Now we're starting - Matchgoing 6-12 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we're starting - Matchgoing 6-12 August

Carlisle v Colchester in the CUFC shoot out. I suspect both sides will be battling the conditions and that we may find that football is not the winner.

But it'll be good to be back, in the build up and first 15 minutes or so, before things start unravelling.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I had plans for a very full latter half of the weekend with up to three speedway meetings and a couple of football matches spread across East Anglia and the Midlands or South Coast. The weather and a family commitment has changed that to a less ambitious schedule.

I have a ticket for Brentford's friendly versus Valencia tomorrow as it seemed an intriguing and convenient way to see their new ground as I presume tickets for EPL games there will be very hard to come by. That will put me back at having seen all 31 London sides in the top seven tiers at their home grounds.

That game is a 5:30pm kick-off so I'll probably precede it with something local. CB Hounslow United v Redhill in the FA Cup Extra-Preliminary Round is the most likely though I may see QPR v Millwall if a couple of mates get their fingers out and come along.

May see a game Sunday afternoon too.

Comment

I initially planned to go up to Shrewsbury for the opening game of the season, but for various reasons that wasn't working out. Then Barry got a home draw in the MG Cup (the Welsh equivalent of the league cup) and I decided to go to that. It means I can pick up my season ticket as well.

Because the South Wales Alliance League has started so early, the teams can play (early) evening midweek matches even without floodlights at the moment, so I'm planning to see Grange Albion again on Wednesday. They are at home on Saturday in the FAW Trophy and then have 3 league games at home in a row, including two midweek games.

Comment

Liverpool v Athletic Bilbao at Anfield on Sunday and hoping to catch a non-league game on Saturday.

Comment

FAW Amateur Trophy action for me on Saturday, most likely at Llanfairfechan Town vs Gwalchmai.

If the bus (or. more specifically my catching of the bus) is late then I'll jump off a few stops earlier for Penmaenmawr Phoenix vs Menai Bridge Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            That game is a 5:30pm kick-off so I'll probably precede it with something local. CB Hounslow United v Redhill in the FA Cup Extra-Preliminary Round is the most likely though I may see QPR v Millwall if a couple of mates get their fingers out and come along.
            How sure can you be of making Brentford's 5.30pm kick-off following a 3pm game? I've never tried to travel in a hurry between two London grounds before, but guess it's perfectly possible if you know the quickest ways.

Zilina vs Pohronie on Sunday in the Slovak league for me. Zilina are pretty much fielding two XIs these days ; a league XI and a European XI. This week that's especially understandable, as they've travelled to and from Kazakhstan. It's worked fine so far too, as they're going well in the Conference League and have won two out of two domestically.

No idea what to expect from Pohronie, who have started the season with a 2-0 loss and a 2-0 win. They changed their coach and at least half the squad during the close-season. One of those leaving was the Slovak league's only English player, midfielder James Weir, formerly of Hull, Wigan and Bolton. He now plays for MTK Budapest.

I bought a Zilina half season-ticket yesterday. 36 Euros for 9 league games, plus next Thursday's return leg with Tobol. Proof of vaccination was needed to get it, but hopefully it means we can keep attending even if Covid cases rise again.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

How sure can you be of making Brentford's 5.30pm kick-off following a 3pm game? I've never tried to travel in a hurry between two London grounds before, but guess it's perfectly possible if you know the quickest ways.
              I can't be sure but relatively confident. It's around eight and a half miles so as long as I can get an Uber quickly from CBH's ground I should be OK. The fact that I can get away from there quickly and not get caught up in a big crowd and traffic as I would at Loftus Road is a factor in me likely choosing it, though it;s also because I always like to see a Cup tie.

Comment

Oh, I'm going to Charlton v Wimbledon in the League Cup on Tuesday too. I keep forgetting about that as it's ahead of the League season starting.

Comment

My only attempt to-date at a double header meant that I got stuck in a taxi in horrendous traffic when leaving a 12:30 Burnley v Spurs game to get to Accrington for a 3pm kick off (I don't leave games early and the taxi turned up late so we got stuck in a what became a car park of terraced streets). I was 35 minutes late and I wasn't wasn't the only one as a grumpy group of six others went through the Accrington late gate just before me.

