Who has won the most games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has won the most games?

There are plenty of career stats for players about games played, goals scored, and medals won. But are there any stats about which players played in the most winning sides in their careers? The object of every player at the start of every game is after all to help their side win the match. I got thinking about Messi's Barca career, which must I presume be a strong candidate, as they were regularly winning week in week out in La Liga. But then started wondering about maybe someone say in the Celtic or Rangers teams who dominated for long periods in Scotland?

Winning the most in absolute terms or as a percentage of matches played?

Comment

Both! As a per centage there'd have to be a de minimis number played, I guess, or you'll find some 100%ers like David Nugent's England career.

Comment

Surely there'd be some candidates in that Steaua team who didn't lose a league game in about four years?

Comment

Jimmy Johnstone for Celtic, perhaps, given their European consistency in that period?

Comment

The first two names that came to mind were Paolo Maldini and Dino Zoff, each of whom played a massive number of matches for clubs that were dominant domestically and more than competitive internationally. It turns out, however, that each is quite a ways down on the list of most official appearances

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_appearances

Even though Maldini had 340+ fewer appearances than Peter Shilton, he might very well have more "wins". Other contenders include Rogerio Ceni, Roberto Carlos and Xavi.

Comment

Ryan Giggs presumably chalked up a fair few wins...

Comment

Nah……. It’s too obvious.

Comment

I’m hoping that it might be some geezer from non-league, as opposed to the expected over-privileged top-flighter.

Not that those stats are likely to exist.

Comment

Ray Clemence might be above Shilton given he'd have a higher ratio of wins. Puskas would be high on ratio of wins for players with more than 500 appearances, as would Pele and Di Stefano.

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
                      Nah……. It’s too obvious.
                      I think I ken….

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        I’m hoping that it might be some geezer from non-league, as opposed to the expected over-privileged top-flighter.

Not that those stats are likely to exist.
                        It’s unlikely, I think. Because anyone at lower levels who gets lots of wins one season is likely to find themselves promoted and so see the win rate slow noticeably the next (or if they keep getting promoted, end up transferred to a higher club who wants that kind of success). Sort of like the trope about management about being continually promoted until reaching the level where you are incompetent. Whereas Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo or the like win the majority of their matches for season after season as their sides can’t go up any higher.

Comment

Aye, probably right.

Comment

Working...
                          X