Let's Have Another New Winner - FA Cup 2021/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Have Another New Winner - FA Cup 2021/22

This season's FA Cup starts on Saturday. The Extra Preliminary Round draw is here - https://www.footballinbracknell.co.u...ry-round-draw/

The reformed Macclesfield are here, playing Burscough. The East Midlands Great Names Club - Coventry Sphinx, Leicester Nirvana and Peterborough Northern Star - are all present and correct. And I see that the borrowed/stolen Buckingham Town, now in Milton Keynes (what is it about Milton Keynes?) as MK Irish, are in the mix. I still remember when Orient came to Buckingham in the First Round Proper and supposedly got their team coach stuck in the river after one of my parents' mates cheerfully told the driver that yes, that is a functioning ford.

As per the thread title, it's about time Norwich, Brighton or similar won this and felt the joy I felt in May. Failing that, someone who hasn't won anything for aaaaaages (i.e. since before I was born) - could Newcastle or Burnley bring unexpected sparkle to their seasons?

Anyone going to any of this weekend's games?

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
    As per the thread title, it's about time Norwich, Brighton or similar won this and felt the joy I felt in May. Failing that, someone who hasn't won anything for aaaaaages (i.e. since before I was born) - could Newcastle or Burnley bring unexpected sparkle to their seasons?
    Or Leicester again?

Comment

Steve Bruce has been offered a 3 year deal, so not Newcastle, then.

Comment

It's fair to say that Newcastle United have won the FA Cup in the past. Before even my time, mind...

Comment

Burnley wouldn't be new winners, either. You'd do well to find anyone who could remember it, though (1913-14).

Comment

I said "or someone who hasn't won it for aaaaages". Are you Wrexham? They'd be good winners, or Rotherham.

Comment

I'd be happy to see someone like Southampton or Leeds win it. Anyone except the Superleague splitters.

Comment

Are you Wrexham?
                Yep... although the name I've given them in my profile is probably more accurate right now.

It's about bloody time we went on another proper cup run (I mean, we've been to the 3rd round a couple of times in the last decade or so but it's mostly been qualifying round exits).

Although the media circus around the new ownership if we were to get a draw against a top flight side would be even more cringeworthy than it is now, so swings and roundabouts.

Comment

The East Midlands Great Names Club - Coventry Sphinx. Sprays tea all over keyboard.

Though (and all bias aside here), it did give the FA Cup some sparkle again to see a new winner on the trophy, a bit like Wigan a couple of years back. So as a new winner (and to keep the wife and her family happy) I'd like to see Crystal Palace winning it.

Comment

I'd like to see Sheffield Wednesday win it. It wouldn't be the fist time we ever have, but the first time since the end of the PreCambrian era.

Realistically though, I'll say Burnley

Comment

Not Newcastle please. Or the ESL lot, Or Leeds, Brighton, Norwich, Burnley, Soton or Wolves maybe. Howsabout Everton for the Mersey mischief value?

Comment

Newcastle reaching the final amid a load of hype and then putting in an abject performance at Wembley would have a nice late 90s nostalgia vibe though.

Comment

This season's FA Cup starts on Saturday. The Extra Preliminary Round draw is here - https://www.footballinbracknell.co.u...ry-round-draw/

Anyone going to any of this weekend's games?

I had hoped to see a couple at least of far-flung extra-preliminary round ties this weekend (they actually start on Friday rather than Saturday which is common, at this stage especially).as part of an orgy of football and speedway with my family away at a festival.

However, due a change in family plans and filthy weather forecast across the country I'm probably restricted to closer to home but still hope to see a tie locally Friday and/or Saturday.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-08-2021, 11:22.

Comment

A bit more thought about this, and my preferred "new" winner of the Cup would be Brentford this season.

Comment

So who's the "biggest" club who've never won the cup?

Comment

Anyone but Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea or Everton. Degrees of apathy/dislike for sides outside that group, would be genuinely quite pleased to see Norwich, Palace or West Brom win it. Or Liverpool obvs, but given recent efforts I think the trio above are a much likelier bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  So who's the "biggest" club who've never won the cup?
                                  It was Leicester, wasn't it? So...umm...yeah dunno. Watford? Palace?

Comment

Olympic medallists have been born since Spurs won anything.

Comment

Fulham? Maybe Palace?

Comment

Depends on how we measure "big". Historically successful? Currently top flight? Large fanbase?

There's a quartet of biggish Londonish clubs that have lost in finals - Fulham, Crystal Palace, QPR, Watford (hence the ish). Drop into the current championship and there are teams with reasonable sized fanbases who have never won it, like Middlebrough and Birmingham.

Comment

The early 1910s were a good half-decade for 'new names on the cup'. Newcastle won their first FA Cup in 1910 and then there was a string of new teams - Bradford City (1911) Barnsley (1912) and Burnley (1914).

Comment

I'll take getting past the 3rd round. Or even to the third round, initially.

Comment

If anyone is relying on Burnley looking at making the effort to have a Cup run... I believe that the appropriate phrase to adapt would be "you just don't get Turf Moor boardroom culture".

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                A bit more thought about this, and my preferred "new" winner of the Cup would be Brentford this season.
                                                Yes, I was thinking along those lines as well.

Comment

Time to add to our honours of the FA Trophy, FA Amateur Cup, Conference Shield and Anglo-Italian (semi-pro) Cup.

It's Wycomb-ing home!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X