Comment

Nothing for me this weekend except a probably damp barbecue and a visit to Bletchley Park, but I did book a ticket this morning for Wimbledon v Gillingham later in August, the prospect of which excites me immensely!

Comment

I've never tried in England. There are some nice (and leisurely) Czech/Slovak cross-border ones, especially if you start with a club that kicks off at 1015 or 1030.

Comment

Nothing this weekend as we'll be on our way to a week camping in Devon but the fact we're going with friends means I'll be able to get away for either Tavistock v Mousehole in the Western Premier League on Tuesday or Brixham v Ottery St Mary in the SW Peninsula on Wednesday.

Comment

I must admit my original plan for a double header was the Non-League Super Cup at Hornchurch where the FA Trophy winners are hosting the Vase-winning Warrington Rylands.

That was perfect as it's a 12:45pm k/o but I'm now picking up one of my children from something on the South Coast in the morning now.

I've done quite a few double-headers in various countries before and it is always a little anxiety-inducing but normally very workable. Famous last words, there.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-08-2021, 17:28.

Comment

I shall be visiting Gresty Road for the 3rd time, but first in about 14 years as Cheltenham return to the 3rd tier for the first time since 2009.

My first league away game since Boxing Day 2015, and my 10 year old's first ever away game.

I must be one of the few people to be giddy at the prospect of going to Crewe.

Comment

Well it is all change for you, personally.

Comment

At home to Walsall. Sounds like they are bringing a few, so the atmosphere should be the polar opposite to anything last season. Good riddance to iFollow.

Comment

Well, I won't be at the Brentford v Valencia game. I shall watch it on TV after returning from Mansfield v Bristol Rovers.

I've bought a ticket right behind the away dugout and I'll report back on Joey Barton's conduct.

Comment

Like WFD I shall be at Brunton Park for Carlisle v Colchester, although I'll be on the (mostly) uncovered terrace and therefore hoping the predicted thunderstorms skirt past us.

On Tuesday I'm going to watch us at Sheff Utd in the League Cup, first proper away game since Feb 2020.

On the subject of double headers I think I've done two - Crewe v Carlisle followed by Tranmere v Middlesbrough on Easter Monday 1994 and Hartlepool v Carlisle followed by Newcastle v Liverpool on New Years Day 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      Oh, I'm going to Charlton v Wimbledon in the League Cup on Tuesday too. I keep forgetting about that as it's ahead of the League season starting.
                                      Are Wimbledon not playing on Saturday?

Comment

Bohs women v Athlone Town, working, and I'll have one eye on the mens team away to Waterford on my phone.

Comment

My first attempt at a double header went fine. From Bristol to Barry in good time. Then 15 minutes into the second game the junction box on the floodlights at Jenner Park blew up.

The day I actually did a double I could have done a triple but decided to skip the 5pm Cardiff game which was apparently one of the worst 0-0 draws ever according to a German groundhopper who was at Barry for the evening game.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Are Wimbledon not playing on Saturday?
                                            Oh yeah, of course they are, away to Doncaster. Forgot that.

Even in normal times I feel a bit like if I'm not there then the game isn't really happening but with the first match proper at Plough Lane next weekend the opening league fixture is easy to overlook.

Comment

First trip to the new Brentford stadium for me. Looking forward to it. I'll need one more game after that to go up a level in the ticket distribution scheme, which might be useful if demand continues to be buoyant.

Comment

I'll be going to Tring Corinthians v New Bradwell St Peter, as Division 2 of the Spartan South Midlands League gets underway for the new season. Will need to keep an eye on the weather, as there's no cover at all.

Comment

The exotic sounding Shrewsbury v Burton today, and then Shrewsbury v Lincoln on Tuesday in the LC.

Yesterday, I watched Sussex get their first win in the Royal London Cup against Worcester at New Road.

It's just great to be back watching live sport.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X