Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerd Muller RIP

https://twitter.com/FCBayern/status/1426868288643117059?s=20

Oh wow that feels huge. One of the first foreign players we pretended to be in the playground.

Big loss, RIP

Comment

No fucking way! That's a huge part of my childhood, partly for the reason Sits gives.

His goal ratio statistics are unmatched by any subsequent player, even Messi and Ronaldo AFAIK, and some of the gymnastics involved in his movements in the box are still extraordinary to watch. I don't think he'd been any less prolific in today's game; perhaps he'd be even more deadly, with VAR protecting him?

Comment

Agreed - while the older kids spoke of Eusebio, Müller’s and Cruijff’s were the European names making an impact on us nine-year-olds.

RIP, Der Bomber.

Comment

incredible vision and reactions

https://twitter.com/RedgmanNyc/status/1426876498108157952?s=20

Comment

That fifth goal.

Comment

What a player agree with the sentiments above, everyone wanted to be Der Bomber.

Comment

Still the finest penalty box striker I’ve ever seen. Played as a right back at Anfield in the 1971/2 ECWC and he was equally at home there.

Comment

v USSR 1972. That year's side has been rated by Barry Davies as the best ever:

Comment

Whenever I could I wore the number 13. Loved watching him play, even in 1970. Saw him live at Wembley in 1972 (the Netzer game) and he scored, of course. RIP.
                    Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 15-08-2021, 12:40.

Comment

Hugh Johns’ commentary on ITV in 1974 is virtually forgotten now, but sums him up quite well:

“Good running by Bonhof, Müller there to support him. Going there on his own, now Müller looks for it, gets it. OH, that’s the way that little man gets them! That’s how he gets it!” — Hugh Johns on ITV, 7 July 1974, for Gerd Müller’s 68th and final international goal, which just happened to win the World Cup for West Germany.

Comment

What very sad news.

Comment

Still the greatest "penalty area poacher/pure goal scorer" I have ever seen.

Sadly had been suffering from dementia for many years, one hopes that the man who brought joy to so many, but never seemed to find it himself, is now at peace.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            v USSR 1972. That year's side has been rated by Barry Davies as the best ever:

I’d agree with that. The performance at Wembley in 1972 is still one of the best displays I’ve ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                              Whenever I could I wore the number 13.
                              Same here. The greatest. RIP.

Comment

I'm devastated by this, even as I know his death is a release for him and his family. Müller was a phenomenon. 68 goals in 62 internationals is unmatched. He was kicked to pieces in every match, with very little protection from the refs. He had a way of scoring in the tiniest of spaces; he'd have handled massed defences just fine.

He was also a great guy with principles, which he stubbornly adhered to. He quit the German team after the players' wives were excluded from the official function to celebrate the World Cup win in 1974 (I think most of the German players boycotted the function; I doubt the fat fucks in suits even noticed). He stayed married to his Uschi for something like 50 years.

The way Bayern turfed him out halfway through the 1978/79 season was shameful. He was still scoring prodigiously, even if that season and the one before that not at one a game ration. Bayern made it up by giving him a job when Müller was addicted to alcohol (the club does look well after its own, it must be said. Like the mafia).

Comment

Why doesn't the search engine let me find the thread on which I keep count of dead World Cup finalists? Müller is the first of West Germany's 1974 team to go, and on;y the second in the squad (the first was Heinz Flohe).

Incidentally, this thread could have been posted in the Music forum as well, for Müller was a recording artiste.

Comment

Was wondering whether he was the only player to have scored consecutive hat-tricks at the World Cup (1970, in his case)?

(Just Fontaine scored non-consecutive hat-tricks in 1958.)

Comment

Sandor Kocsis in 54

Three against South Korea and four against West Germany in the group stage

Comment

I always felt a bit sorry for Hansi and Dieter, who were decent players in the immediate aftermath but lumbered with the great one's surname, and the (British) TV commentators would always announce the teams saying "no, it's not that one".

I didn't really know much about Gerd's health problems, although you tend to draw that conclusion when players of his era aren't featuring in tournament reviews and previews. Sadly early to decline that way, like so many of his contemporaries. RIP.

Comment

Easily my all-time favorite striker. Always able to find a way to bang it in. And as Satchmo says, no doubt he'd do well in today's game.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                            I didn't really know much about Gerd's health problems, although you tend to draw that conclusion when players of his era aren't featuring in tournament reviews and previews. Sadly early to decline that way, like so many of his contemporaries. RIP.
                                            Seconded, this is the first I'd heard of them but in context it makes clear that his departure today is perhaps an easing and a blessing in some respects, while still hugely sad in others.

A little giant of the game, one whose achievements I've seen very little of but have been hearing about since I was 11 and collecting the Orbis partwork/sticker album for Italia '90 that included so many features on the great games, goals and players of World Cups past. As I learnt right then and as everyone else has said here, he was the finisher par excellence. More even than Pelé or Puskas, Messi or Ronaldo, Gerd Müller is the player whose goalscoring ratios read like something out of age group football, except he produced them at the highest level of the domestic and international game. Amazing. RIP.

Comment

G-man, the thread is here

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...up-winner-dead

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                                I always felt a bit sorry for Hansi and Dieter, who were decent players in the immediate aftermath but lumbered with the great one's surname, and the (British) TV commentators would always announce the teams saying "no, it's not that one".
                                                The surname wasn't really much of a burden for Dieter (who had his original surname to fall back on) or Hansi (different position), since Müller is a very common surname in Germany, much as Smith is in Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Thanks, but no, not that one. The one I'm looking for lists all World Cup finals and the players who have died.

It's mysterious: I put all kinds of names of players mentioned in the OP of that thread in the search engine, but nothing comes up. And it was updated fairly recently; I think when Rob Rensenbrink died.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X