No announcement yet.

The Season Starts Here! : Matchgoing July 30th - August 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, because it is crossing a river, not a road.

Look, I don't make the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      That can't be right. Wouldn't that make Tower Bridge, for example, Tower Flyover?

Eh! You'd struggle to build a road from Borough to Aldgate over the Thames.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Apparently a bridge connects OVER two naturally occurring points, a river, valley etc. A flyover is a high level bridge that connects two points that can also be reached by man made constructions such as a road. So basically a bypass in the sky.
        I think that's the word that should be included to make the point here.

Comment

No, it connects two naturally occurring points - the north bank and the south bank.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post

I think that's the word that should be included to make the point here.
            Ah yes, Fox'sfixedit

Comment

A couple of pics taken before the sleepy 0-0 I witnessed in Skalica last weekend.

Comment

Comment

535 of the 545 attendance were in the stand I took the second pic from. About 10 were in the stand opposite.

Comment

It was a lovely day yesterday, weather-wise. Today it's raining. I'm a bit worried the seat I've been allocated at tonight's game isn't undercover. Previously when TNS played at CC Stadium it was a case of "sit anywhere" from the stewards but I have a feeling they might be a bit more strict tonight what with the covid protocols and apparently it's a "test event".

Comment

Anstey Nomads 2 Leicester Nirvana 1
                      UCL Premier Division North
                      Att 148

Who could resist a match-up between two teams with names like these? Not me anyway so I made the journey the village of Anstey, just north of Leicester.

The Nomads took the lead with two early goals and it looked like Nirvana were in for a thrashing but managed to gradually play their way back into the game and were rewarded by an excellent goal with a swerving 25 yard shot that unfortunately occurred too late to make a difference.

The Nomads keeper looked strangely familiar to me and it turned out to be Conrad Logan who I'd seen playing for Mansfield the season before last so he's dropped from the 4th to the 9th tier. Good for him - I like to see old pros continuing to play for the love of the game. He has always had a sizeable physique but appears to have put on a few more pounds during lockdown. He certainly revelled in his role as senior player and was loudly berating the match officials and, after conceding the goal, his own right back.

Comment

Anstey Nomads' and Leicester Nirvana were my two options for a Saturday afternoon Cup tie this weekend prior to seeing the Leicester Lions speedway meeting that evening . The weather forecast has scuppered that but I'm not going to pretend the club names weren't a huge part of the appeal.

Comment

Alfold 3 East Preston 0
                          Southern Combination Premier
                          Dunsfold Road

A late departure after a busy work day meant I basically headed for my nearest new ground for my first competitive fixture of the season. It meant I saw two clubs I was almost completely ignorant of down on the Surrey/Sussex borders. I also didn't realise that fixtures for this league had started last weekend so this wasn't the opener I thought it was. I did find the idea of starting the season in midweek strange.

Alfold is a small village (it seems to claim to make much of the Top Gear test track nearby as it's claim to fame) with a neat little functional ground but a very warm and welcoming clubhouse which seems to be a hub for the area as a sports & social club. I was worried that I'd seen in advance that they'd merged with some youth/academy set up called Galaxy FC and changed their nice crest to incorporate Galaxy's sub-LA badge but there was no sign of it around.

The game was totally one-sided, The Fold walked in two goals with neat finishes within half and hour and from there it was just a case of how many they'd win by, Chances went begging until around the hour mark when a visiting defender made a comically blatant barge on a home forward in the box (EP seemed to favour the body check as a tactic all game) giving away a penalty. There was some debate as to who would take it until the coach screamed that the captain & centre half should, whereupon he promptly did so and fired it wide.

There was another goal disallowed for offside before East Preston managed their first "shot on target" (actually a tame header in to the keeper's arms) that I noticed around the 85th minute mark. Alfold wrapped up the scoring with a deserved third late on from another lovely strike, this time from range.

Comment

South Liverpool 4-2 Ashton Town
                            North West Counties Division One North

Historically South Liverpool have been one of the bigger non-league clubs on Merseyside, with achievements including winning the Welsh Cup in 1939 and being founder members of the Northern Premier League. Financial problems in the late 1980s saw them lose their ground (now Liverpool South Parkway Station) and their place in senior football. They reformed and, after a brief spell merged with Cheshire Lines, spent the next three decades playing in local football, most recently the West Cheshire League.

They moved to Jericho Lane, near Sefton Park, around 2000 and a ground known as the North Field. This was railed off but was unsuitable for moving up. A few years ago what had been the Jericho Lane Playing Fields (across the railway from the North Field) was converted into a football hub, with three artificial pitches and a gym. South Liverpool came to an agreement to use one of the pitches and have spent the last few years bringing it up to Step 6 standards, including cover and a small stand. This put them in position to be one of the clubs that the FA moved up the pyramid over the summer.

South Liverpool had lost their opening North West Counties game at Darwen on Saturday and this match, against another opening day loser, attracted a crowd of over 300. In the first half South looked energetic but seemed a bit naive at times. Ashton took the lead after fifteen minutes, with the home defence giving far too much space. The home side equalised but found themselves behind after more poor marking early in the second period. Ashton had a good spell with several chances to extend their lead but they were then pegged back from the penalty spot. This seemed to spur South Liverpool on and they took the lead from a corner, before a late fourth secured the points.

Comment

Viktoria Plzen have a giant centre forward wearing #9 and a defensive midfielder wearing #99.

Comment

And a player wearing 66

Comment

The New Saints 4 v 2 Viktoria Plzen
                                  UEFA Europa Conference League
                                  @ Cardiff City Stadium

Yeah, nobody had this on their predictions list. Two penalties helped TNS to a 4-0 lead. Their fourth goal was a beauty. I involuntarily jumped up and cheered when it went in. Two very late goals restored some credibility for the Czechs.

I successfully dodged the rain, only to get heavily splashed by a car going through a massive puddle as I walked to the pub afterwards for a late pint with my friend who had a shift tonight and couldn't get to the game.

Comment

Working...
                                  X