)

The ticket for the former (€21) is only five Euros cheaper than the latter. I haven't asked, but I'm assuming there are no complementary referees' tickets right now, and with clubs struggling financially - especially FSV - I'd feel a bit of a cheapskate getting a freebie at the moment.

Comment

Carlisle v Orient. Carlisle's three league games so far have been 0-0, 2-1, 0-0 so this could be the bursting of the dam and an absolute goal feast, but probably not. A dry day for me, so at least I don't need to get involved in any concourse chaos this week.

Comment

Trip to Wycombe tomorrow. Last time I was there, the Cowleys were on the verge of leaving the club, Josh Vickers had a nightmare in goal and I think let in a soft free kick and two corners.

Wycombe now putting on free coaches (for trial period) from station to ground - game changer.
                          Last edited by RobW; 20-08-2021, 13:15.

Comment

Sunday : Zilina vs Senica (Slovak league)

I can't think of anything very interesting to say about this. Senica are relegation battle perennials, but have started this season relatively well, with a win and three draws from their four games. Zilina's 100% league record ended with a defeat at newly-promoted Liptovsky Mikulas last weekend, then they were outclassed by Jablonec last night, so they need a bit of a reset.

Thursday : Zilina vs Jablonec (Conference League Play-off)

The tie is all over with Zilina 1-5 down after last night's first leg.

Comment

Liptovsky Mikulas. Poetry from Mitteleuropa.

Comment

QPR v Barnsley

I swore I would stop going to QPR as we always lose. My fourteen year old wants to go though, so I'm taking him so he can learn a life lesson about unavoidable fate.

And before Amor points out that Barnsley have won the last two meetings at Loftus Road, I'll just mention that no one was there to see it and verify if it did actually happen, and our goal scorers from those games are all playing for someone else now (except Carlton Morris, who's injured).

Comment

Billy Casper

Are you going to still try and make a 3pm kick-off too?

Comment

Taking 'er indoors with me to Weymouth tomorrow so she can shop and pootle and I get to watch Weymouth v Boreham( _)Wood while she buys Christmas presents (I kid you not).

On Tuesday I get to tick off the 92 again as I've managed to get a ticket to Brentford v Forest Green in the Carabao Cup, which is handy for a pub meal in Kew beforehand as my girlfriend has had to go back to working in her office near Twickenham after having remote working refused on appeal. Quite the commute from Walthamstow where she's been living since last March. She had an interview this morning, got offered a job at lunchtime and resigned this afternoon. Today has been a very good day all round, although she is less than impressed about having to get the 08:35 from Waterloo in the morning...
                                    Last edited by The Mighty Trin; 20-08-2021, 21:41.

Comment

I'm spending the next week camping on the outskirts of Eastbourne, but made the majority of the journey today which allowed me to take in Walton & Hersham v Guildford. Good game which got a bit feisty at times. 2-0 win for the home side in front of a big crowd - I haven't seen a figure but probably somewhere between 4 and 500.

Planning to go to another FA Cup tie tomorrow, with Newhaven v Jersey Bulls my first choice. Sunday's game is Women's National League South at Chichester & Selsey.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it, Southport Zeb. In 40 years of following W&H I've rarely seen us play with such strength, organisation and purpose. As you say, there was enough needle to make next week's League match an interesting prospect.

A personal sub-plot is that the match allowed me to reconnect with my brother, who had been totally out of contact with any of the family for seven years until our paths crossed at my previous game last October. This time I invited him to join us for Christmas, and he accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          Billy Casper

Are you going to still try and make a 3pm kick-off too?
                                          I still don't know. Thanks for the list of games though. We've narrowed it down to Hanwell Town but it depends on how depressed we feel at the end of Barnsley's match.

Comment

AFC Liverpool 2-3 Bootle (FA Cup Preliminary round)

AFCL are playing a few early season games in exile at Skelmersdale's JMO Sports Park whilst their regular ground share venue (Marine) has a new artificial surface laid. A very good gate of 406 for this local derby, both sides having been promoted in the summer, Bootle to Step 4 for the first time in the history of this incarnation of the club and AFCL to Step 5, from which they'd been relegated only a couple of years previously. Encouragingly, about half the crowd were in their teens and twenties, not the ageing crowd of regulars you often see at games at this level.

Bootle took the lead with a close range header in the first minute, and before the non-league Reds had really regained their composure, their goalie spilled the ball in the clumsy, despairing manner of a waiter stumbling to drop a tray of all-day breakfasts in Wetherspoons and Bootle were left with a tap in for 2-0.

After that AFCL grew into the game and were playing some crisp first time passes and running into space, and this paid off when they pulled a goal back just before HT. After the break they equalised through beanpole striker Dan Cockerline but I missed it as I was distracted by what I thought was the ultimate Full Kit Wanker, a bloke in ref's top with EA Sports sleeve badges, shorts, socks and boots. It turned out he was taking a break from reffing a game on an adjacent 7 a side pitch, but by then I'd missed the goal - pah!

It turned increasingly wet as the second half wore on and with 15 minutes to go Bootle finally roused themselves and started to look threatening - the memorably named Einar Joe White lobbed the keeper but saw his shot spin onto the post and back out, but with 8 mins to go a curling Bootle free kick took a glance off an unidentified defender and flew into the bottom corner to win it. Really good game, glad to have squeezed it in knowing that I can't make it to anything today.

Comment

Doing public address for Bohemian FC women against Treaty United today. The roof of the Shed End was removed for safety reasons during the week. It's where I first stood during the 70s,so the view to my left today is going to be very weird.

Comment

Alcester Town Juniors U11 15-0 Tewkesbury Town Pumas U11

A bad day at the office - we'll leave it there.

Comment

Musselburgh v Hill of Beath, HoB seem to have hit a wee bit of a hard time so that isn't a good sign.

Both sides good at giving away goals, we'll call it 5-5.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X